Which shows have you 'show divorced'?

Benji

Saw this on Reddit, thought it would make for a fun thread.

By 'show divorced' I mean a show that you once felt smitten by which has grown tired and stale and, maybe somewhat reluctantly, you've severed your commitment to it.

My ones tend to be Ryan Murphy shows. They start off great but fall apart. Nip/Tuck season four I gave up on. Since then I've managed to scrape through seasons five and six after the show ended for good, but not managed season seven. Glee I've quit on more than once, my final breaking point was the death of Cory Monteith, I watched to his death episode and haven't bothered since. American Horror Story I watched the first series and loved it, second I had issues with, and third was boring as hell, by the fourth I just couldn't be bothered any more and tuned out within half hour of the first episode.

I'm the same with Glee, once they'd won Nationals I couldn't see where they could go, and neither could the scriptwriters it seemed. When they started focusing on New York as much or more than the actual glee club the title of the show referred to I gave up, didn't even watch the finale or the Cory Monteith episode.

I gave up on Revolution about 7/8s on the way through the first series as I found the female protagonist to be the most annoying character ever written.

I feel like I've given up on NCIS even though I still like it, I finished season 7 but haven't seen beyond that through a combination of the UK scheduling being so impossible to keep up with (it's on 5 different channels each on their own episode trajectory) and that the DVDs are so expensive due to the popularity of the show.

• Like 1

My entire Tuesday routine in college was go home watch a new episode Nostalgia Critic, then How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory.

I think once I finished college I really stopped watching all of those. Although I would say that BBT and NC are two things I now can't even enjoy in retrospect because I found them more and more grating as I've gotten older. But I still kinda have a soft spot for HIMYM. I actually watched the last few episodes because I still had a bit of a liking for the show.

I really don't watch much TV anymore though so I've really stopped watching things that were staples of my TV diet for years. I've probably not seen a new episode of QI, Have I Got News For You or The Simpsons in years.

I used to watch a lot more web shows too. Now I've whittled it down to just a few. Which I think as a lot to do with just my tastes changing.

Supernatural is the one show that I absolutely loved from season 1 to 5, then kinda got eh about in season 6, then after season 7 I just fully gave up on it.
Very fun show, lots of fun lore and generally narmy fun all around especially in the early seasons when they were still trying to find their groove and finding what works and what didn't.

Then at the end of Season 5 they literally killed Lucifer himself and Sam goes down to hell whilst Dean goes on to live that ordinary life that he always wanted to live with the stinger that Sam's actually alive. Happy ending right, just leave it at that reasonable open end and end the show.

Nope, instead they tack on more seasons because of high ratings and they gotta find a way to make it 'work' since they've already killed the biggest bad possible. So they jump the shark multiple times trying to write some sort of narrative, and it just returns to that early run 'I just want to have a normal life' angst that simply doesn't work at all at that point.

I really loved Supernatural, and especially the episodes where they mess around with the fourth wall and generally have fun are highlights just as much as some of the emotional episodes are. But it should've ended at Season 5, for me it just went downhill afterwards.

I can't set myself to watching Season 8 and beyond.

I like Supernatural and still watch it, but I totally get what you mean. I also find it really stupid that they could have had several seasons based around Gods of world mythologies vying for power with God and Lucifer gone, and instead they were like "nah, we'll kill a load off in one episode with about fifteen minutes build, lol".

Actually I've found myself losing track of QI as well, I really enjoy it but I never notice when new episodes are on. I guess it's partly due to not watching much on the BBC and not seeing the adverts for it, but I never seem to have a problem when HIGNFY comes back on.

Now that Stephen Fry is going I'm not entirely sure I want to watch it either, I like Sandi Toksvig but I can't help feeling she's better as a panellist than a host.

• Like 2

For me I can't imagine QI without Fry as the main host. He's like that interesting gay uncle who can tell you anything about the world and interest you in science. He's the parlor-knowledge god and nobody else will interest me in a show like QI than he could.
Toksvig could do just as well as him, but it wouldn't be the same. It's pretty much the Top Gear effect when names are synonymous with a show, and without those names attached it's just not the same regardless of quality.

I like Supernatural and still watch it, but I totally get what you mean. I also find it really stupid that they could have had several seasons based around Gods of world mythologies vying for power with God and Lucifer gone, and instead they were like "nah, we'll kill a load off in one episode with about fifteen minutes build, lol".

One thing that really managed to piss me off was killing off Bobby. It wasn't as much that him getting written off the show was the bad thing, it was him first showing up as a ghost, and after that arc he still seemingly comes back every once in a while in flashbacks. So it's not like he was written off because the actor wanted out or was doing something else, it was mostly just a way to 'shock' the crowd and give them a gutpunch rather than something truly emotional that had lasting effects.

On the other side, glad they didn't make Garth into Bobby 2.0 and just let him be his own character and grow out of that dimwitted idiot shell into a skilled idiot.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

That was fucking stupid. I liked that Supernatural was slowly getting a standing cast together with Dean, Sam, Bobby, Cass and Crowley. They literally just did it because they wanted to take it back to "just" Sam and Dean, then changed their mind a couple seasons later anyway.

For me it's less that I got tired of the shows and more I just can't find the time to watch it. This goes for Masters of Sex, the Leftovers, Episodes, the Strain, Mad Men, the Wire and Breaking Bad. 

I should really divorce Modern Family though, it hasn't been good since season 2, but it just always has a really good episode here and there, plus I'm only still watching it because Ty Burrell is fucking amazing.

Add me to the list of Supernatural fans that stopped watching after it was clear they were spinning their wheels. I've heard it's gotten pretty good again but I'm too far behind to think about catching up. Got way too much other stuff to catch up on.

Weeds was a big one. So much so that I refuse to watch Orange is the New Black in fear of getting burned again. 

Sons of Anarchy is probably my biggest one, though. It was a great show for awhile until they either wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't pull the logical trigger or flat out eschewed logical storytelling to keep certain characters around. It doesn't help that Kurt Sutter is as absolute jackass if you happen to disagree with him about the quality of the show.

Edited by livid

I feall I really should divorce Grey's Anatomy. For quite a while now I found myself groaning at most of what is happening and most of the characters I liked have either died or become unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I don't know why I keep watching it.

I do have a lot of webshows I used to watch but don't anymore. Around the time the Nostalgia Critic opened his own website I used to watch everything that got posted on there. Nowadays the only current producers whose stuff I still watch is the NC itself (they got really annoying but since returning from the break he took to make demo reel they've become a lot more enjoyable), Todd In The Shadows, Rap Critic, Mike J and the Dom.

As far as former producers go I used to be really into TheSpoonyOne's reviews but I've divorced his stuff a while ago. First of all he hasn't released a review in ages. All he does these days are his vlogs about Pen and Paper RPGs, WWE or movies. And I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to listen to those. The RPG ones are okay but the movie and WWE vlogs are just up to 2 hours of him ranting and raving in the most grating and smarky way and without any structure about how bad whatever he just watched is. 

Especially in his wrestling vlogs it seems like he is actively looking for things to complain about. It's not even fun to watch because you know that he hates everything he talks about. So what's the point in wasting 2 hours if I already know how he's going to react? If he would structure and edit his thoughts and put them out in review form then it might be worth watching. But as it is now I have no interest in anything he does.

The last one I watched was his vlog about last year's Survivor Series when Sting made his debut. And as he continued to rip into every little thing that was happening on that PPV I wanted to aks him why he keeps doing these vlogs? If the WWE product is really as terrible as he says it is without any redeeming quality and if watching it really get's him that worked up and angry why keep watching it? Why not vlog about something he enjoys for a change?