Formula One 2016

JasonM

• Admin

Formula 1's teams appear poised to reject the aggregate qualifying system in Thursday's vote, Autosport understands.

The proposal for the new format came following a meeting of the 11 teams, FIA president Jean Todt, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery in the paddock ahead of last Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix.

An evaluation process of the system has since been carried out, but sources have confirmed to Autosport the teams are against the suggested set-up.

They are not alone as some drivers have also voiced their objections.

Four-time F1 champion Sebastian Vettel led the chorus of disapproval by describing aggregate qualifying as "a shit idea", adding that "it's time to go to the circus".

Fans have also added their voice, with numerous polls showing even the current unpopular elimination format to be ahead of the aggregate proposition.

The idea would involve drivers' two best laptimes being combined to reach an aggregate, and would apply to all of Q1, Q2 and Q3.

Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo stated: "Qualifying is one lap, that one perfect lap."

Aggregate qualifying was previously introduced in 2005, with one lap conducted on low fuel on Saturday, and the other on Sunday with a race-fuel load.

It proved a disaster on that occasion and lasted only six races before it was scrapped.

The teams are pushing for a return to the qualifying method that was in place from 2006 to 2015, with the aim for evaluations to be conducted over the remainder of this season before the potential introduction of a new format in 2017.

A heavily political battle is being waged on this divisive topic between the teams in one corner, and the FIA and Ecclestone in the other.

Todt and Ecclestone are of the opinion there is no going back to the former system, and have so far refused to put it back on the table to be voted on.

They are of the belief that as the teams voted for the current knockout scheme then they have to live with it, or come up with an alternative recommendation.

At this stage, with deeply entrenched positions on both sides, it appears elimination qualifying will be in place for the Chinese Grand Prix, unless one side or the other makes a late shift in position.

FIA and Bernie Ecclestone really are dead set on making F1 a complete joke of a shitshow just to to win the discussion. And it's clear they don't care if the fans turn their backs on the sport because they're ashamed of what it has become.

I feel that the teams and drivers really need to make a hard statement by boycotting an entire Friday, or even Saturday or Sunday. Because else Todt and Bernie are just going to continue pissing off everyone in their attempt to win their game of thrones. Because it's painfully obvious they're not listening to anyone but themselves right now.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of aggregate qualifying as it really dampens any excitement of the final stages if you're having to work it out amongst the times that have already been set.

I would still really love the return of single lap qualifying on a single set of pure qualifying tyres with no fuel load restriction to make it the absolute purest lap possible in terms of speed, but I'm assuming that will never come back due to the complications of deciding the running order.

In my head I could see the aggregate idea working if it was done over all three sessions (none of this 'best of two' rubbish), and the timers were so quick it could calculate what a driver has to achieve and then they do a lap while the clock counts down on them - showing P1 but then slipping further and further down the slower the lap - instead. But then obviously there's the issue of timings changing in the middle of a lap, and so on. It's a nice idea that needs lots of thought.

But I don't see what's wrong with what they had. The only issue was some didn't come back out for P3 to perserve tyres. The solution: give them a set of tyres for P3 only.

• Admin

All 11 Formula 1 teams have joined forces and written a letter to motorsport's ruling hierarchy expressing a desire to return to last year's qualifying format, Autosport has learned.

Sources have confirmed the letter underlines the unanimity being shown by the teams on this subject, and a desire do what they feel is in the best interests of the fans and for F1 in general.

The letter has been sent to FIA president Jean Todt, supremo Bernie Ecclestone and commercial rights holders CVC Capital Partners.

It is confirmation the aggregate qualifying system that had been proposed at a meeting in Bahrain on Sunday between the teams, Todt, Ecclestone and Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery has been unanimously rejected, as predicted by Autosport on Thursday morning.

The move is part of a heavily political battle being waged on what has become a divisive topic between the teams in one corner, and the FIA and Ecclestone in the other.

Todt and Ecclestone are of the opinion there is no going back to the format used from 2006-15, and have so far refused to put it back on the table to be voted upon.

They are of the belief that as the teams voted for the current knockout scheme then they have to live with it, or come up with an alternative recommendation.

A response from Todt, Ecclestone and CVC is now awaited with interest.

The teams are at least not alone in their dismissal of the format, as drivers and fans have also voiced their opposition in recent days.

The idea would have seen the two best lap times combined to make up an aggregate, and would have applied to all of Q1, Q2 and Q3.

Aggregate qualifying was last used in 2005, with one lap conducted on low fuel on Saturday, and the other on Sunday with a race-fuel load, which only lasted six races.

At this stage, with two deeply entrenched positions on both sides, it appears elimination qualifying will be in place for the Chinese Grand Prix, unless one side or the other makes a late shift in position.

Autosport understands there is one other option available for now, and that is a modification of the current structure, although there is no clarity as to how it should proceed if it stays in place.

• Admin

They have! Huzzah!

Formula 1 qualifying is to revert back to last year's format from the Chinese Grand Prix, Autosport has learned.

The move comes on the back of a letter from all 11 teams to FIA president Jean Todt, supremo Bernie Ecclestone and commercial rights holders CVC Capital Partners on Thursday morning, demanding the current elimination system be ditched, and that F1 returns to the set-up used from 2006-15.

Souces have confirmed Todt and Ecclestone have accepted it would be in the best interests of the championship to drop the controversial format and plans for an aggregate replacement.

Speaking to Autosport, Ecclestone does not now feel "it is possible to find a solution" for the future.

Ecclestone added: "People seem to forget what we are trying to do, which is muddle the grid up a little bit because what we have seen doesn't make for much excitement.

"Lewis [Hamilton] has helped us a bit this season by not making good starts and having to come through the field, and Ferrari finally seems to have got his act together, so maybe things will change.

"Unless we can get everybody on board with regard to a new format then we are not going to find an answer. It's as simple as that."

Earlier on Thursday, it appeared as if an impasse had been reached between the 11 teams in one corner and Ecclestone and Todt in the other, with regard to a way forward over the future format of qualifying.

Although the teams played their part in voting through the new elimination set-up for this season, it had proven unpopular and ineffective, with the action front-loaded in Q1.

Further talks took place between the teams, Ecclestone, Todt, along with Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery in the paddock in Bahrain last Sunday, with the aggregate qualifying system proposed.

That system ran for six races only at the start of 2005 before being ditched, but teams agreed to review it, only for talks over the past few days to discover it would not work.

A vote was scheduled to take place, but with the teams in agreement for once, they opted to make a stand against Ecclestone and Todt.

Common sense prevails at last.

• Like 1

• Admin

Lewis Hamilton will head into the Chinese Grand Prix facing a five-place grid penalty after Mercedes decided to change the gearbox on his Formula 1 car.

The previous gearbox on the reigning F1 world champion's W07 sustained damage during his recovery drive to third place in the Bahrain Grand Prix after a first-corner clash with the Williams of Valtteri Bottas.

Mercedes discovered cracks to some components within the gearbox during an inspection of the unit on Wednesday and decided it could not be used again.

The gearbox would ordinarily have needed to last until the end of May's Monaco GP.

Hamilton will therefore take a fresh gearbox for this weekend's Chinese race, which will put him in breach of rules that dictate gearboxes must last six consecutive events.

The only exceptions to these rules, for which a five-place grid penalty applies for a breach, are for non-starters and non-finishers (for technical reasons) of the previous race, neither of which applies in Hamilton's case.

Hamilton currently trails team-mate Nico Rosberg by 17 points in the world championship after pole starts from pole positions contributed to defeats in the opening two rounds.

• Admin

Fernando Alonso has been given permission to participate in Chinese Grand Prix first practice, but will undergo further tests afterwards to determine his eligibility for the remainder of the weekend.

After fracturing a rib in the Australian GP, Alonso then sat out the subsequent Formula 1 grand prix in Bahrain on medical advice.

Further tests followed at the Shanghai International Circuit medical centre on Thursday morning, and following a lengthy wait the two-time world champion has been given provisional dispensation to drive in FP1.

A statement from the FIA read: "Since the accident at the Australian Grand Prix, McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team driver Fernando Alonso has been undergoing the process of 'reintegration' in accordance with Chapter II of Appendix L of the International Sporting Code.

"McLaren Honda have applied for Alonso to participate in the 2016 Chinese Grand Prix.

"As the injury to the driver was discovered some days after the Australian Grand Prix, the reintegration does not strictly fall within the text of the Appendix.

"Therefore, the Stewards have taken advice from the FIA Medical Delegate (Jean-Charles Piette), who in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of the Chinese Grand Prix, and the driver's doctors advise, that he considers the driver provisionally fit to take part in the event.

"Given the exceptional circumstances, and having heard from the team, the Stewards have decided to exempt the driver from strict compliance with Art. 3(b) of Chapter II of Appendix L, relying instead on Art. 3(a),which has been satisfied.

"Therefore driver Fernando Alonso will be allowed to participate, subject to the provision below.

"The driver has been given directions by the FIA Medical Delegate and CMO which he is to follow (Art. 12.1.1.i of the International Sporting Code.)

"Further, in accordance with Art. 22.14 of the Formula One Sporting Regulations, he is instructed by the FIA Medical Delegate and CMO to undergo a further examination immediately following FP1 to determine his further eligibility to take part in the remainder of the event."

Prior to the FIA statement, Alonso proclaimed himself to be ready as he said: "I feel good. I feel OK.

"In Bahrain I was mentally 100 per cent ready to race physically, but I had a lot of pain. I was ready to try to at least see if the pain was manageable with the broken rib.

"The situation has improved a lot and mentally I am 120 per cent now, but physically I am 100 per cent with no pain in the last couple of days.

"I have been training with the normal routine for the past two weeks - running, bicycle, golf, tennis, many a sport that was a big change in terms of this race to be a little more ready and fit.

"I did sleep for the last two weeks as well because for the first 10 days after Australia I could only sleep on one side so that was not really comfortable.

"But from Bahrain to here, a big improvement. I feel good."

I assume since it's only a five place penalty, he'll just start last behind the Manor that crashed and didn't set a time. Not 100% sure though. Did Alonso and Button have to start from the pitlane last year when they were being handed absurd grid penalties?

1 hour ago, Katsuya loves Oslo said:

Lewis will start from the back of the grid because of a power failure in qualifying. Given that he had that 5 place penalty anyway though, will that have a knock on during the race too?

Lewis will start in 22nd place behind Wehrlein due to the grid penalty, it will not have a knock on like time penalties or the like. Technically he quali'd 21st due to comparing their FP3 times (in case of multiple cars having no time set), and then the 5 place penalty is added so that leaves him 22nd on the grid.

12 minutes ago, hugobomb said:

I assume since it's only a five place penalty, he'll just start last behind the Manor that crashed and didn't set a time. Not 100% sure though. Did Alonso and Button have to start from the pitlane last year when they were being handed absurd grid penalties?

Alonso/Button started at the back of the grid rather than the pits.

The only times you start in the pits is in cases of:
- parc fermé infractions
- post-quali part changes
- Being the last one off the grid during the formation lap (stalling and the final car passing you, doesn't count if you're 22nd obviously.)
- Causing an aborted start (Like Hulkenberg at Spa last year)
- Going into the pits after the formation lap for any sort of car changes (You basically are part of the race until you officially retire, so cars are allowed to start at lap 30 if they still want to drive for reasons)
- Non-Racing penalties, like Magnussen missing the weight bench.

So there's a chance that Hamilton will have to start from the pits if they have to replace a powertrain part due to the power failure.