The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

• Admin

Former Newcastle United player Jonas Gutierrez is suing the club over the way he says they treated him after he was diagnosed with testicular cancer.

The Argentina international, 32, was released by the Magpies last season after seven years on Tyneside.

He returned to action in March after 18 months of treatment and recovery.

Gutierrez is alleging disability discrimination by the club and an employment tribunal is due to hear the case next March.

The player helped Newcastle to avoid relegation from the Premier League with a goal in a 2-0 win over West Ham on the final day of last season - one of only 10 appearances he made for the club following his initial diagnosis in 2013.

However, he was released shortly afterwards and now plays for Deportivo La Coruna in Spain.

In June he told the BBC how the club made him feel like they "don't care" by telling him they were releasing him in a phone call.

He had surgery in October 2013 after being diagnosed with cancer, then received chemotherapy when it returned. He was finally given the all-clear to play again earlier this year.

Does he really have a legal leg to stand on? I mean they paid his wages and when he was fully fit, he played. The way they handled it was shit but I don't think anything illegal was done.

That's what I was thinking. He signed a four year contract in 2011, and was presumably released at the end of his contract or paid what he was owed. Is it really that out of sorts to think a 32 year old midfielder at the end of his contract would be let go? There's got to be more to it, surely?

• Like 1

Does he really have a legal leg to stand on? I mean they paid his wages and when he was fully fit, he played. The way they handled it was shit but I don't think anything illegal was done.

That's what I was thinking. He signed a four year contract in 2011, and was presumably released at the end of his contract or paid what he was owed. Is it really that out of sorts to think a 32 year old midfielder at the end of his contract would be let go? There's got to be more to it, surely?

Its gotta be behind the scenes stuff. It's the only thing that makes sense with this. On the face of it they let him go at the end of his contract that's all we know. Did it via phone which was a bit shitty but that's about it. 

Its gotta be behind the scenes stuff. It's the only thing that makes sense with this. On the face of it they let him go at the end of his contract that's all we know. Did it via phone which was a bit shitty but that's about it. 

At least it wasn't via teletext

• Like 1