What's your favourite fictional future?

Benji

Talking with Rich about the future and crap elsewhere got me thinking about the future in fiction, so I thought I'd ask - what are EWB's favourite (and least favourite) fictional futures? Could be a utopia, could be a dystopia, could be something else entirely.

For me, I've always had a soft spot for Futurama. It's not perfect, and it's not massively flawed, it's just life, as we know it, but a bit weirder. The world spins as it always has (until Robot Party Day, anyway), it's just in the future - no utopia, no dystopia, just life finding a way.

11 minutes ago, Benji said:

Talking with Rich about the future and crap elsewhere got me thinking about the future in fiction, so I thought I'd ask - what are EWB's favourite (and least favourite) fictional futures? Could be a utopia, could be a dystopia, could be something else entirely.

For me, I've always had a soft spot for Futurama. It's not perfect, and it's not massively flawed, it's just life, as we know it, but a bit weirder. The world spins as it always has (until Robot Party Day, anyway), it's just in the future - no utopia, no dystopia, just life finding a way.

a21353878e2fbdd8a6c2398dad3bf8e6cf864f65

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

#obligatoryStarTrekmention

Especially since life on Earth in the future is largely glossed over as "it's completely wonderful there, unless the Borg occasionally show up". :shifty: 

The Voyager crew bested them. They're now about as threatening as Sideshow Bob's 43rd attempt to kill Bart Simpson. :shifty:

Actually, yes. I don't think the Borg actually got to Earth in the end? I mean, outside of alternate timelines that then got fixed, they just showed up once, got into orbit and got shut down. Unless I'm forgetting something.

The Dominion (and/or the Breen) did bomb Earth once though, IIRC.

Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga.....Well until a scientist spots a star suddenly vanish and the humans stupidly voyage to the place and unleash some beasties that threaten to destroy everything.

But apart from that, a couple of guys invented a wormhole device which meant they could just wander through to any spot in the universe. Humans then colonised loads of planets, the position of which didn't really matter (as long as they were kinda habitable or changeable) as you could travel between them instantly through these harnessed wormholes on the surfaces.

I guess the three main technological advances for humans were:

1) The internet (unisphere) was much fuller and you could connect to it and use it in your field of vision at any time you wanted. People could also get implants (that looked like glimmering tattoos when used) which gave you more control.

2) When you got old your work insurance (or paying) meant you could go back to a clinic where you were re-youthed to late teenage years and pretty much start your life again if you wanted.

3) Chips in the base of your brain that stored memories so if you actually got killed they could clone you so you could "live on", which of course isn't really you, so not that great, but it meant that knowledge didn't die when someone did.