The E-Sports Thread

Krone

I have no real issue with the sports labelling. I don't think it's supposed to be used in the same context as athletic sports but it gets the point across and doesn't hurt anyone.

I did find it hilarious how desperate Krone is to defend it. Look you guys, one of them has a girlfriend! And that one has muscles! Muscles! They're almost like normal people!

• Like 11

I have no real issue with the sports labelling. I don't think it's supposed to be used in the same context as athletic sports but it gets the point across and doesn't hurt anyone.

I did find it hilarious how desperate Krone is to defend it. Look you guys, one of them has a girlfriend! And that one has muscles! Muscles! They're almost like normal people!

I agree with the first point completely. It's a sport, just not the traditional kind and without your traditional kind of athletes (although, personally? I wouldn't use the 'athlete' label)

But, yeah, Krone? You are trying a wee bit too hard and it's coming off as desperate. Some people will find e-sports silly or dumb, and that's fine, that's their opinion. It doesn't take away your enjoyment of it.

I just found out that the term 'esports' is a thing and I do find it silly.

I love video games and I love sports, there's just no way I'll ever be able to call playing a computer game a sport in my own definition. I find it ridiculous that there's people out there who lump down serious money on enhanced controllers and the like. If you are going to run competitive competitions then it should be with standard equipment as shipped.

Why? It's no different than an athlete buying the best equipment possible for a slight competitive edge.

The sports argument is silly. League of Legends is exactly as much of a sport as chess, this is an argument that's gone on since before video games existed. If you don't think the definition of "sport" should apply to chess then fine (the ioc says it is a sport, under a definition that would apply to e-sports as well), but to mock competitive gaming is silly. 

• Like 3

Actually, I think it was Plubby who introduced you to muscles. And of course I'm going to show that they're normal people when Lint gives of the stigma that its all about pounding energy drinks.

To each their own though. If anything, all I've tried to do is tell you my story and such. I wouldn't necessarily call that 'trying hard' seeing as how, ya know, it's my life story

What part of Krone's life story involves talking about some stranger's hot girlfriend? I think it goes to show how boring one's life is that they need to start talking about someone else's life while telling their own life story.

In proper eSports stuff: If anyone is interested/wants to check out the League of Legends pro scene...Saturday the EU and NA World Championship Gauntlet is beginning (the teams who win will qualify for the Worlds in October as the 3rd place team in their region).

You can find the schedule and such here. This is also where you'll find links to watch it and such.

• Like 1

Classic sc2 moment.

The good old days when Artosis and Tasteless gave a fuck about Starcraft rather than Heroes of the Salt

Even better was Mvp's reaction to it, Game 7 of the GSL Finals, the hardest StarCraft tournament in the world to win and Mvp pulls a proxy 2 rax

Edited by Troy Maskell

Why? It's no different than an athlete buying the best equipment possible for a slight competitive edge.

The sports argument is silly. League of Legends is exactly as much of a sport as chess, this is an argument that's gone on since before video games existed. If you don't think the definition of "sport" should apply to chess then fine (the ioc says it is a sport, under a definition that would apply to e-sports as well), but to mock competitive gaming is silly. 

It's not really a slight competitive edge, it's a massive difference. Cristiano Ronaldo could make me look like a tit whilst wearing a pair of flip flops even if I was wearing the best pair of football boots around. Having these high-end controllers with all those extra buttons and paddles is noted advantage.

I don't think chess is a sport either. It's a board game, just like COD is a video game. Sport by it's definition is a competitive activity that involves physical exertion. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing either competitively or that it doesn't require a high level of skill and dedication. Just that, it's certainly not a sport to me and it never will be. It's a game whether you play it competitively or not.

It's not really a slight competitive edge, it's a massive difference. Cristiano Ronaldo could make me look like a tit whilst wearing a pair of flip flops even if I was wearing the best pair of football boots around. Having these high-end controllers with all those extra buttons and paddles is noted advantage.

I don't think chess is a sport either. It's a board game, just like COD is a video game. Sport by it's definition is a competitive activity that involves physical exertion. I don't think there's anything wrong with playing either competitively or that it doesn't require a high level of skill and dedication. Just that, it's certainly not a sport to me and it never will be. It's a game whether you play it competitively or not.

I could have all those extra buttons and paddles, and probably still get my ass kicked at COD against one of these guys using an atari controller.

Whoever sniffed their nose at "professional gaming"

They're gaming, and making a living out of it, that defines a profesionnal.

• Like 3