UEFA Europa League 2015/16

Lineker

11 hours ago, Freelance Hobo said:

I think it will be interesting to see how Villareal handle being 1-0 up on aggregate and going away from home to somewhere like Anfield.

I dunno, they managed to go away in the last 3 rounds and not lose, current form says they will be alright.

I don't think they'll be a pushover but I really see Anfield as a factor.

I'll be surprised if they prevent Liverpool from scoring next week.

Like pretty much any large stadium, the circumstances surrounding the match and the way in which the game pans out on the pitch play a massive part. Anfield might have potential for good noise in this match, as it's one step from the final and they have the obstacle of a 1st leg deficit to overcome, but half an hour of mindless midfield exchanges (quite likely) will quieten down anyone.

2 hours ago, Permanent Rich said:

I dunno, they managed to go away in the last 3 rounds and not lose, current form says they will be alright.

And Dortmund had only lost 4 away games all season in every competition before they came to Anfield.

Villareal have only lost 8 away from home this season while Liverpool have failed to win 12 times at home this season.  So once you throw those numbers out there it doesn't look so good.

• Like 1

Just now, Nerf said:

Again, we're two weeks removed from literally:

"LOL THE MAGIC OF ANFIELD!"

"Oh, it is magic after all. My bad."

Tie is far from over.

I didn't say it was over, and I never said LOL MAGIC OF ANFIELD.

I am just pointing out that Liverpool fans blinkered optimism is just that, blinkered.

My take on it is we made chances without our best striker coming on and with our best creative outlet going off after 45 minutes. They had chances but they were dealt with comfortably. I felt our tactics and team line up paid them far too much respect. 

They got a goal from a silly lapse in concentration. I don't see anything from their performance that means we can't beat them 2-0 at Anfield when we've played tougher opponents this year. The game could have ended 0-0 and they could have scored at Anfield it'd be the same situation in needing 2 goals. 

I've also seen us over the years pull off amazing comebacks when the odds are against us. Milan, Olympiakos, Chelsea, Inter, Dortmund I could go on. 

However...they will be tough to break down and I expect it to be 11 men behind the ball  and they aren't going to be arrogant like Dortmund when they could have tried to control the game but instead decided to keep going gung-ho. 

Don't see why we can't progress. 

You're not wrong with being optimistic and I personally think Liverpool will go through.

But I always find the "I've seen us pull off comebacks before" argument always strikes me as odd. It's one United fans make a lot as well (or used to, when we were actually capable of a comeback). Surely you've seen your team NOT manage to come back just as often, if not more?

29 minutes ago, Whisper said:

You're not wrong with being optimistic and I personally think Liverpool will go through.

But I always find the "I've seen us pull off comebacks before" argument always strikes me as odd. It's one United fans make a lot as well (or used to, when we were actually capable of a comeback). Surely you've seen your team NOT manage to come back just as often, if not more?

Oddly enough, not in Europe, no.

The last I can remember of needing to overcome a deficit in a second leg at Anfield and failing was against Zenit a few years back, and we were only a goal away from achieving it after coming back three goals, I think.

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

I thought Anfield was just like Old Trafford for atmosphere. Nice and loud before kick off and when the home side scores. Like a library at all other times?

Defenitely seems that way on TV most of the time.

In an average league match yeah but there is a tendency for the crowds to be a bit more raucous for big games.

1 hour ago, Permanent Rich said:

I didn't say it was over, and I never said LOL MAGIC OF ANFIELD.

I am just pointing out that Liverpool fans blinkered optimism is just that, blinkered.

What is the point of being a pessimist about it at? It's only 1-0. They have to come to Anfield. I'd be surprised if Liverpool fail to score next week.

Like @Part-Time Davidmarrio I've seen Liverpool pull of comebacks. I've seen great European sides, better ones than Villareal, come to Anfield and shit themselves. Maybe it won't happen this time. Maybe the injuries to Can, Henderson and Origi and the loss of Sahko are too big to overcome. But maybe not? Maybe Liverpool can do it. You can call it blinkered optimism if you like but I think it would be foolish to write them off just yet. 

1 hour ago, Nerf said:

Oddly enough, not in Europe, no.

The last I can remember of needing to overcome a deficit in a second leg at Anfield and failing was against Zenit a few years back, and we were only a goal away from achieving it after coming back three goals, I think.

Braga two years before that as well. Atletico the year before Braga - admittedly that was both a semi final and in that run you came from behind in the tie in both the previous two rounds (1-0 vs Lille in the R16 to win the tie 3-1 and 2-1 down in the QFs to come back and win the tie 5-3).

Liverpool can definitely still win this tie - and handily too (and I think they will win it tbh), but I think maybe there's a potential complacency problem with it being 'just' Villareal.

6 hours ago, Nerf said:

Again, we're two weeks removed from literally:

"LOL THE MAGIC OF ANFIELD!"

"Oh, it is magic after all. My bad."

Tie is far from over.

It's a Kind of Magic 

1 hour ago, Freelance Hobo said:

Emre Can is in the squad for tonight's game. :D

Got to take a risk and play him tonight. We've only got this competition to play for and possibly 6th place at best.