The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

1 hour ago, stokeriño said:

Today I learned that Graeme Souness had named Branislav Ivanovic in his 2015/16 Premier League team of the season.

There are no words.

Seriously?

I mean, Simpson is pretty shit, Zabaleta has missed most of the season, but you've still got the likes of Clyne, Bellerin, and arguably Walker before you even think about looking at Chelsea.

It's not just that Bran has been shit - he was actually the stand-out worst player amongst a whole team of massively-underperforming players during much of the first half of the season.

• Like 1

Every time I've seen him play recently (bar the Arsenal defeat where he got sent off) he's been perfectly fine. I don't really think Leicester have a weak link, this same 11 is churning out win after win and crucially, the back line is keeping clean sheets almost every game. Simpson is very much a part of that. I'm not saying he'd be in my team of the year either mind, but to say he is pretty shit is doing him a disservice in my opinion. I could point to plenty of example of players who are shit, and Simpson wouldn't be in there nor would any body playing regularly in that Leicester team.

2 hours ago, Social Justice Nerf said:

Seriously?

I mean, Simpson is pretty shit, Zabaleta has missed most of the season, but you've still got the likes of Clyne, Bellerin, and arguably Walker before you even think about looking at Chelsea.

No arguably, Walker's been excellent. He provides a huge attack threat, his awareness and tactical discipline has improved and he's part of the best defence in the Premier League. 

And yeah, I'm definitely going to milk Spurs having the best defence in the league. Like, when has that ever been a thing ever

• Like 1

Walker has improved a fair amount this year defensively. To me he's resembled the problem a lot of modern day fullbacks have in that going forward wasn't an issue but he was questionable in terms of defending. 

I think Walker and Clyne have been great this year. Clyne for us has been so consistent and solid. 

Probably pretty close to that without putting too much thought into it, in fact probably only Bellerin I might change. Although Schmeichel and Lloris probably run De Gear pretty close 

Liverpool have signed some one from Bayern!

Bayerns fitness coach Andreas Kornmayer will be Liverpool's new head Fitness Coach replacing Ryland Morgan  

8 hours ago, MJB said:

So what is EWB's team of the year so far? Mine ...

De Gea, Bellerin, Tobes, Huth, Fuchs, Kante, Payet, Alli, Mahrez, Vardy, Kane.

Change Huth to Wes Morgan.  

Goalkeeper I would go with Lloris as he's been a big part of Tottenham hardly conceding. 

There's people like Doumbia who I think have been outstanding yet will get unnoticed compared to Kante and Alli. 

12 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Because De Laet is 1. On loan at Middlesbrough and 2. Not that good.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of RDL and all he's done for us, but Simpson is a way more consistent player, and better in the role Claudio gives him.

9 hours ago, MJB said:

So what is EWB's team of the year so far? Mine ...

Can I just nominate our First XI and be done with it? :shifty:

• Like 1