Sky Bet Football League thread 2015/16

Lineker

I listened to Dickov and Flitcroft recap it at lunch, sounds a bit mental but good on Dickov.  If they miss out on staying up or going up (Haven't a Scooby what their expectations are this year) by 1 or 2 points now though they only have themselves to blame >_>

My opinion on it is that that wouldn't be felt as the case, if we hadn't scored by accident the game was almost certainly ending in a 0-0 draw, and as soon as he scored I said we would let them walk in an equaliser. It is only right, I would hate to earn promotion/survive relegation (it could honestly be either, as far as our expectations go) based off of an accidental goal and mean spirited reaction. Bury deserved a point too. It is about the integrity of the game for me, and Paul Dickov did the right thing. In fact, if anything it could inadvertently benefit us come the end of the season in the event we go up/stay up by virtue of one goal scored, which would be this one.

Two seasons ago we got relegated from the Championship in injury time, on goal difference, losing out on 21st spot to Birmingham. Earlier in the season, we had had a game away at Charlton abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch at half time whilst we were 3-1 up. Charlton did everything they could to get the referee to abandon the game, whilst our players actually came out during half time and helped to sweep the water from the pitch. We lost the replayed game 3-0. Had that game not been wrongly abandoned, we would have stayed up that season. That's a better example of something like this coming back to haunt you, but it wasn't our fault.

• Like 1

Football League Tonight is actually a half decent programme.

Really? It must've changed completely since the first one then. I haven't seen this weeks but the first episode was one of the most shambolic episodes of television I think I've ever seen. Just drastically terrible from start to finish.

I doubt I'll even watch this weeks, we played on Sunday, it finished 0-0 and I was at the game anyway. Plus I've no real interest in a wooden ex-footballer giving constant drab, basic opinions on everything while a load of people stand around awkwardly for "banter".

• Like 1

• Admin

Well he's not a striker so that shouldn't really be an issue.

Plays sort of in the hole iirc. And fell victim to Watford playing two up top. 

Blackpool have distanced themselves from an abusive tweet from one of their official accounts that called a supporter an “arsehole wanker” during an argument over the state of the Bloomfield Road pitch.

Football League Tonight is actually a half decent programme.

Really? It must've changed completely since the first one then. I haven't seen this weeks but the first episode was one of the most shambolic episodes of television I think I've ever seen. Just drastically terrible from start to finish.

I doubt I'll even watch this weeks, we played on Sunday, it finished 0-0 and I was at the game anyway. Plus I've no real interest in a wooden ex-footballer giving constant drab, basic opinions on everything while a load of people stand around awkwardly for "banter".

Wasn't that the normal Football League show anyway except without an audience? Would a possible three night Football League coverage be a good idea? I haven't seen the new football league show due to being in Belfast the first weekend and being at a house party on Saturday.

Maybe have an hour for each league spread over three nights or an hour on the Championship and an hour for League One and Two.

The first episode was just rank bad all over the place. Highlights flitted from league to league for no real rhyme or reason, the presenters kept offering utterly useless (and sometimes inaccurate) snippets and they just spent far too much time on meaningless guff instead of actual football highlights. A grainy online video of Michael Vaughan talking up Sheffield Wednesday as if he's down the pub? Why devote a minute or two to that when you already have to cram so many matches into such a short space of time. Adam Virgo offered very little and clearly wasn't comfortable as a presenter, Martin Allen rambled on for ages about irrelevant things, the audience just looked really awkward and pointless, and the entire experience was just irritating to watch. It seems impossible to get this right but I really don't think it is.

I remember the initial offerings of BBC's show when they took it over from ITV and it was poor, and of course it improved over time as they got used to it and ironed out the kinks but this Channel 5 show, to me, has a hell of a lot more that it needs to sort out.

I do like the idea of the coverage being spread maybe over two nights - have the "main show" for in-depth coverage of the Championship on Saturdays, then either on Sunday mornings or evenings have a companion show that shows all the goals from Leagues 1 & 2 with a couple of extended highlights. I'm certainly not motivated to stay up late just to see 30 seconds of my L1 team's goals, so stick it on Sunday like ITV used to. Plus, in international break weeks you can have L1/L2 get more focus by having them as the main show in the absence of the Championship.

Edited by Adam.