Sky Bet Football League thread 2015/16

Lineker

• Admin
The involvement of the Pittsburgh Steelers owner, who supported the plans in a video shown to the 72 clubs before they voted to back the proposals, is a coup for the Football League chairman, Greg Clarke, who came under fire last year when he rejected calls to introduce the Rooney rule and hit out at the “shrill voices” of “vested interests”.
The Football League launched a review in October 2014 in a bid to improve diversity and encourage more black and ethnic minority candidates for coaching and management jobs. At present, there are just five across all 72 clubs.
Under the new proposals it will be mandatory for Football League clubs to interview at least one Black, Asian or minority ethnic (BAME) candidate for all youth development roles that require at least a Uefa B licence.
Clubs will also agree to adopt a voluntary recruitment code for first team managers under which they will agree to interview at a least one BAME candidate for any managerial or coaching position except in the specific instance of an individual being recruited from another club on terms agreed between the two parties.
---
The Blackpool chairman, Karl Oyston, has admitted to five breaches of Football Association rules for a text message exchange in which he called a supporter of the club “a retard”.
The FA first opened an inquiry into Oyston’s conversations with Stephen Smith last December and followed that up by bringing a charge against him in March. Oyston denied that charge one month later and challenged it as “unlawful”, a claim which the governing body last week announced was dismissed by an arbitral tribunal.
Now, the FA has confirmed a hearing on the matter will take place next Tuesday.
Oyston’s attempt to quash the FA’s charge centred on his argument that his exchange with Smith was a private one and should therefore be exempt from its rules. However, a tribunal rejected that notion and gave the FA the green light to continue with disciplinary proceedings against the 47-year-old.
Oyston has been charged with using “abusive and/or insulting words”, with reference to disability, which amounts to five breaches of FA rule E3.
It was that rule which the former Wigan chairman Dave Whelan breached when he made comments to the Guardian regarding Jewish people and the Jewish Telegraph regarding Chinese people as he attempted to defend the controversial appointment of Malky Mackay. Whelan’s punishment included a six-week ban from all football-related activity, a £50,000 fine and a mandatory education programme.
Oyston’s run-in with Smith occurred after the chairman’s mobile number was posted on a social media website. The chairman later apologised for the content of the texts in a statement published on the club’s website and stressed he had regretted responding to personal abuse.
---
Also, I now need a Football League team to support this year! <_<

Well I say eliminate all teams that play in yellow, red or white, and work from there. That way when the new team makes the top flight their kit will stand out in the Lineker Premier League home kit.

Why not go green and support Plymouth or Yeovil? Or feeling a little bit blue; Reading or Brighton?

Also, don't support Reading. What a bland, boring club.

And support Luton? Jog on.

I like that Luton is a problem but everyone's favourite club Millwall isn't :P

The Rooney rule is fucking dumb, John Barnes isn't getting rejected from jobs because he's black, he's getting rejected because he's fucking garbage. I'm just flat out not having it that 90% of football league chairmen are racist, I'm sure a couple are but it's the minority.

Plus all that happens, as evidenced by the NFL, is the same black coaches get interviewed for every vacancy going. Then hey don't get the job. Rinse, repeat.

The Rooney Rule does nothing to help represent minority managers. It's stupid.

Engaging more black players ending their careers with the idea of coaching/management would work better.

I don't think the Rooney rule is dumb. It is an old boys club. The old boys are primarily white. It's a vicious circle that needs positive discrimination to at least get things moving in the right direction.

If a black guy is garbage, it doesn't mean he'll get the job - he still has to actually be good.

Plus all that happens, as evidenced by the NFL, is the same black coaches get interviewed for every vacancy going. Then hey don't get the job. Rinse, repeat.

The Rooney Rule does nothing to help represent minority managers. It's stupid.

Engaging more black players ending their careers with the idea of coaching/management would work better.

As can be seen by the NFL, there are more black coaches.

• Like 2

There are six head coaches of an ethnic minority in the NFL out of 32 such jobs. The league is comprised of 73% of players of an ethnic minority. That is a gap of over 50%.

The NFL and the Rooney Rule does bugger all to help black coaches get hired. They get a token interview where if the team is run by a big old racist he still isn't going to hire them. Any progression made is general progression you can see in most boardrooms across the world, not something facilitated by the Rooney Rule.

The NFL, and the football league, need to engage with black players and motivate them to want to coach. They need to help give them the tools to do so. Positive discrimation has its place but the Rooney Rule means absolutely nothing without engagement with black players to get them to move into coaching.

There are six head coaches of an ethnic minority in the NFL out of 32 such jobs. The league is comprised of 73% of players of an ethnic minority. That is a gap of over 50%.

The NFL and the Rooney Rule does bugger all to help black coaches get hired. They get a token interview where if the team is run by a big old racist he still isn't going to hire them. Any progression made is general progression you can see in most boardrooms across the world, not something facilitated by the Rooney Rule.

The NFL, and the football league, need to engage with black players and motivate them to want to coach. They need to help give them the tools to do so. Positive discrimation has its place but the Rooney Rule means absolutely nothing without engagement with black players to get them to move into coaching.

There are more black people coaching than there was before the rule.

Those stats are pointless. The Rooney Rule isn't there to make it so that they equate.

I'm not saying it is perfect. Considering how many black footballers there are, there arguably should be more coaches who are black.

• Like 1

I've heard that black players usually aren't encouraged to get into coaching, for whatever reason. A lot of them tend to move onto something else, which is presumably what needs to be addressed first and foremost if more black coaches are going to emerge. Not being involved in professional football myself, I can't know whether or not football is institutionally racist, but I do think that Paul Ince and John Barnes, who both have very poor managerial records, aren't the best spokespeople for the movement to convince unaffected parties of the validity of a Rooney Rule.

• Like 1

Looks like Wednesday are replacing Stuart Gray with Carlos Carvalhal, former Sporting Lisbon and Besiktas coach. Not heard of him before, but can't be all that bad if he's coached those two clubs.

Fanbase seems split, but he can't be much worse than most of the guff we've had since Ron Atkinson left for the second time back in the late 90's. Not an established name in English football, but neither were two of the three managers that got promoted out of the Championship last season.