The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

James McClean is a massive prick.

Is he though? He certainly has reason enough to dislike this country and the actions of its government in Northern Ireland...

• Like 2

If anybody grew up where James McClean did then they'd be uncomfortable with God Save the Queen.

I don't particularly like standing for it either whenever I'm around it. History is pretty important where he came from and given the persecution the people in his area went through, I fully understand why he does what he does. It's not hurting anybody.

• Like 2

If anybody grew up where James McClean did then they'd be uncomfortable with God Save the Queen.

I don't particularly like standing for it either whenever I'm around it. History is pretty important where he came from and given the persecution the people in his area went through, I fully understand why he does what he does. It's not hurting anybody.

Whilst I agree in principal, he doesn't need to make a point of turning his back on it. He could just stand there and do nothing. No one is asking him to sing the national anthem, or even to respect it. But there's really no need to actively disrespect it - that's basically just screaming, "look at me, I've got a point to prove". Not the smartest idea when you're employed in England, by an English company.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree in principal, he doesn't need to make a point of turning his back on it. He could just stand there and do nothing. No one is asking him to sing the national anthem, or even to respect it. But there's really no need to actively disrespect it - that's basically just screaming, "look at me, I've got a point to prove". Not the smartest idea when you're employed in England, by an English company.

Exactly this. If Martin McGuinness can shake hands with the Queen then James McClean should be able to go a year without making a point of how much he hates the English while he's playing for English clubs.

Edited by Dan