The Expanse

Benji

The Expanse is an upcoming American space opera / mystery science fiction drama television series on Syfy, based on the series of novels of the same name. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait) and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity.

It is set to premiere on streaming services on November 23, 2015, and on Syfy on December 14, 2015.

So I'm looking forward to this. Someone described the novels as "Game of Thrones in space", which, whilst I hate that kind of comparison, still intrigues me. Seems to be getting good response too.

Premiere is already up on Facebook if anyone's impatient.

As always, 48 hours preferred on spoilers out of courtesy, but not necessarily against the rules to post in the thread itself.

7 hours ago, Benji said:

So I'm looking forward to this. Someone described the novels as "Game of Thrones in space", which, whilst I hate that kind of comparison, still intrigues me. Seems to be getting good response too.

Premiere is already up on Facebook if anyone's impatient.

As always, 48 hours preferred on spoilers out of courtesy, but not necessarily against the rules to post in the thread itself.

I've read part of the first book. It seemed to be building up nicely, but I got sidetracked for some reason and never finished it.

• 4 weeks later...

So did anyone else watch it? I quite liked it, it still felt a bit awkward as they did some world building, but that's to be expected. My one big problem is that I can't remember anyone's character name beyond the XO, who I literally know as XO >_> I did like how it didn't feel overly futuristic, it felt very much like "this is just society and technology has changed a bit", because that's something a lot of sci-fi misses out on, trying to go too hard with the gimmicks too fast. Not sure it's going to be "Game of Thrones in space" like some writers would have had me believe, but it looks promising at least.

• 7 months later...

I've heard this may be getting a run on Amazon Prime in December. Anyone else heard anything? Loved the first couple of books, and the show has gotten really good reviews.

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested,  Netflix picked this up in the UK and series 1 is available. 

For the record, on the back of this thread, I started reading the books too - just started book 4. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched about four episodes of it last night (can't remember if I started episode four or five and got interrupted to play games). I'd given it a shot when it first aired but stopped at episode three, largely because it was a pain trying to find where to watch it since it didn't air in the UK and partly because the pace was a bit slow for a weekly show. As I'd suspected, it works better as a binging show. Still not "Game of Thrones in space" that it had been described as, but those kind of comparisons were only ever going to hurt it. The Cant crew story is definitely the most interesting of the ones going on at the moment, even more so since it informs everything else going on/

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Watched about four episodes of it last night (can't remember if I started episode four or five and got interrupted to play games). I'd given it a shot when it first aired but stopped at episode three, largely because it was a pain trying to find where to watch it since it didn't air in the UK and partly because the pace was a bit slow for a weekly show. As I'd suspected, it works better as a binging show. Still not "Game of Thrones in space" that it had been described as, but those kind of comparisons were only ever going to hurt it. The Cant crew story is definitely the most interesting of the ones going on at the moment, even more so since it informs everything else going on/

How are you finding the belter idioms and slang? It's easy enough in the books, but I do find it occasionally off-putting in the Ceres centric scenes.

• 2 years later...

Re-started this the other day and blitxed through all three seasons in super quick time. I've read about 5 of the books so far, and I've got to day that they've nailed quite a lot of the plot, the setting and the characters really well.  I know there were some people who felt Season 3 was a bit rushed (it was - they thought, correctly, that they were getting cancelled, so they squeezed in as much as they could to round it off as well as possible). Can't wait for Season 4 and 5 - so glad Amazon picked it up. 

I really like a lot of the science in the show - so much of it seems logical and makes you wonder why other sci fi shows haven't done it before.