Tennis!

sahyder1

Guest Cereal Killer

Hewitt/Johansson is gonna be a good match-up not only because of their skill but because Johansson is dating Hewitt's sister. :lol:

I'd like to see Federer/Johansson, it would just be like Federer/Roddick because he's the Swedish version of A-Rod.

The inevitable Henman exit, as much as i want to believe hewitt can do it, he has the momentum for sure (26 straight victories? not a set dropped in the tourny), Federer out-classed Henman, and he is after all the #1 seed, bah, i'll go Hewitt in an upset!

The inevitable Henman exit, as much as i want to believe hewitt can do it, he has the momentum for sure (26 straight victories? not a set dropped in the tourny), Federer out-classed Henman, and he is after all the #1 seed, bah, i'll go Hewitt in an upset!

I'm going with Hewitt myself in 5 sets myself.

Sky Sports will broadcast a totally new format of tennis live from Wembley Arena, on Sunday October 3 2004. 

In Superset Tennis big-name players of the past and present, such as Tim Henman and John McEnroe, will battle it out in a one set, sudden death contest.

The eight players competing are current and former stars of the men’s circuit and the one-set format means a true test of skill rather than stamina.

The Superset tennis line-up reads like a who’s who of the international tennis scene:

· Tim Henman: Britain’s No.1 player, Henman has now made the semi-finals at three of the four Grand Slams and is current holder of the Paris Masters title.

· John McEnroe: Winner of seven Grand Slam titles, McEnroe’s skill and magnetism on and off court have made him a favourite through the years.

· Boris Becker: The youngest man ever to win Wimbledon, Becker lifted six Grand Slam titles and dominated men’s tennis into the early 90s.

· Goran Ivanisevic: The charismatic player won Wimbledon on a wild card entry in 2001 - defeating Henman at the Semi Final stage.

· Greg Rusedski: The British No.2 has had a tough year, but is fighting back to form.

· Mario Ancic: The young Croatian knocked Henman out of Wimbledon this year. How will he fare against him in a one-set format?

· Robby Ginepri: A versatile player, Ginepri has reached the last 16 at both Wimbledon and the Australian Open.

· Tommy Robredo: The young Spaniard reached the last 16 at this year’s Roland Garros and will be tough to beat on this hard-court surface.

The afternoon ‘Elimin8’ session pits all eight players against each other in four head-to-head sets. The winning four then go through to the ‘Superset Final4’ evening session with semi finals and a final, in which they compete for the £250,000 largest per set prize in tennis.

Speaking of the ground-breaking contest, John McEnroe said: “I think it’s going to be exciting. One set’s a better chance - a hell of a lot better chance than best of five. 

You go from zero to at least ten or fifteen, then I can maybe pull out a bit of an upset.”

Comments from the competitors:

Mario Ancic: “I look forward to coming to London to compete for the large purse. I have heard many great things from the players that were in Portland and look forward to this event.”

Boris Becker: “I love the winning, I can take the losing, but most of all I love to play.”

Robby Ginepri: “The crowd will get to see the players freaking out - I think it’s terrific. It’s better than having two guys out there playing hit-and-giggle.”

Tim Henman: “I think it is a fantastic concept and a chance to have some fun. I’m really looking forward to getting there and winning it.”

Goran Ivanisevic: “It is a great test for the players to know that there is no second chance. It is just strength of mind and power from the start.”

John McEnroe: “I can give anyone on the men’s tour a run for his money for a set or two.”

Tommy Robredo: “I am very excited to have the opportunity to play in such a unique event as Superset. I am sure that the tennis is going to be intense and that all of the players will really enjoy the experience.”

Greg Rusedski:  “Superset Tennis is a great idea because it will make it so much more exciting for the spectators.”

The basic rules of play:

· The basic rules and scoring of each game are unchanged.

· A match is won when one player wins six or more games, with a lead of two or more games. If one player reaches ten games without achieving a two game lead, then a regular tie-break will be played to decide the winner of the set and match.

· As every point counts and an incorrect call could make the difference between winning and losing £250,000, slow motion cameras and an independent video umpire can be called on by a player to overrule the chair umpire on any call.

· The player is permitted to question any amount of line calls, provided it is not seen as a disruptive tactic. If the Umpire sees it as a tactic, then a penalty system takes place.

· Coaches are allowed courtside, supporting and discussing tactics for a 30-second period on each change of end.

Should be fun to watch.

• 4 months later...

So, the Open starts in an hour and a half, what are everyones predictions?

I think Federer will win the men's, although I hope Hewitt or Henman win.

For women's, I want Sharapova to win, but I think that it will be either Lindsay Davenport, providing she is 100% or Anastasia Myskina.

And for anyone who is wondering, here is the order of play:

AUSTRALIAN OPEN, Melbourne Park

MONDAY SHOW COURTS ORDER OF PLAY

Rod Laver Arena (0000 GMT start)

S WILLIAMS US 7 v C Pin Fr WS

R FEDERER Swi 1 v F Santoro Fra MS

D Kindlmann Ger v A AGASSI US 8 MS

S Stosur Aus v A MAURESMO Fr 2 WS

M SAFIN Rus 4 v N Djokovic Ser MS

Vodafone Arena (0000 GMT start)

S KUZEN'OVA Rus 5 v J Kirkland US WS

S Draper Aus v T ROBREDO Sp 13 MS

G Garcia-Lopez Sp v C MOYA Sp 5 MS

S Kara'cheva Bul v M SHA'POVA Rus 4 WS

Seeds in CAPS

MS = Men's singles

WS = Women's singles

I am going to have to find a 4 hour tape somewhere and tap it tonight, I hate watching repeats, this way I won't look at the results and just watch the matches.

I'm hoping for a repeat of Wimbledon with Federer & Sharapova winning, but I have a feeling Federer might see his streak of 21 wins come to an end. I'll say either Safin or Hewitt will win if Roger doesn't.

The women's side isn't really all that intriguing to me with Davenport sick, and Capriati, Henin-Hardenne & Clijsters out. I hate the Williams sisters but Serena seems like she has an easy draw with Mauresmo in her Quarter. My money's on the Russians to make it 4 in a row with either Myskina or the winner of the Sharapova/Kuztnesova bracket taking it.

Edited by naiwf