Sign in to follow this  
Adam

The Tennis thread

3 hours ago, Colly said:

I'm massively overthinking this, but is it really warranted? It's an international tournament that he's won twice, while Federer, Sampras and Borg are all far more justifiable. I know he's the home fella, but still. 

It's like Arsenal putting up a statue of Alan Smith instead of Thierry Henry. Obviously it isn't. Don't @ me. 

Football is a team sport, it's not the same.

Murray is the most successful British tennis player by a considerable distance in the modern era. 77 years without a Wimbledon champion and, really, nobody else ever coming remotely close except for Henman. You can count on one hand the British players who have made a Grand Slam final in the Open Era, and only two of those including Murray actually won one as well. He's won almost everything there is to win in the sport, he's done it in an era with three of the all-time greats, and he's been a role model through it all.

I agree with all of that, but my point is that all his achievements are in the context of him being a "British" star in an international event that just happens to be hosted in Britain. What makes him more worthy of a statue then more successful players at the tournament. 

And he's Scottish anyway... 

5 hours ago, Colly said:

I agree with all of that, but my point is that all his achievements are in the context of him being a "British" star in an international event that just happens to be hosted in Britain. What makes him more worthy of a statue then more successful players at the tournament. 

And he's Scottish anyway... 

I understood your point, but I feel the context of him being so important to British tennis, and it being the home of British tennis of course, makes him worthy of it. It's a different reasoning than measuring him up to the outright greats of Wimbledon like Federer and Sampras.

It's the All England Club. Brexit means Brexit. 

Like I said, I'm massively overthinking it. 

• Like 3

In a way, it's a shame we didn't get the rematch with Osaka.

On the other hand, Serena won't be winning this tournament which is great.

Right now – for the first time ever – there’s no male on the planet in his 20's who has won a grand slam title, with Croatian Marin Cilic’s 30th birthday in September bringing with it that extraordinary fact.

And there’s a fair chance this trend could continue for some time yet. While Djokovic and Nadal are 31 and 32 respectively they have both recovered from injuries to once again appear close to their physical peaks. There’s no reason why they can’t continue to push the limits of talent and time and dominate the Slam events for the foreseeable future even if Federer can’t add another Slam to his record mark of 20.

There’s three players under 21 in the top 30 of the rankings at the moment – Tsitsipas, Denis Shapovalov and Australian Alex de Minaur.

• Like 1

Glad to see Osaka get a win that didn't come under unpleasant circumstances. Good on Kvitova, though, for coming back after being stabbed.

And he 'accidentally' showed us a picture of his cock

NSFW spoiler'd

Spoiler

0_Screen-Shot-2019-01-29-at-145304.png

• Like 1