Favourite Quotes

Benji

From 'The Beast of War'

Daskal: [the tank is incapacitated. Daskal hands out a grenade to Kaminski and Golikov] You know our standing orders.
Kaminski: What?
Daskal: Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes.

From 'Killing Me Softly'

Jackie Cogan: My friend, Thomas Jefferson is an American saint because he wrote the words 'All men are created equal', words he clearly didn't believe since he allowed his own children to live in slavery. He's a rich white snob who's sick of paying taxes to the Brits. So, yeah, he writes some lovely words and aroused the rabble and they went and died for those words while he sat back and drank his wine and fucked his slave girl. This guy wants to tell me we're living in a community? Don't make me laugh. I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now fuckin' pay me.

• Like 1

From "Big Trouble In Little China":

Jack Burton: Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it." 

• Like 1

Not from a film, but from a book (maybe they used it in the film, I dunno) 'One Night in Turin'

The empire was gone, and the world had passed on. The colonies became independent, Europe became a community - and in 1953 the Hungarians came to Wembley to wallop the founders of football 6-3. And did we learn?

Did we fuck. We stayed on our island, growling behind our nukes with our thuggish dirty streets, our polluted beaches, our hospitals where the rain comes through the roof, and our schools that can't afford to buy books - we stayed on our island with our fading industries, and our 4-4-fucking-2.

I slightly edited it to add some swear words, but you get the idea. I know Mike Bassett England Manager wasn't the best film in the world, but the scene where he recites 'If' by Kipling reminds me of this paragraph. FOUR FOUR FUCKING TWO.

INGERLAND INGERLAND INGERLAND!

John Mason: I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir. Personally, I think you're a fucking idiot.
General Hummel: "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.
John Mason: "Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious," according to Oscar Wilde.
[Hummel strikes him, and he falls to his knees]
John Mason: Thank you for making my point.

A lot of this is in the manic delivery, and fucked if I could cite all this myself, but...

I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

- Network (1976)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's cliche at this point, but Chaplin's speech from the Great Dictator is amazing. I see people post it all the time these days, but the context that is important is that he made this movie and speech in 1939.  

• Like 3