UEFA Champions League 2015/16

Lineker

4-0, Zouma header.

He was able to leap and power it in even though he had a defender stood with a firm grip on his shirt the whole time. :lol: 

I don't get this. Chelsea and Porto are both currently on 10 points and play each other in the final game. BT Sport are saying that Chelsea need only 1 point to top the group.

BUT my understanding is that, if level on points, the aggregate head-to-head results between the relevant teams is the first tie-breaker. Porto beat us 2-1 in Portugal, so if we drew they will have taken 4 points from 6 against us and therefore, presumably, be placed 1st with both teams on 11 points.

Of course, BT Sport being wrong wouldn't be the biggest shocker in the world...

I was also confused by that, since BBC now shows us as top of the group, and I also thought it was H2H record first.

EDIT: Having investigated the rule book, I still believe it to be true. However, only Wikipedia seems to agree with me, even the UEFA website has us listed as top.

If we draw, and Dynamo beat Maccabi (obviously), then we'll have three teams on 11 points.

[EDITED : IT HAS ALL BEEN EXPLAINED TO ME]

In this scenario it would go down to goal difference between those three teams, which would put Dynamo on top with a GD+1, Chelsea 2nd with GD +0, and Porto 3rd with GD-1. This is all because Casillas saw fit to flap like Kermit the Frog and concede an extra goal against Dynamo tonight.

I'm fairly sure that they only correct for head to head results after the 6 games are completed. I seem to remember this from an argument in the pub either last year or the year before when someone was adamant that City couldn't qualify or couldn't qualify with a draw or something along those lines.

Basically relying on the PSV result. It's not impossible and all you need to do is better the PSV game. .

It's just not ideal. 

• Admin

Dynamo Kiev will play their next two European home games in an empty stadium after racist attacks on fans during a Champions League game against Chelsea.

A sanction of a third closed-door match has been suspended for three years.

The penalty was handed down by Uefa after video footage emerged of an apparent attack on four black men at the 0-0 draw in Ukraine on 20 October.

Dynamo had been charged with racist behaviour, crowd disturbances and blocked stairways.

They will play in an empty stadium against Maccabi Tel Aviv on 9 December, with the second game coming in the Champions League last 16 or Europa League last 32 next year.

The club have also been fined 100,000 euros (£70,000).

Footage of the incident was passed to Uefa by European anti-discrimination body Fare.

It shows four men being attacked by Dynamo Kiev fans and then trying to flee. They then appear to be set upon by other fans as they try to leave the Olimpiyskyi Stadium.

Last season, Dynamo were fined and ordered to close part of their stadium on two occasions as punishment for racist behaviour in the crowd at Europa League matches.

15 hours ago, Baddar said:

Nice attacking team tonight. (in theory)

12 hours ago, Baddar said:

Well, we deserve to go out after that. Fucking shocking performance. 

I nearly watched this game but then did something else instead and only flicked over for literally the last few seconds - saw score was 0-0, a freekick got lumped uselessly into the box, the final whistle went and there were a tonne of boos. In retrospect, I guess I'm glad I made the right decision. :shifty: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

The Manchester United team sheet has already been handed in. Young Uruguayan defender Guillermo Varela makes his first Red Devils start at right-back, while Dutch forward Memphis Depay returns to the starting line-up.

Manchester United XI: de Gea, Varela, Smalling, Blind, Darmian, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Lingard, Mata, Memphis, Martial.

Manchecter City - criticised for their defensive display in defeat at Stoke on Saturday - change two of their back four as Bacary Sagna moves to the bench and Martin Demichelis is left out.

Manchester City XI: Hart, Clichy, Otamendi, Mangala, Kolarov, Toure, Fernandinho, Delph, Silva, de Bruyne, Sterling.