Westerns

Monkey D. Lars

I want to catch up with some classic Western movies because I just like that genre a lot! What is everyone's favorite and what are must-watches? So far I;ve seen:

Django Unchained (2012)

True Grit (2010)

Unforgiven (1992)

Once Upon A Time in the West (1968)

Lone Ranger (2013)

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) (BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

Wild Wild West (1999) (Meh)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

The Great Train Robbery (1903)

Maverick (1994)

Winchester '73 (1950)

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

Death Rides A Horse (1967)

The Valley of Gwangi (1969)

The Oklahoma Kid (1939)

Pale Rider (1985)

Slow West (2015)

So, I know I miss a lot of classics up there but I'm just wondering what's everyone's favorite and which do you recommend.

Edited by Lars Elric

I've not seen many (most are already on that list). Maverick and Django Unchained are favourites, mainly because I enjoy silliness rather than proper Westerns. The most glaringly obvious absence for me is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - which, 'proper Western' though it is, I did very much enjoy.

Also, on the theme of silliness: Blazing Saddles.

• Like 3

You've already got one of my favourite films, not just in Westerns but of all genres, in Liberty Valance but another film to hold that privilege which you haven't listed is The Searchers. It's pretty long but its just brilliant.

I've not seen many (most are already on that list). Maverick and Django Unchained are favourites, mainly because I enjoy silliness rather than proper Westerns. The most glaringly obvious absence for me is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - which, 'proper Western' though it is, I did very much enjoy.

Also, on the theme of silliness: Blazing Saddles.

Blazing Saddles...all that needs to be said

Also, I liked A Million Ways To Die In The West. If you go into it expecting exactly what it is, a Seth MacFarland movie with a lot of low-brow comedy, its not too bad. Some of the reviews I read for it seemed to think it'd be a modern day Blazing Saddles, and I just never expected that from a Seth movie. I expected a lot of eas jokes and things like that, and found it a much more enjoyable movie. Is it perfect? Hardly. But I didn't think it was as terrible as other people seem to think it was.

Then again, I also watched Private Valentine: Blonde and Dangerous (AKA Major Movie Star) the other night, starring Jessica Simpson. It was hilariously bad, and I liked it because I knew it'd be terrible going into it. Maybe I just love movies I know won't be good?

The original is just as good.

Also, they're new releases, but the Salvation and Slow West are pretty good.

Besides that, there's the Assassination of Jesse James, the Homesman, Pale Rider and Appaloosa, which I think is great but for some reason is never spoken of in regards to recent good Westerns.

• Like 2

Unforgiven is one of my favourite films as well its just brilliant. I like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but it's too long I think. Out of that trilogy I much preferred For A Few Dollars More. Lee Van Cleef is amazing.

The Assassination Of Jesse James bored the fuck out of me.

• Like 1

Yeah I've seen half of Jesse James and I fell asleep!

Kaney if you like Lee van Cleef you should watch Death Rides A Horse he's the star of that movie and he is amazing! Tarantino used the theme song for that movie for Kill Bill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMNBMTLYeGs

I've got the Bad, the Good and the Ugly on bluray! But haven't watched it yet. Blazing Saddles is that Mel Brooks movie right? Have to see that one! 3:10 to Yuma I've seen bits off! The Searcher is in a Western Box I have! And well, I think I have to watch those first! Thanks!

I like westerns for the atmosphere and for the music. I'm not aware of any western made since the 60s (or thereabouts) that has managed to do it well.

I think the Good, the Bad and the Ugly did it perfectly. Not only is it my favourite western, it's one of my favourite films ever.

A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker is probably one of my favorites.

EDIT: And how could I forget one of my other favorites?

• Like 1

A few of my favorites:

Winchester `73 (1950 with Jimmy Stewart. There's also a tv version made in the 60's. Avoid that one)

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Sabata trilogy (It is weird having Yul Brenner in place of Lee Van Cleef in the middle movie and not even dressing the same. If you want to skip that one and just watch the other two, go for it.)

Rio Bravo

Red River

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Searchers

John Ford's cavalry trilogy - Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande

A Man Called Sledge

The Sacketts (made for tv, but I believe it is available on DVD) and its sequel. The Shadow Riders

*edit* Forgot to add:

The Fastest Gun Alive

3:10 to Yuma (the original, though the renake is fairly good)

High Plains Drifter

Paint Your Wagon

Edited by GhostMachine

No Country for Old Men is probably the only Western that I've ever enjoyed as an adult. As a kid, I loved the Dirty Harry series and the Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

No Country for Old Men is probably the only Western that I've ever enjoyed as an adult. As a kid, I loved the Dirty Harry series and the Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Dirty Harry isn't that just a crime film series? With no film remotely being in the old west even though it stars Clint?