What game franchises need reviving?

Benji

21 hours ago, Benji said:

Final Fight, Double Dragon and Streets of Rage. We really need a revival of side-scrolling beat 'em ups, especially with online co-op being such a big thing.

I'll have to dig out some of the concept art for a game idea I was working on about two years ago; between myself, an artist and a couple of programmers we were trying to come up with a working model of a side-scroller based on old El Santo/Lucha movies, where you played as one of two Luchadores fighting zombies and mummies. Our main inspiration was the old X-Men Arcade game. Sadly, it never really went beyond some very, very basic work, but I'd love to try and get that made one day.

I'd love to see a new SimEarth, or Creatures. They'd seem relevant in a time more focused on environmental issues than when the originals were released, and it'd be interesting to see what they could do with newer technology.

I'd also like to see Ron Gilbert make another Monkey Island game - he left the series after 2, which had an insane ending that got more or less ignored in 3, but has always insisted he had a plan for a 3rd game. I'd love to see what that was. In the meantime, I can't wait for Thimbleweed Park!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skummy said:

I'll have to dig out some of the concept art for a game idea I was working on about two years ago; between myself, an artist and a couple of programmers we were trying to come up with a working model of a side-scroller based on old El Santo/Lucha movies, where you played as one of two Luchadores fighting zombies and mummies.

Oh my God you have no idea how much I need this in my life right now. The closest I've come to something like that is Guacamelee, but in my head your concept sounds cooler, and Guac was more of a platformer than a beat em up anyway.

Yeah, the existence of Guacamelee was one of the many reasons we kind of tailed off (along with other commitments, time constraints, and being overly ambitious), even though Guacamelee is, as you say, more of a puzzle-platformer than a side-scrolling beat-'em-up, and even though you play as a Luchadore, was aesthetically more Day Of The Dead influenced. I wanted comic book luchadores vs. monsters and mooks. One day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cactus Drags said:

Fighting Force was actually made as a sequel to Streets of Rage. Sega rejected it for whatever reason, so it got rebranded and released on Playstation. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously in the thread, but in this world of multiplayer focused gaming and DLC, it's completely beyond me how there hasn't been a new Timesplitters game. I would accept the old HD remastered collection treatment at this point. 

How TS hasn't been remade is beyond me. If that was released on console it would actually make me buy one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KiddKorupt11 said:

Illusion of Gaia

That game had a spiritual successor called "Terranigma" released in fall of 1995 in Japan and winter of 1996 in Europe. It was never released in the US though. There was another one where they basically gave the engine over to US developers to make their own RPG but I can't remember the name of that.

Edit: The game I was talking about was "Secret Of Evermore" and it had nothing to do with the "Soulblazer/Illusion Of Gaia/Terranigma" trilogy by Enix. Rather, it was a spin-off of the "Secret Of Mana" franchise by Square. After the success of "Secret Of Mana" (which actually is the 2nd game of the franchise) people wanted a sequel. But the official sequel "Seiken Densetsu 3" was only released in Japan. The rest of the world got "Secret Of Evermore" which was the first game to be developed by Square USA.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

I'm aware of Terranigma. I wasn't a fan of that game. I thought it was the weakest of the Soul Blazer/Gaia "series". Although maybe I didn't give it a fair shake when compared to the majesty that is Gaia, I dunno. I'll go back to it someday and give it a fair shot.

Also, in my opinion Secret of Mana was the best game on the SNES. I enjoyed that game far more than Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III/VI. Secret of Evermore was fun, but it just didn't resonate with me as much as Mana did. I would LOVE an HD remake of Secret of Mana, as long as it stays exactly true to the original. 

I couldn't get into Seken Densetsu 3. I dunno why, I just thought it wasn't as fun as Mana. Another game I'll have to go back to and give a fair shot.

Edited by KiddKorupt11
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KiddKorupt11 said:

I'm aware of Terranigma. I wasn't a fan of that game. I thought it was the weakest of the Soul Blazer/Gaia "series". Although maybe I didn't give it a fair shake when compared to the majesty that is Gaia, I dunno. I'll go back to it someday and give it a fair shot.

Also, in my opinion Secret of Mana was the best game on the SNES. I enjoyed that game far more than Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III/VI. Secret of Evermore was fun, but it just didn't resonate with me as much as Mana did. I would LOVE an HD remake of Secret of Mana, as long as it stays exactly true to the original. 

I couldn't get into Seken Densetsu 3. I dunno why, I just thought it wasn't as fun as Mana. Another game I'll have to go back to and give a fair shot.

Wow, how different perceptions can be. I love Terranigma and if I had to make a list of my favorite games it would be in the top 5. I'm not saying Illusion Of TIme is bad. I had a lot of fun playing that as well. And maybe it's due to nostalgia that Terranigma holds up so well in my mind.

20 hours ago, Kaney said:

I've said it before but Timesplitters was amazing. Fuck CoD, this was the best fps series ever.

I hate most FPS games, but most FPS games don't have a series of levels based on throwing bricks through a Chinese restaurant's windows.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Skummy said:

I hate most FPS games, but most FPS games don't have a series of levels based on throwing bricks through a Chinese restaurant's windows.

Or a level defending a Siberian dam from a barrage of exploding monkeys sent by the Russian mafia, in order to unlock a zombie cyborg character.

I fucking love those games you guys.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Kaney said:

Or a level defending a Siberian dam from a barrage of exploding monkeys sent by the Russian mafia, in order to unlock a zombie cyborg character.

I fucking love those games you guys.

The multiplayer was incredible. I don't know how many hours I spent playing that with mates. We used to play Infection or Virus or what it was called but set all the infected to monkeys which made it as hard as fuck to do well.

• Like 4

Nowadays, I even have fond memories of the fucking bullshit robot cat racing thing. I hated that mode, but I just had to complete it for the rewards, I can't even remember what they were. I just remember me and my flatmates sat on the sofa our third year of uni, taking a turn and passing the pad until we did it. I think we were most likely putting off some really important project work, but still. 

• Like 2