Marvel Unlimited Reading Club

I Don't Mind

The improper zooming is literally the only reason I bought a tablet. But I have found by playing around with it on my desktop that there's a significant different between reading a comic on smart-panel, which cuts something off a lot, and going from full-panel clicking the zoom button. Then you can move your view around, which is a little more work, but beats not using the service

I just finished it so here is what I have to say(Bullet points, not article format because I'm stuffed with Pizza and don't feel like it)

• I liked the art on everything except some of the faces. They just look...off.
  • I may be remembering the Ultimate DD's Origin but I swear I remember Matt's dad actually being a giant asshole and not the great guy he is here.
  • I don't know how I feel about skipping his training completely. Origins are overdone and that could be the most tedious bit of his but I don't know if his is known well enough to just straight out skip a large chunk of it.
  • Never been a fan of the Yellow costume. I've wished for them to retcon his Dad's colors to red and black before. That said, this is the best I've seen the yellow look.
  • One of the guys that shot his Dad said he blew his head off. I'm pretty sure he was bleeding from the chest when Matt found him on the street.I thought that was going to lead somewhere and it didn't.
  • I read a couple runs of DD a year or two ago that was really good but one thing remains the same, my dislike of Foggy. Such an annoying man.
  • It amuses me greatly that everyone in an  American city hates Spider-Man but get right the fuck behind the dude dressed like Satan.
  • The Fantastic Four bit was great but I just wanna point out that on the page where Reed and Matt are side by side there is this one panel that looks weird because Reed's face is super detailed and sharp while Matt looks like a Mr.potato head.
  • How did they apprehend The Purple Man long enough to get him in a cell in the first place if that's his power?
  • What is the time period on this thing? It was written in like 2009 and current Matt in the letters is talking like this all took place 30 years ago, which I guess is correct in real time but it can't be in the book.
  • This has made me wanna go read some older DD. I'm not starting with #1 because I just can't read anything actually written by Stan Lee but I'm going to find a jumping on point early on.
  • Like 2

DAREDEVIL: YELLOW

Writer: Jeph Loeb

Artist: Tim Sale

Published: 2001-2002

Collected in: Daredevil: Yellow

Prologue: I'm a huge Daredevil fan. Loved his appearances on Spider-Man: The Animated Series, loved the Netflix original series, even loved Ben Affleck's '03 film. Before the Director's cut even. Frank Miller's Daredevil: Born Again is one of a few runs that got me into comics to begin with, so whether it's the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia, it's still the standard bearer for storytelling. And if that doesn't set my expectations high enough, one of the other runs that really got me into reading comics was Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's Hulk: Gray which I enjoy going back to and rereading now and again.

With that high bar to meet, I dove into the first issue and was optimistic from the first pages. Starting with "Dear Karen, I'm afraid..." on the opening splash page is a badass way to start a Daredevil story. Then the contrast of colors with only his outfit being stark red and the world being gray both felt true to his mopey, grimdark character and also made me think of Schindler's List. As much as I liked that early acrobatics page though, I would find the first of many art choices to nitpick - Daredevil's torso. It's as though he had honed his upper body to complete physical perfection, all while wearing a corset.

NbwoOMV.jpg

I was pleased to see a legitimate bereavement therapy tool (letter writing) was going to be used to frame the story, but man, was this ever a character wanting to talk without anything to say. By issue 3 I was really fed up with this device, as I couldn't imagine even a deceased Karen possibly caring about the crap he went through that had absolutely nothing to do with her. I did really like the flashback art though. Everyone is downright adorable and looks like anthropomorphized woodland critters. I don't know why Matt has these huge protruding monkey lips though, as no one else does. But interesting that either Matt or Foggy owns a teddy bear.

kUzus9f.jpg

Interesting detail that Jack Murdock lives to see Matt enter law school, as I'm used to the telling of Matt being a kid when Jack dies. Maybe that's just the TV series overlapping his usual origin in my brain though. I was pretty gutted when Jack hands Matt his robe, knowing he was going to die but tried to play it cool like he's leaving before his title match. The subsequent death and trial felt like just going through the motions until Park Avenue attorney made a joke about the pistachio nuts. That was a low blow.

Issue 2 made me really long for a modernized retelling of the story. Jack can be an MMA fighter, Fixer and Slade can be Bloods or something and not be rocky and Mugsy from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. But obviously there's only one word to describe this issue: Radical!

xHtazEi.jpg

Cuz the kids like their Tony Hawk and such in 2001, right guys? Fixer dying before Daredevil could get to him felt like a fitting end. Something to never give Matt closure but also teach him his own strength as a symbol. Karen Page came off so classy looking than in other stories, and I get why in the last issue.

hr5Xkb2.jpg

Issue 3 opened with an awesome opening splash page of The Thing. The cartoony feel to the art really works well for a disfigured rock monster. Tim Sale, I love you.

4iCT150.jpg

Tim Sale, I hate you. All that good credit is immediately lost when I see Sue Richards' ridiculous frame. But as the issue goes on, I grow to love Tim again again. A piece of the plot I really never understood and foolishly thought might be addressed - the uber rich F.4 come to Foggy and Matt straight out of law school. What? Other than that, there was a lot of humor in this issue, and not just on visual gags. "Mr. Nelson sounds so Mr. Nelson" is fucking hilarious. By 2015 I've heard just about every Helen Keller joke in the book, but if I had read this when it first came out, this would be my favorite comic issue ever.

Issue 4 just feels like it's trying to tap into that meta-nerd niche market. "Villains would talk a lot back then. They didn't leave innocent women in a pool of blood... I guess... I haven't really thought about it... but the ones in costume never used to kill anybody..." Well that would sure as hell change. So much focus on the "super hero" title and making it seem both totally celebrity and at the same time saturated really made this a tonal mess for me. I mean Christ, just suck Spider-Man's cock why don't you Loeb? There must be half a dozen references to him here. I can't hate this issue though, as by the end when they're tackling real issues and real-life moments, it's an enjoyable read with enjoyable moments.

nMD0d4F.jpg

Watching Slade fry was really powerful. That feels like a defining Matt Murdock moment. Probably could have gone more into the sound of his screams or heart stopping or people's reaction around him but the incredibly dark moment is only slightly less surprising than Foggy's plan at the end. I was literally saying out loud, "Oh God Foggy. Oh God. Take a hint, man. There's nothing there between you and Karen. You're not even remotely close to having that kind of relationship. That goes beyond sad and just into creepy."

Issue 5 was a little less meta and a little more just straight-laced, action-packed story with a simple directive - save the girl.

2lgXkAj.jpg

Artwise I noticed in this issue that Tim Sale has a trademark of having his drawings explode off the panels! Sounds better in words than it shows in the product. To me it just says he didn't care how much room he had, he'll draw wherever he wants to. I didn't know what to think of the ending. Poor Foggy, I guess. Matt is kind of a selfish bastard, which is true to canon. But on the other hand, Karen's adorable.

xeYy9BG.jpg

The final issue of the run freaked me out, as I'm watching Jessica Jones and Matt's up against The Purple Man. True to form, first move he pulls is luring Karen away.

s9PsjBd.jpg

Hilarious that Murdock is immune simply because he's (color)blind, and very cathartic to see Purple Man just pummeled the shit out of. Looking forward to hopefully seeing that in Jessica Jones. "This is the way I choose to remember it when I think of you" makes a lot of sense. Probably could have been put in issue 1 though. I was let down by the ending, honestly. I thought it really lacked any punch, especially bringing in Melvin Potter, who was never introduced in the series. Felt very hastily thrown together just to close up loose ends.

KlbxO9n.jpg

So overall, it was a decent read with some hit-or-miss artwork. Both Loeb and Sale tried some things to varying degrees of success, but it made the run stand out. I still definitely prefer Hulk: Gray to Daredevil: Yellow, but maybe Spider-Man: Blue will be better down the line, or Captain America: White when that gets added to Marvel Unlimited.

NEXT TIME TRUE BELIEVERS ON MARVEL UNLIMITED READING CLUB:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man

#1-6, Nick Spencer

Also, anyone who posts their reading experience on an assignment, feel free to recommend what should go up on the poll for tomorrow.

Kirkland, it sounds like you're recommending more Daredevil, yes?

Edited by I Diem
  • Like 2

Actually I'd like to see something X-Men related. I plan on binge reading an asston of DD in order privately.

• Like 1

Oh, and about Sue's body. I think he doing his best to draw the FF like they just came out of one of their early issues and if you look back at those Sue always had a super tiny waist and a big chest. Here she actually reminds me of someone who's been corset training 

fdea1615fa0ed444aca1c705c4f27796.jpg

Edited by Kirkland

X-Poll Is Up:

New X-Men (Grant Morrison) #114-120

• Sixteen million mutants dead â€" and that's just the beginning! The destruction of Genosha is just the beginning of a new era for the X-Men.

Spider-Man & The X-Men (Elliot Kalan) #1-6

• Meet the Jean Grey Academy's new guidance counselor: Spider-Man! - What's a non-mutant doing at a school for mutants? What secret suspicion has fueled the formation of his special student class? - And because you demanded it! Sauron and Stegron the Dinosaur Man! The villain team 65 million years in the making! You didn't demand it? Well somebody did

Uncanny X-Force (Rick Remender) #1-6

• To hold back a new Age of Apocalypse, Wolverine and Archangel bring together Fantomex, Deadpool, and Psylocke to form The Uncanny X-Force!

Death of Wolverine (Charles Soule) #1-4

• The beginning of the end is now here ... THE DEATH OF WOLVERINE! - THREE MONTHS TO DIE, the loss of Wolverine's healing factor--all led to this, the single most important X-Men event of the decade. - Logan has spent over a century being the best there is at what he does...but even the best fade away eventually. - Over the years, Logan has been a warrior, a hero, a renegade, a samurai, a teacher-and so much more. But now, the greatest X-Men hero will play a role he's never played before in this special weekly event brought to you by industry superstars Charles Soule and Steve McNiven
  • Like 2

front.jpg

Daredevil: Yellow

So, Daredevil Yellow was fun, but my main problem was that I did not know that Karen Page died. Or even dies!
AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN TELL ME HOW SHE DIED!
But other then that I liked it. Never knew Murdock started with a yellow suit!

Learned a lot!

Also I vote for the DEATH OF WOLVERINE!

• Like 1

Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Writer: Nick Spencer

Artist: Steve Lieber

Colorist: Rachelle Rosenberg

Release Year: 2013

Collected In: The Superior Foes of Spider-Man Volume 1: Getting the Band Back Together

From issue 1 I got the vibe this comic knew what it was and never steered away from its premise. Boomerang, The Beetle, Overdrive, Speed Demon, and Shocker are five loser-supervillains who call themselves The Sinister Six. When the big reveals are Hammerhead and the Chameleon, it set the stage for an awesome appreciation for dark horses of the Marvel rogue's gallery. Aside from the great writing of the story, I really dug how the art aided the story and the characters. The Sims-like thought-bubbles really added a lot to who these people were. And who these people were brought a wide range of emotions from me. I wasn't fond of Shocker's IRL identity, as it's not how I ever pictured him visually or behaviorally. I can't even see him using the same gruff voice as I've always heard him. On the flipside I really liked Speed Demon in the pet store. When he's in full Speed Demon persona, he's so much better than unmasked. The only thing I think took away from this issue was the censorship of the swearing. If it's on TV censorship doesn't bother me, but when it's in a comic I'd rather the writer think of a creative alternative to portray the same message without having to redact his words. Even though I've read it and reread it a handful of times to see if I was missing something, the whole scheme cooked up between Boomerang and Chameleon seemed too convoluted to make sense to me. I'm probably overthinking it though.

Q6BMJ5f.jpg

Issue 2 followed the love of oft-forgot villains with hilarity of Boomerang's Dormammu reference. Nevermind how Fred would even know about Dormammu, that's a great pull. Even as great as Boomerang is in this issue though, especially with the downplaying of concussions being both timely and hilarious, Speed Demon continues to be my favorite. The evil of this issue far surpasses "The Sinister Five Six" with characters like Fred's lawyer, Partridge, who was both unforgivable for his Partridge Family joke and his marrying his secretary so he can call her babe, but still can't, but still does. And then the evil that was Partridge gets trumped by the evil that is Chameleon at the end. Sick. Bastard. The art continues to impress in this issue with the chalkboard during the meeting have a photo of Batman and a doodle of someone with big muscles.

9txDwhh.jpg

Issue three was a little hard to get going. The saga of the old gangster Silvermane and where his lost head went told a good story overall but I was very aware I was being spoon-fed exposition. Took me out of it almost as much as the narration on one of my favorite visual panels - the Hippo-hug.

8jPeGrp.jpg

Man that guy needs to be a regular character almost as much as Partridge. Much like the chalkboard in the previous issue, Steve Lieber continues to crack me up with his art on the billboards behind The Beetle (BOXCAT!). The ending to this episode had me marking out big time though. From issue 3 to issue 6, the endings just kept getting better and better. Nick Spencer was on fire from this point on.

pObN7C7.jpg

Issue 4 was amazing both for the writing, the jokes, and for toying with my emotions. 'Dem feels, man. Loved the bladder spasms joke, as it was just vague enough for casual comic readers to laugh at it but insider enough for diehards to laugh at it. That's the best kind of meta. I was super impressed by Shocker in this issue, who really took it to Luke Cage. Had Beetle not botched her shot, I was invested to see them go a few more rounds. But that ending man. Fred, you sonovabitch!

97O9YpF.jpg

Issue 5 was my favorite issue of the run. From beginning to end, I was dying laughing. The Owl's interrogation and the raid on his compound was panel-to-panel hilarity. As funny as The Owl torturing someone was, I didn't understand what exactly happened. He had a pretty sweet proposal in learning where his weaknesses were, and his anecdote didn't feel like it tied into the situation at all. Then, his deathtrap goes off on it's own, so it's not like he even made a decision one way or the other. He just seems like the kind of guy who rolls with whatever happens, which doesn't make him particularly ruthless or clever. Once again the ending to this issue is masterclass. Boomerang proves he's a liar not only to everyone in his universe, but to the readers by breaking the fourth wall in his narration. The reveal that he was looking for a portrait of an unmasked Doom, thinking the head of Silvermane was a farce he cooked up, only for Shocker to discover the head of Silvermane and steal it from a little boy just fires on all cylinders.

lIc2CeN.jpg

Issue 6 was very character-driven for Fred. His fantasies with his romantic-lead (who's depiction fluctuates between a college age beauty probably using bartending to pay for school, and a middle aged probably inked up chainsmoker who only knows life in a dive bar) all included an awful twist. When he fantasizes about making out with the bartender she belts him. When he fantasize about marrying her, she gives birth to the best man's kid. But hey, at least in that fantasy they get to see the demise of The Avengers together. About halfway through this issue I realized where the next few issues are going (or logically are going to go) and what a death-sentence Fred's written himself by stealing a portrait of unmasked Doctor Doom. If Doom doesn't come after Boomerang in the next few issues then I just don't know what, Nick Spencer. The art does a terrific job always obstructing Doom's face though. Surprisingly, Shocker doesn't show back up in this issue, which I think would have been something to use at the end of the first collected trade. The ending made up for it though, as I squealed to see Tombstone and I squealed even louder to find out The Beetle is Tombstone's daughter. Way to hook me big time.

jDa36J0.jpg

Overall, I'm definitely invested in this series and am going to keep reading. The writing sometimes has plot-holes (or at least I think so, but maybe it's just not clear enough sometimes?) but it's always hilarious. I have no qualm laughing at the idiocy of any character in this issue as it only makes all of them more endearing, unless the unlovable Scott Lang under Nick Spencer's pencil. By the end I loved Boomerang, I loved Speed Demon, and The Beetle won me over big time in issue 6. Shocker is a great character and a solid deadpan staple, but Overdrive left me wanting more in a negative way. Out of all the characters introduced, only being underwhelmed by one character is a huge testament to Nick Spencer's ability as a writer and Steve Lieber should be forcibly skin-grafted at the hip into Spencer's Siamese twin so they are forced to work with each other indefinitely.

The Death of Wolverine
#1-4 by Charles Soule

I'll be leaving on a jet plane tomorrow afternoon, so anyone who wants to make a recommendation for what goes on the poll tomorrow leave it early!

Edited by I Diem

DEATH OF WOLVERINE
Writer: Charles Soule
Artist: Steve McNiven
Colorist: Justin Ponsor
Release Year: 2014
Collected In: Death of Wolverine

Because I binge-read these 4 issues on a plane trip at the beginning of the week, I won't be going issue-by-issue on this one. My thoughts on the book can mostly be summed up by a panel in the first issue however.

6Cw5u0R.jpg

Wolverine is a badass killing machine with or without his powers, even on his deathbed. There's a few "sensitive moments" sprinkled throughout the run but this is the main narrative. Watch him go berzerk on nobodies one last time, unchained, unrestrained, and uncensored. The violence is graphic and bountiful whether it's terrific splash pages of Logan going to war

8lfhKKH.jpg

Or even Kitty fisting Lady Deathstrike

sAgCXH3.jpg

But art aside, the story is pretty scarce. I was surprised when starting this to see it was only 4 issues, and I wish it had been stretched out to 6 so it could breathe more. Instead, it's just a greatest hits retirement tour of someone with a lot more nuance than is rushed through. Reading it all in one sitting made it feel like Charles Soule was just regurgitating anything he knew about Wolverine. "Hey, remember how he's from Japan? Well here he is in Japan." "Hey, remember how he likes to be in the woods?" "Hey, remember how he likes to drink?" And then just throwing any villain he could think of at it while the real end-boss gets just a single issue for us to care about him. If this was a normal six issue run, they could have used issues 4-6 to make me want to see the evil mad scientist get his comeuppance while still having Logan interact with other X-Men or Avenger chums. I assume the stuff I wanted was covered in the stories leading up to this one, but that doesn't make this any better for omitting it.

Everyone's seen the final image of the book by now I'm sure, and it's a beautiful shot, but I really wish the book carried more emotional weight leading up to it. This felt like a lot of missed potential.

OJfEexr.jpg

Spider-Man: Noir
#1-4 by David Hine and Fabrice Sapolsky

And feel free to make any recommendations for the next poll!

Edited by I Diem

Poll for our post-Spider-Man: Noir world

• The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (Ryan North) #1-5
  • The Punisher (Nathan Edmondson) #1-6
  • Marvel Zombies (Robert Kirkman) #1-5
  • Captain America: Man Out Of Time (Mark Waid) #1-5

I'm going to stop deleting these polls after time expires on them so I can start making polls of picks that got votes but not enough to win.

I'm gonna catch up tonight and post thoughts on Superior Foes and Noir but if squirrel girl wins this next poll then I'm skipping.

• Like 1

Just finished  those Superior Foes issues this morning.

I can really see why people on Reddit loved this book. I'd considered reading it after I read Superior Spider-Man but I just felt like I needed a DC book to binge on after that and I never really got back around to it. I liked this so much though that I'm for sure reading the rest of them in the next couple days. Gonna do some bullet points like last time

• First off this really made me realize how dumb the minor villains are. Like, if you're Boomerang why are you operating out of NYC where Spider-Man, Daredevil, any of The Avengers or worst of all The Goddamn Punisher can come down on your head at any moment ? Fucking pack that suit and those rangs up, pick a new name and head to St Louis where you're not going to constantly be punched in the face and you can rob banks.
  • Hands down my favorite bit was Super Villain Anonymous.Jesus and Hippo man-boobs. I honestly though he was going to pick up a new crew there. Glad it went funny.
  • The art is solid. I especially loved the simple little drawings that pop up like when Chameleon was talking about killing the gang for the head.
  • Shocker's new suit is awesome looking. I have no idea at all why Luke Cage took his emblem though.
  • Speaking of Shocker, him booking it out of the lot with the head comes close to Super Villain Anonymous.
  • I also really love the Superhero parole officer angle too. That's an idea that makes so much sense but never occurred to me before.
  • Marvel should really look into this for a TV show. I think it could be amazing. Not even just these characters, just the concept of a fun time with minor villain's lives.

Next up is Noir and Wolverine, though I may finish all of Superior Foes before I dig into those. Shouldn't take long.

• Like 1

I got well behind with this because when I was reading Super Foes, I kept saying 'one more' and ended up reading the whole damn thing. I'll post back later with some proper thoughts and also get round to reading the other stuff shortly :P 

• Like 1

SPIDER-MAN: NOIR
Issues: #1-4

Writers: David Hine and Fabrice Sapolsky
Artist: Carmine Di Giandomenico
Release Year: 2008-2009
Collected In: Spider-Man: Noir

Spider-Man: Noir is a character making a big comeback in prominence. His first issue came out at the end of 2008, but my first introduction to the character came 2 years later through the video game, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. Now a younger generation can find him in the Ultimate Spider-Man: Web-Warriors TV series, or through the recent Spider-Verse or Web Warriors run. Point is, dude's blowing up so let's explore.

XOmtbUT.jpg

First issue, in my opinion starts kind of needlessly in the heat of the action, and then after three pages we cut back to the real how-it-all-started beginning. I would have been fine without the shock treatment that he seemingly shot J. Jonah Jameson. When we see Peter Parker's real life, dealing with the hardships of The Great Depression is where I'm really interested. Aunt May as a rabble-rouser is a great take on the character and certainly gives her something interesting to do. I think given the danger shown present for stirring up political movements there's a missed opportunity here to how this particular Peter lost his parents. Of all the great twists on characters, I was pretty let down by J. Jonah Jameson. I know what his character turned into by the end, but I expected a lot more abuse toward Parker and others. Urich was another I was so-so on, as I think the drug habit was kind of out of place for the story. But man, The Vulture steals the issue. So good the presence they built up for him.

Ksn2bMW.jpg

Our second issue is where Peter gets his Spider-Powers, which are left pretty vague in this series. I wasn't sure if he had the whole spread of abilities we usually see, but the psychedelic bad trip Peter goes on from the cursed spider biting him was like a hint to a much greater universe we're only peeking in on.

Y932X2o.jpg

I wish there were more references to magical artifacts and curses and other supernatural elements, but at least we get to see Peter in action as Spider-Man and Urich gets shot up by Jameson. Which is an ending I still don't entirely get.

OLb4nWF.jpg

The third issue catches up to the first few pages of the first issue and reveals that The Chameleon was impersonating J. Jonah Jameson, so it wasn't the Real McCoy who got shot in the first issue. But how I couldn't wrap my head around how long was Chameleon was impersonating him for? I got the impression from the confrontation between "Jameson" and Goblin that it was the real JJJ who shot Urich, and Peter later forgives and saves JJJ. Or is Peter just not supposed to know it was Jameson? So confusing. It just feels like Chameleon would have had to be playing JJJ for a long time for it to trace back that far, and I got the sense that it was only after the real JJJ couldn't locate Urich's dirt on Goblin that the switch was made. One way or the other, the only real thing that stuck out to me in this issue I liked was the art. Carmine Di Giandomenico repeatedly draws tears throughout this book coming out in a web, which is perfectly apropos but his depiction of Felicia is a woman just radiating bereavement.

ifZoKlJ.jpg

The final issue of the run had some (unintentionally?) funny and infuriating moments with Aunt May. I laughed when she could practically feel Vulture breathing down her neck from the ceiling, and turns around thinking it's Peter, as if that would have been perfectly normal. Aunt May scolding The Spider-Man for using a gun in a very clear-cut, black-and-white, life-or-death situation really took away from her character and made her more plot device than character. I didn't have a problem with this universe's Peter shooting someone dead rather than web them up to escape later, especially if it's used as a learning moment, but this really fell flat on the delivery.

78EisbW.jpg

After that, Peter becomes pretty gray about who lives, who dies, and by what means. For some reason, JJJ needs to be saved, as I mentioned earlier but Peter seems to have no qualm launching Kraven into a heap of known-to-be vicious, man-eating spiders. Goblin on the other hand, he's got to be brought in alive to see trial. And then when Kraven returns as some sort of spider-zombie to drown himself and Goblin in the sewer, well, who's Peter to argue with an act of God like that? The ending was nice, but the last page showing everything in NY as cleaned up and the only danger on the horizon is this Hitler fellow in the papers was superfluous and not fitting the tone of the story. The series should have ended with the bittersuite gift Peter leaves for Felicia when he disappears out her window. Even if her cat is drawn like some sort of exotic albino monkey.

3UyW8lH.jpg

Overall this was a brief but fun run with a lot of potential characters that got rushed through too quickly. Vulture was amazing and is dead. Goblin and Kraven are presumed dead. Urich's dead. I know there's another four issue run after this titled Spider-Man Noir: Eyes Without a Face, but I feel like there'll be just so little carried over from this run to that. I'll still get around to checking it out sometime though, but my interest has really spurred into exploring more Noir Universe stories.

NEXT TIME TRUE BELIEVERS

Because there was a three-way tie between Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (which was my own vote to spite Kirkland :) so I'll disqualify that) Marvel Zombies and Captain America: Man Out of Time, I'll just read Marvel Zombies this week and Captain America next. Poll for the read after Captain America will be up either tomorrow or maybe later in the week.

Edited by I Diem
  • Like 1

Just finished Grant Morrisons run on New X-Men and loved it. It goes without saying that you'll either love Morrison's style or find it pretentious and self indulgent, but it's well worth a shot. 

Anyone have any any recommednations as to where I should go next? I was thinking a Spider-Man series, but not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

From the snippets I've seen posted on Reddit, Spider-Man 2099 was a pretty good run before it got rebooted

In looking for suggestions I ended up adding both runs of Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane solely because I remember hearing one of them was good.

I heard good things about this issue from the 80's where he faces Juggernaut but I haven't read it yet

Or you could pick up from #600 where things start to build to Superior Spider-Man (the latter of which I think is pretty excellent)

On my reading list I've also got Marvel-Knights: Spider-Man and Spider-Man 1602 which is a universe I really want to explore more of

EDIT: POLL FOR AFTER CAPTAIN AMERICA: MAN OUT OF TIME

• Captain Marvel [2012] (Kelly Sue DeConnick) #1-6
  • New X-Men (Grant Morrison) #114-120
  • New Avengers (Brian Michael Bendis) #1-6
  • Thor: God of Thunder (Jason Aaron) #1-5

A couple of second-chance entries that got some support last time they were options and may gain more support with other options.

Edited by I Diem