UEFA Champions League 2015/16

Lineker

• Admin

Manchester United will face Belgian side Club Brugge in the Champions League play-off round, while Celtic have been drawn to play Swedish champions Malmo.

Club Brugge finished second in Belgium’s top flight last season and will be looking to reach the group stage for the first time since 2005-06. They defeated Panathinaikos 4-2 in the third qualifying round but on paper would appear to be a preferable draw to Lazio, Monaco or CSKA Moscow, who Louis van Gaal’s side could also have faced.

Van Gaal, who faced Club Brugge during his second spell with Barcelona and played in Belgium with Antwerp for four years, said: “It will be nice to go back to Belgium, I have good memories of my time playing there for Antwerp.

“In fact my debut for Antwerp was against Club Brugge and during my time as manager at Barcelona we played them in the group stages. Over two legs we have to be confident against any team, we are determined to progress in the competition.”

Celtic will feel contented, too, that they have avoided potential trips to Kazakhstan or Albania, instead facing a relatively straightforward journey to Sweden. But last year’s group stage contenders Malmo, who overturned a 2-0 first-leg deficit to beat Red Bull Salzburg 3-2 on aggregate in the third qualifying round, will prove a difficult hurdle for Ronny Deila’s side.

Both British clubs will play at home in the first legs, which will take place on Tuesday 18 August of Wednesday 19 August. The return fixtures are scheduled for Tuesday 25 August or Wednesday 26 August.

The draw in full
Astana (Kazakhstan) v Apoel Nicosia (Cyprus)
Skenderbeu (Albania) v Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)
Celtic (Scotland) v Malmo (Sweden)
Basel (Switzerland) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv (Israel)
BATE (Belarus) v Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)
Lazio (Italy) v Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)
Manchester Utd (England) v Club Brugge (Belgium)
Sporting (Portugal) v CSKA Moscow (Russia)
Rapid Vienna (Austria) v Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)
Valencia (Spain) v Monaco (France_

• 2 weeks later...

I had looked into switching to BT but unfortunately BT infinity isn't in my area for whatever reason and therefore there was no advantage to making the switch. Slightly annoying to have to pay £20 a month for it when I know I'll only watch Champions League football, therefore they better bloody go through!

• Like 1