RIP Wes Craven

Romero

I was literally just rewatching the original Scream last night and had planned on binging the Elm Street films over the long weekend.

This is utterly gut wrenching, RIP Wes and thank you for the hours and hours of entertainment you've given us over the years.

Always a fan of his work, the first Nightmare of Elm Street, Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare are my favorites of the series and no coincidence that he played a big part in that and Scream picked up where New Nightmare left off in reinventing the genre. And that's not to discount some of his other work either like The Hills Have Eyes, The Last House on the Left. I didn't know he directed Red Eye either until just reading it now, enjoyed that as well.

Often imitated, never duplicated, he was definitely a pioneer and his influence will certainly be missed.

Nightmare on Elm Street was my first encounter with horror films as a kid and it scared the shit out of me. Gave me nightmares. Now it's one of my favorite horror franchises. Rest in peace, Wes.

The bit in the original NOES with the silhouette of Freddy walking down the alley and his hand stretching out ... with the *tink tink tink* of the claws is still one of the most terrifying bits of film I've seen (age had much to do with it but it still holds today for me).

I feel he actually might not have gotten his proper due because of the success of Freddy.  Plenty of people don't realize he was the man that did Last House on the Left and the Hills Have Eyes.  I personally liked works such as Serpent and the Rainbow and People Under the Stairs best though.