2015-16 NHL Season Thread

munky

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or did the Avalanche not get very much for O'Rielly?

As for the Leafs - I don't watch enough junior hockey to know the prospects very well so I can't really say anything about the pick. Trading down twice with the 24th pick was interesting though.

Already losing patience with Jim Benning.

Which they then do nothing with.

Yeah, they're pretty terrible aren't they.

And? That doesn't mean they draft well.

Not on a pick by pick basis they don't. But because of volume, they have plenty of tradeable assets and depth. NHL drafts are a crap shoot after the top 10, a lot like the NFL draft, so picking a lot gives you more chances to succeed than picking 24th instead of 34th.

• Like 1

Not on a pick by pick basis they don't. But because of volume, they have plenty of tradeable assets and depth. NHL drafts are a crap shoot after the top 10, a lot like the NFL draft, so picking a lot gives you more chances to succeed than picking 24th instead of 34th.

Not arguing that, its a sound strategy. Its one the Patriots employ with middling results.

It's hard to call consistently winning 12 games a year and more Superbowls than any other team this millenium despite mostly staying out of free agency middling. They draft a lot of busts. They also drafted and traded picks and people they drafted for a team that won the Superbowl last year. I don't think the Leafs are going to draft 3 NHLers with the 3 picks they got out of the 24th. But they'll probably draft one, and if they're lucky they might draft two, and that's better than they would have done even if they are bad at drafting.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/bill-belichick-nfl-draft-new-england-patriots/

The Patriots traded down from 23 to 26 in the first round of the 2009 draft, getting the 162nd pick from the Ravens in the process. Baltimore took Michael Oher. The Patriots didn’t need Oher, but they would likely want to go back and take Clay Matthews. They passed on Matthews at 26, dealing the 26th and 162nd picks they had just acquired to the Packers for the 41st, 73rd, and 83rd picks. A second-rounder and two third-rounders is catnip for Belichick.

The Patriots kept the 41st and 83rd picks, making selections they won’t care to relive. Darius Butler and Brandon Tate did not exactly have glorious Patriots careers, even if they went on to enjoy success elsewhere. The 73rd pick, however, turned into a gold mine. Gene Smith and the Jaguars came calling, offering the 232nd pick in that year’s draft and their 2010 second-rounder to take small-school product Derek Cox, who turned into a competent cornerback before leaving Jacksonville and suddenly losing all of his ability to play football.

Here’s where it gets good if you’re a Patriots fan. The Patriots kept the 232nd pick and used it on a college quarterback who has thrown only one professional pass. Of course, that pass went for a 51-yard touchdown, as that quarterback — Julian Edelman — eventually emerged as Brady’s top wide receiver. The Jaguars pick eventually landed at 44, and while trading 73 for 44 would have been good enough for the Patriots, Belichick will never regret trading a sixth-round pick to those cursed Raiders to move up from 44 to 42 in the 2010 draft. That’s where he took Rob Gronkowski.

There's nobody as dumb as the Jaguars in the NHL, but even though they whiffed on two of the four picks they eventually got out of the 23rd that year, they aren't anywhere close to middling results.

Well that's a nice sequence of events for them, even thought they missed on half their picks. How many times has that occurred over Belichick's tenure? One year of good fortune does not prove your case.

But I'm going to leave football talk about of the NHL thread now.

What is Jim Benning doing?

Eddie Lack goes to Carolina, and the return is a 3rd and a 7th.

Robin Lehner, who I would argue is not as strong or ready to carry a team, fetches Ottawa a 1st.

I didn't really follow the NHL last year, but what happened to Cam Ward in Carolina? I was under the impression he was actually good.

Robin Lehner, who I would argue is not as strong or ready to carry a team, fetches Ottawa a 1st.

I didn't really follow the NHL last year, but what happened to Cam Ward in Carolina? I was under the impression he was actually good.
he is an albatross of a contract.

he is an albatross of a contract.
Which kinda shocked me when GMJR didn't sign Fleury to that kind of deal.

the arizona situation is just silly. they trade a dude who was second on their team in points and come out and say "we don't think he could play for us at the nhl level".

Neither can anyone fucking else on your team!

• Like 1

This was a weird weekend. Boston made horrible trades - considering they picked a couple of guys earlier than they should have been selected.

Glen Sather tried to be greedy with trading Talbot, it blew up in his face after everybody traded their extra first / early second, then Sather accepted a lesser deal than what was offered and says " I wanted to do my old team a a favor" Complete bullshit. He messed up. Trading Hagelin because we can't afford to pay him 4 million I agree with, but I'm not on Etem, and if you look at the Rangers it's more about speed than skill.

Oilers trading a 16th and their 33rd for Reinhart? I'm not sold him him from what Islander fans have told me.