The "How is this still a thing?" Thread

Benji

As said above, horrendous loading times. Seriously, how is it possible/acceptable on next gen consoles that phenomenal games like the Witcher 3 takes forever to load a save game?

Games without a proper single player. I tend to hate online play, can't stand it for the reasons where other people play like idiots, I want to play a game where everyone is playing properly, hence why I only like single player. The fact that Battlefront was so hyped and so anticipated but then it turns out it's basically COD in that it's a multiplayer game with a token single player campaign tacked on. Personal preference but I hate it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Benji said:

What's wrong with it? It's a big game, bugs are to be expected.

Mind, that does remind me - games being released that are literally unplayable or have horrendous loading times.

But there have been plenty of big, open-world games that have been released in the last 5 years without nearly the amount of problems that Fallout 4 has. I'm not just talking about the repeated crashes to desktop/quest NPCs falling through the world/save files corrupting. It's the little things that just haven't been sorted in the 7 years since the last game (and further back if you want to include Oblivion), the animations being SO stilted, objects and people just floating 2 feet of the ground, NPCs pushing you out of conversations. Don't get me wrong, it's got to the point where I find them hilarious and I'm still really enjoying the game, but there's nowhere near the amount of bugs in most other open world games. It just looks and feels dated in numerous ways.  

11 hours ago, Robsturgh said:

But there have been plenty of big, open-world games that have been released in the last 5 years without nearly the amount of problems that Fallout 4 has. I'm not just talking about the repeated crashes to desktop/quest NPCs falling through the world/save files corrupting. It's the little things that just haven't been sorted in the 7 years since the last game (and further back if you want to include Oblivion), the animations being SO stilted, objects and people just floating 2 feet of the ground, NPCs pushing you out of conversations. Don't get me wrong, it's got to the point where I find them hilarious and I'm still really enjoying the game, but there's nowhere near the amount of bugs in most other open world games. It just looks and feels dated in numerous ways.  

I've experienced none of that.

17 hours ago, Robsturgh said:

Bethesda's game engine. 

16 hours ago, Benji said:

What's wrong with it? It's a big game, bugs are to be expected.

Mind, that does remind me - games being released that are literally unplayable or have horrendous loading times.

I think a lot of the hate for the Creation Engine that Bethesda uses is, with the new gen consoles, its starting to show its age and limitations (and its only 4 years old).  There are really some immersion breaking things in the game that take me out of it, like the water pumps.  I can use one and hear water coming out of it, but no water actually comes out of it.  Then I look at other engines, like Rockstars RAGE, thats been around since 2006 and has always been visually impressive and does minor things that help keep you in the game 

they've actually changed a lot. I've been playing syndicate and we to have a go on Black Flag and the controls were not good, I spend so long running into stuff, and BF didn't seem bad to me at release. The newer game is a massive improvement.

On 21/11/2015 16:46:34, The Bolshevik Bastard said:

The price of controllers is insane. And consoles that don't come with two? Fuck that, what sorta world do we live in?

Right? I thought about buying a spare for the PS4 since the battery life is fucking shocking, then saw the price tag and thought "fuck it, I'll just buy a longer USB cable".

On 21/11/2015 23:06:31, Big Hairy Man Face said:

The franchise still churns out enough good games.

The fact that Sonic is still a thing is sadly a better question.

You have no idea how sad this makes me as a childhood Sonic obsessive. Even Sonic 4, as fun as it was in comparison to more recent games, felt awkward and clunky. The idea of a Sonic game that's as good as the originals has long since been abandoned by me.