Sign in to follow this  
Adam

The Tennis thread

Adam    7,350

Has anyone been watching the French Open? Rafa Nadal has just been destroyed by Novak Djokovic, only his second ever defeat at the French Open in 11 years. Andy Murray looks likely to meet Novak in the semis, though he has just conceded the break up that he had in the third set against David Ferrer.

I really enjoyed the Federer-Wawrinka bout yesterday, Stan was best from start to finish and thorougly deserved the win.

Bobfoc    4,384

Djokovic is looking imperious at the moment. I'd be very surprised to see anyone else win the tournament now. I'd like to see Tsonga make the final because I enjoy watching him play, and a home favourite is always fun. Tsonga vs Murray would be my ideal scenario, but I have a feeling we'll see Wawrinka vs Djokovic instead.

Adam    7,350

Yeah I cannot see anyone stopping Djokovic.

Murray is about to throw the third set, poor collapse by him here and means he has to go through at least another set which does him no favours if he wants to be fully ready for Novak.

Lineker    35,314

Murray has pulled level with Bjok after being two sets down. Fifth and final deciding set now on Eurosport!

Lineker    35,314

...and Novak trounces him 6-1 in the clincher.

Adam    7,350

Decent comeback attempt by Andy, he should be very proud of his efforts on the clay this season and I hope he keeps his momentum going into Queens and Wimbledon.

Whisper    696

Are Murray/Djokovic likely to be 1 & 2 seeds, or will Federer be in there? I have no idea if Wimbledon seeds still go off past performances.

Just trying to decide whether Murray loses to Djokovic in the semis or the final.

• Like 1

Bobfoc    4,384

I'm not sure about the seedings question, but the point at which Djokovic and Murray could meet would depend on the draw. Either of the top two seeds can meet either of the third and fourth seeds in the semi-finals, and there's a similar system for all the other seeds as well. If Murray is seeded third, he could still face Djokovic in the final, but if he's seeded second, he definitely wouldn't be able to play him before that point.

Adam    7,350

Cannot believe how well Wawrinka played this week. I know he has it in him but it didn't look like anyone was capable of stopping Djokovic. Amazing achievement.

Wimbledon retains its seeding system of basing it on past performances as well as the current seeding, as far as I know. Hard to call whether or not Murray would be a top 2 seed, but if he's still below Federer in the world rankings I wouldn't call it likely that he would be seeded higher than 3rd.

Lineker    35,314
Rafael Nadal has just been dumped out of Queen's at the first hurdle. The Spaniard has lost in three sets to Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-3 6-7 6-4.

Baddar    108,666

It was in the paper yesterday about him needing to win this tournament to write off his 300k tax bill. Oops.

Lineker    35,314

Hewitt is out of Wimbledon already :(.

Adam    7,350

Been a good first day this, I'm currently watching Nishikori trying to stay ahead in the 5th against Bolelili. Hewitt lost in an epic final set, Liam Broady came from two sets down to win his first ever Slam match and Nick Kyrgios threatened to stop playing his match over a dubious line call.

Cymbols    2,473

How do Wimbledon players eat Strawberries?

11665507_1454471141242607_79694627809592

• Like 2

Lineker    35,314

Nadal could well be facing early elimination here. Dustin Brown wins as long as he doesn't lose his serve.

Adam    7,350

I'm watching Nick Kyrgios against Richard Gasquet at the minute, Kyrgios loses the first set and goes a break down early in the second. Gets a code violation from the umpire and has then come out and basically intentionally lost every point on a service return game. What the hell is wrong with him? A 20-year-old man acting like a 2-year-old. It's pathetic.

Lineker    35,314

Uncomfortable moments for Djok here against Kevin Anderson.

Cymbols    2,473

Let's go Ando! S'affrican is two sets up.

Lineker    35,314

Djokovic pulled it back in the end.

Murray looking good, two sets up in the quarters.

Bobfoc    4,384

Federer's through too. A semi-final against Djokovic could be a real stormer.

EDIT: Actually, it's Murray vs Federer. Still a stormer.

Edited by Bobfoc

Bobfoc    4,384

This is prime Federer material. Murray's actually making a good account of himself in the circumstances.