WWE 2K16

I really wish there was a "tutorial" for the submission system. I just can't get it right and lost a random tag team match to Cesaro and Kidd to a generic submission. I understand the theory of what to do, just doesn't seem to work in practise. It switches direction half way through doing it

Your winner and NEEEEEEEEEEEW Intercontinental Champion!!!

MyCareer is a lot of a grind. It took me a year to get the IC belt. In saying that, its also interesting. I can't imagine how much harder it would be as a Face though. The Authority SP bonus helps out my heel a bit.

Having unveiled some of the secret tasks via the Showcase, I have determined that I am never, ever going to get all the Unlockables the old-fashioned way. Beat Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XIV on Legendary mode? Pfffffffft yeah no.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Your winner and NEEEEEEEEEEEW Intercontinental Champion!!!

MyCareer is a lot of a grind. It took me a year to get the IC belt. In saying that, its also interesting. I can't imagine how much harder it would be as a Face though. The Authority SP bonus helps out my heel a bit.

Doing the Authority bonuses doesn't make you a heel, if that's what you mean. You still get them as a face and it doesn't change your meter, as far as I know.

I challanged Kevin Owens yesterday (current champion), i was only rank four so i guess thats why he barely lost any HP when i attacked him, even with Emma helping me whenever she can and a million finisher reversals and kickouts i was not even able to get him into the red and the feud ended after that one match on a normal NXT.
I know he is at 90 overall or something, but yaiks! The pain!

I also think winning a feud increased my states without me putting points in? At least i feel like i jumped from 70 to 74 while i was saving up for the Manager skill.

Edited by Herr Matzat

37 minutes ago, Herr Matzat said:

I challanged Kevin Owens yesterday (current champion), i was only rank four so i guess thats why he barely lost any HP when i attacked him, even with Emma helping me whenever she can and a million finisher reversals and kickouts i was not even able to get him into the red and the feud ended after that one match on a normal NXT.
I know he is at 90 overall or something, but yaiks! The pain!

This is what happened when I challenged Cena (US champ) despite being ranked #5. I think they do it as punishment for our impatience. :shifty: 

I've not played a game with 'WWE Universe' mode before and...I don't think I really get it.

I can edit the rosters/shows/belts. Okay. I can assign 'rivalries', which (so long as I force them into actually meeting by manually editing the show matches each week) prompt the appearance of a screen that features some details about the participants (face/heel status and some other stuff). No real idea what they achieve. Plus I notice that said rivalries will sit there saying '0 weeks to go' forever until I delete them, which seems clumsy at best.

Since those don't seem to serve much purpose, and title matches can only happen on PPVs, there seems little point in actually doing anything on the TV shows and I may as well just sim through their random match selections as they first appear. So what the WWE Universe mode ends up being, in the end, is a fairly long-winded way to get a set of 6 or 7 matches that might be deemed 'a pay-per-view', which TBH I feel like I may as well just book in normal Play mode and cut out the wasted simulation time.

What, if anything, am I missing here?

Yeah, if you try to jump the rankings, you'll be destroyed. I did it twice against Luke Harper (IC Champ) and both times Harper just destroyed me. Then after he dropped the belt, he became my WM Feud, and I beat him on the Grandest Stage of Them All in an epic match. A month later I had my IC belt as the #1 Contender, and the title match was a /lot/ easier.

7 hours ago, stokeriño said:

I've not played a game with 'WWE Universe' mode before and...I don't think I really get it.

I can edit the rosters/shows/belts. Okay. I can assign 'rivalries', which (so long as I force them into actually meeting by manually editing the show matches each week) prompt the appearance of a screen that features some details about the participants (face/heel status and some other stuff). No real idea what they achieve. Plus I notice that said rivalries will sit there saying '0 weeks to go' forever until I delete them, which seems clumsy at best.

Since those don't seem to serve much purpose, and title matches can only happen on PPVs, there seems little point in actually doing anything on the TV shows and I may as well just sim through their random match selections as they first appear. So what the WWE Universe mode ends up being, in the end, is a fairly long-winded way to get a set of 6 or 7 matches that might be deemed 'a pay-per-view', which TBH I feel like I may as well just book in normal Play mode and cut out the wasted simulation time.

What, if anything, am I missing here?

To me, Universe has always sounded like something that is great on paper but the execution isn't up to scratch.

I did read that the title matches only on PPV thing was a confirmed bug, and 2K are addressing it soon.

It's been addressed this morning in a patch. Universe mode is a right clart on, all you get is them facing each other for four weeks and then at the PPV and they have falls count anywhere and extreme rules matches on Raw in the buildup, I barely ever use it myself.

Did 2K fix the problem THQ kept having with Universe and the MITB participants? I think it was something along the lines of the winner not actually holding the briefcase if you chose the people fighting for it yourself. 

I haven't yet played a WWE game that has Universe, but it does sound like a mode that would only be fun if you're booking literally everything yourself. What's the general opinion on it?

Universe mode is something that promises a lot but due to the restrictions of the game can never quite reach those levels. The bread and butter of the game is the wrestling, it may not be a perfect sim but understandably that's where the focus needs to be. I think that's why the career mode has been generally well received and seems to have been built on brilliantly this year (not far into it so can't judge personally - I'd rather not have this submission system, half hourish of flipping Enzo to the floor wasn't a great intro!) and Showcase is a good example too. 

Universe to be done really well would probably need almost the entire years design (minimum) devoted to it. At the moment it makes an effort to tell storylines and put things together but when you've got something that might have one or two things slowly going on alongside hosts of nothing matches between people you have no interest in playing it wears thin. It's great that I can set up the game so that alongside Raw and Smackdown (plus NXT now) I can have Impact Wrestling, Progress and New Japan with the appropriate rosters, arenas, titles and pay per views but once the set up is done and you might have got through a month or two you rapidly reach a "can't be bothered" phase. If the AI and engine were good enough I could sort of see me running a watcher game like I do on Fire Pro but really you want to be able to have more say and book it yourself as in the current system you'd just do it yourself via normal mode.

Universe mode is worth it just for the wacky stuff that is happening.

As i write this i watch a MITB cash in match at night of champions. The world title was not on the line because BNB is also the US Champion. (second time i had a double champion like that in simulating 2 1/2 years). For some reason Brock did not just go F5 and win but BNB got a very competetiv match out of this almost winning with a bullhammer and having his feet on the robe during the cover. I dident even know Brock had the MITB Briefcase and while at first i thought "thank god" and in the end it actualy had me roting for a blody BNB. (these matches were both very far away from the mainevent)
Earlier that year i had Danial Bryan cash in MITB at Wrestlemania to beat Dean Ambrose who just had to beat the Rumble winner Jack Swagger. Somehow inbetwen than and now Kane and BNB were fighting for the title.

Brock currently is in a rivalrie with Heath Slater by the way. Mark Henry is Number one contender while the Undertaker shoots for US Title gold soon. >_>

I don´t spend to much time on this (i skip a ton), but when cleaning my room or something alike i like to just see what happens.

Random skip ahead. Survivor Series Main event, the new day vs Konnor and Viktor. :D
Co Mainevent is a Team Undertaker vs Team Brock Elimination Match wich is pretty cool.

I think it´s hillarius. :D

Update, Survior Series tag aperently means that it´s a 3 v 3 and the first pin wins the match. Undertaker vs brock just got ended by Y2J pinning Christian. >_>

Edited by Herr Matzat

Picked this up last night, and started playing this morning. Having not played a non Fire Pro wrestling game any amount since No Mercy, the learning curve is a bit steep. My biggest issue (surprise, surprise) is this God damn submission system. I understand the concept of what I need to do, but the bar doesn't move at all like it's supposed to. Or at least it doesn't seem that way to me. 

When you need to go online to try and learn a particular gameplay system...it's a bad system. Or maybe I'm just dense.

• Like 1

Right now I'm ranked #3 in NXT, with Finn Balor #2 and...Kalisto beign #1:huh:

My first match as #3 was against Titus O'Niel and DAMN, did he whoop my ass!  I couldn't get a move off against him...everything I tried whether a grapple or strike he'd just reverse right away.  Eventually, I got thrown out of the ring and my health bar was red (and half drained) before I even had him at yellow.  But then the tides changed!  I managed to reverse an irish whip outside the ring, slamming him into the post.  While he was down I got a few stomps in, then a DDT when he was on his knees before I slid back into the ring, hoping for a countout.  He managed to get back in during the refs INSANELY long pause between 9 and 10.  But now, feeling like I have the upper hand, I went on offense.  Few more stomps, a leg drop, then picking him up and hitting a neck breaker gave me my signature move (an enziguri), which he fucking reversed!  And now has his signature move, which hit, then gave him his finisher, which he also hit!  HE covers me...1...2...and I manage to somehow kick out.  Seriously had the kickout meter filled even another millimeter, he would've won.  Rolled out of the ring to gather myself, he comes out and we brawl outside the ring a bit, both going back in at the count of 6.  Dropkick, pick up, reverse DDT and standing moonsault by me and I'm back to my signature move, which I do while he's getting up.  Finally hit my finisher (The Flatliner) and get the pin.  Wound up with a 4 1/2 star rating