2015-16 NHL Season Thread

munky

Seems to be that time of year.

Regular season overtimes are now going to be 3-on-3 in an effort to reduce shootouts. If they really want to reduce shootouts, eliminate them altogether. Problem solved.

When they start deciding baseball games with a home run derby, I'll get on board with shootouts in hockey.

Edited by munky

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NHL expansion is now open! Cities/owners have a few weeks to get everything in order...earliest the teams could be in is the 2017-2018 season.

My money would be on Las Vegas, Seattle, Quebec and a Toronto area team.

Also! Pre-draft trades need to start happening. Now.

I hope it's two, and I hope it's not Vegas. Relocate Phoenix and you've got Seattle, Quebec, and Tworonto(sorry) and a 32 team league with 4 divisions with 8 teams. Toronto 2 can play in the West. Or relocate Florida instead of Phoenix.

Yeah, Arizona is the better choice, but if the 3 cities I want get teams it means somebody who shouldn't be in the west has to go. Small price though and the Leafs played in the West for years. And it means everybody will play on the road in the leagues biggest market at least 2 or 3 times a year if the other Toronto is in the West.

Edit: All of this is dumb of me because I just remembered there are already 16 in the East and 14 in the West. I am dumb, ignore me.

Really intrigued to see how 3v3 and coach's challenge shake the games up next year.

I think the league would likely expand in the West first to even it at 16 teams for each conference, but who knows. Vegas is on everybody's mind obviously and Seattle has some hurdles to jump yet. But Houston is an interesting destination in that they had an AHL team up until an arena contract dispute two years ago and business analysts have pegged it as a strong market for expansion. Nobody's really talking about them.

From what I read the other week, the city of Phoenix told the Coyotes that they would welcome them back if the Glendale arrangement falls through. Short of ownership dropping out again, I think the plan is to stay in Arizona at all costs.

What do you guys think about the over time rule involving pulling your goalie and forfeiting the extra point, if the other team scores on your open net? Most teams won't pull their goalie, but I guess it's to take away the advantage teams might go for with 4-3.

Edited by TGWL

What do you guys think about the over time rule involving pulling your goalie and forfeiting the extra point, if the other team scores on your open net? Most teams won't pull their goalie, but I guess it's to take away the advantage teams might go for with 4-3.

Wait, that's a rule now?

Also...Ottawa trades Lehner and a cap dump for Buffalo's other 21st pick.

I love draft day!

Really hope the Leafs pick up Marner.

Wait, that's a rule now?

Also...Ottawa trades Lehner and a cap dump for Buffalo's other 21st pick.

I love draft day!

Really hope the Leafs pick up Marner.

that was always a rule, since the introduction of the loser point.

I was at Canucks game once where the Canucks pulled the goalie with 6 miinutes left despite it being a tie game, because a loser point for their opponent guaranteed them a playoff spot over Vancouver.

It is a smart rule, otherwise both teams would pull their goalie and play 4 on 4 . Circus.

Shootouts are fine. they decide draws in fifa with penalty kicks and they have so much money they are in the international arms business.

Confirming all #NHL drafts picks from #Flames going to #Bruins in exchange for Hamilton

I'm taking that in they only parted with draft picks, not that they gave up all of them. Prob just 2 seconds instead of all 3.

A first and two seconds.

What a steal by the Flames.

Yeah, I figured the first was a definite. Sucks for the Oilers. I don't think they wanted to see Flames improve.

Edited by TGWL

Kris Versteeg declines a trade to Montreal.

And now rumours are that Boston is interested in Sharp. My Blackhawk love is known around these parts, but I'd love that #15 pick just to make the Hamilton trade even more ridiculous.