Tennis!

sahyder1

Rusedski lost in the first round again. No change there then. I think that Roddick will reclaim his title due to the massive amount of support he will get because it is in his home country. I'm certainly hoping for a Roddick vs Federer final especially if they can produce a match like they did in the Wimbledon final.

Yeh, damn Greg!!

Anyone know when Henman is playing? Is it tomorrow?

The men's will I think be won by Federer or Ancic, I just feel this could be the time for Ancic to win a grandslam, don't ask me why.

The women's is a bit harder to predict, but I am going to go with Davenport or Serena

Henman starts off with Ivo Karlovic.

For those who might not know, Karlovic is a giant Croat (what Croats aren't these days?) who can serve thanks to his height, but with Henman's returning abilities and Karlovic's inability to hit either a forehand or backhand (like Roddick 2/3 years ago) Henman should get through, although don't get too down if there's a tie break.

Also i expect a Federer/Roddick final, with yet another Federer win, although Hewitt has been playing awesome recently and he looks like he could soon be back at the top.

The lack of Guillermo Coria makes me, very, very, sad however. As i am a huge Coria fan and would love to see him take a Grand Slam tournament.

Henman got through, it was a good match. I didn't expect him to lose, Federer also got through which wasn't suprising.

Serena hasn't been playing well so far but I am sure if she gets to the quarters she will get better, Sharapova's match was good, she dominated the first set and won with a whitewash.

Been a good tournament so far.

Order of Play: Day Five

US Open, Flushing Meadows

FRIDAY SHOW COURTS ORDER OF PLAY

Arthur Ashe Court (1600 BST)

M VENTO-K Col 31  v A MAURESMO Fr 2  WS

H Arazi Mor      v L HEWITT Aus 4  MS

J CAPRIATI US 8  v V Douchevina Rus WS

(starting at 0000 BST)

T GOLOVIN Fr 30  v S WILLIAMS US 3  WS

R Nadal Sp        v A RODDICK US 2  MS

Louis Armstrong Court (1600 BST)

T Haas Ger        v S GROSJEAN Fr 12 MS

P SCHNYDER Swi 15 v D H'tuchova Svk  WS

F SCHIAVONE It 16 v A Haynes US      WS

D N'BANDIAN Arg 8 v M Youzhny Rus    MS

Seeds in CAPS

MS = Men's singles

WS = Women's singles

US Open, Flushing Meadows

FRIDAY SHOW COURTS ORDER OF PLAY

Grandstand (1600 BST)

J Kostanic Cro    v A S'IYAMA Jpn 12 WS

JC FERRERO Sp 7  v S Koubek Aut    MS

JM Gambill US    v J J'NSSON Swe 28 MS

E D'ENTIEVA Rus 6 v N DECHY Fr 28    WS

Seeds in CAPS

MS = Men's singles

WS = Women's singles

source: bbc.co.uk/sport

The match that stands out there is obviously Seb Grosjean and Tommy Haas. That should be a great match and I hope Seb gets through.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Yeh, he probably will, I am really looking foward to a Agassi/Federer 1/4 final, so they better not get knocked out before then.

And dammit Grosjean, I wanted him to do well, he is one of my favourite players.

I was watching that Schivonae (sp?) match earlier, and is it me, or is she another Mauresmo, she looks awfully like a man.

I don't think Mauresmo looks like a man. I think Vitali Klitschko punched Myskina in the face a couple of times though, she looks like a dog. Plus who saw the Hantuchova match, talk about choking worse than Gaudio or Coria, sheesh.

For everyone's information Hantuchova is pronounced, "Han-ta-cove-a" not, "Hon-two-ca-va", stupid American commentators, worse than the commentators on the Mardy Fish vs. David Ferrer match who blethered on through points about Andy Roddick, John McEnroe and in particularly, Jimmy Connors, coincedrentally all American.

wCwCreator, I doubt Roddick will win, Roger Federer is upping him every time and although their is a first time for everything, i don't see it happening now, and i want Federer to annihilate Roddick now, Coria pulled out before the tournament, Safin is just...bad now, and Roddick goes and knocks out my Nadal, MY Rafael Nadal, he will pay. Nadal isn't back to 100% yet anyways.

So, it's down to my fourth favourite now...Go Moya! I'd love to see him take on Federer in the Semi's, how awesome would that be? Secondely Agassi won't be retiring after the open, he's playing well, and if he was to retire, it would be at the end of the season, December, but i predict he'll churn out a few more years.

And everyone leave Sharapova alone, she's mine :D. I'm still in shock that, before the event, i predicted her to win Wimbledon, and she did...unfortunately i see Davenport winning it now, which is a bitch because she said Sharapova wasn't worth the hype...6-1, 6-4 over Serena Williams, that shut her up.

I predicted Sharapova to win Wimbledon 2003

Maybe that was a bit too early, but you know. Everyone knew she would be a star, when I saw her first match at Wimbledon 2003, she looked awesome. She is going to rule women's tennis for years to come.

EDIT: Well. That was a shock, I didnt expect Pierce to win, but she deserved it, Sharapova wasn't very good in that match and made way too many double faults. Congrats to Pierce.

Edited by Gooner4Life

Davenport will win it. Quote me on it.

*sniffle* *sniffle* ... CARLOS!!!!!! Losing to some 5' 5" Belgian...you don't do that....:@.

And Tim Henman won...whoopdeedoo.

Interesting facts.

Tim Henman, in 3 matches, has played 14 sets.

Andy Roddick, in 2 matches, has only dropped 11 games.

Roger Federer dropped 11 games to Albert Costa.

Andy Roddick has played the minimum amount of sets possible.

Although all fingers point in Roddicks direction, Federer will win.

IAceI's predictions:

Mens: Federer

Womens: Davenport

I'm doing well so far, which i'm happy about, at Wimbledon i said Tim and Sharapova would win, i should have said Federer but meh. So far i'm going well.

After a brilliant fight back in the first set from 4-0 down, Henman managed to get it into a tie-breaker but unfortunately lost. Then midway through the second set went on a ten game winning streak taking the third set and he has just taken the fourth 6-1. Looks like he may be on course for his first US Open quater final. Come on Tim!

I'd like to see Davenport & Federer win here, and they were my picks pre tournament, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both get knocked out before the final. Saturday was awesome, but yesterday's matches all sucked. Let's hope things pick up as week 2 progresses.