Formula One 2016

JasonM

2 hours ago, GA! said:

Has F1 always been this boring or am I on a really long streak of bad races? You know the sport needs change when I fall asleep during the Belgian and Italian GPs.

It's gotten steadily more like that for the last few years now unfortunately.

Nobody ever, ever, ever used to get booed on the podium, I don't get how that's managed to creep in to proceedings.

Another rumour going around is that Carlos Slim is planning a majority takeover of Force India, which would coincide perfectly with Perez (who is Slim-sponsored) having just signed a new extension to keep him at Force India.

Could also mean that Gutierrez might make the move to make it a double-Mexican lineup, which could probably mean Hülkenberg returned to Williams, or might end up out of the sport and starting his LMP career fully.

Either way, between Liberty Media splashing the cash to buy F1, Bernie doing Bernie things, and this news about Carlos Slim, silly season has officially begun in a major way.

It'll be interesting how LMC will handle F1. They've announced to be interested in doing more with online content (which quite frankly, is non-existent for F1). But their stuff regarding the Braves doesn't leave much for excitement, to be honest.

Needless to say, i'm not gonna decry or praise this takeover just yet, because even though the CVC didn't do anything to improve the sport, it can always become even worse.

I saw a quick interview with some of the F1 drivers talking about the new owners and one of them were saying that they want to get more young people watching because the demographic watching is in the 30's. Well, when I was young it was on the Beeb (I think) and I am sure as hell I won't pay to watch it now, so them nippers aren't going to, I guess.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I've not got to watch qualifying or practice. What happened to Vettel that he's starting last?

Well that was a start.

Broken anti roll bar. He wanted to come in and have it fixed but they kept him out to get another lap in but he was never going to get a good lap in with the damage and by the time he did pit there wasn't enough time to fix it and get back out. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
  • Teenager Lance Stroll is close to securing a Williams Formula 1 race drive for 2017, Autosport understands. The 17-year-old Canadian, who leads the Formula 3 European Championship, joined the Williams young driver development driver programme at the end of last season and has impressed the team with his application to the role.
  • Sergio Perez has warned he might look at other options beyond Formula 1 if his future is not resolved by the end of next week.
  • Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz Jr feels "honoured" and "proud" to have interest from Formula 1 rival Renault but would not be drawn on how that affects his future. Earlier this year, the Spaniard signed a new deal to stay at Toro Rosso in 2017 but there has been consistent speculation linking with him a move to Renault. Sainz insisted his dream is to be fighting for the title with Red Bull in 2018 but Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen have contracts with the senior team that run up until the end of that season.
  • Sauber have more or less confirmed that they will have two pay drivers next season, but Ericsson and Nasr are known to be speaking to other teams as well. They will probably remain where they are, though.
  • Haas team principal Gunther Steiner has ruled out signing Ferrari protege Charles Leclerc for 2017 as he feels the America Formula 1 team needs experienced drivers.

PROVISIONAL 2017 F1 CALENDAR

March 26 Australia (Melbourne)
April 9 China (Shanghai)
April 16 Bahrain (Sakhir)
April 30 Russia (Sochi)
May 14 Spain (Barcelona)
May 28 Monaco
June 11 Canada (Montreal)*
June 18 Europe (Baku)
July 2 Austria (Red Bull Ring)
July 9 Britain (Silverstone)
July 23 Hungary (Hungaroring)
July 30 Germany (Hockenheim)*
August 27 Belgium (Spa)
September 3 Italy (Monza)
September 17 Malaysia (Sepang)
October 1 Singapore (Marina Bay)
October 8 Japan (Suzuka)
October 22 United States (Austin)
November 5 Mexico (Mexico City)
November 12 Brazil (Interlagos)*
November 26 Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)

* Subject to confirmation

Honda has spent two of its Formula 1 development tokens on an internal combustion engine upgrade but only Fernando Alonso will run it in Malaysia, Autosport has learned. Alonso will take a 30-place grid penalty as Honda is changing the ICE, his ninth of the season, as well as the turbo, MGU-H, energy store and control electronics. One token has been spent for an update on the engine block, with the aim of improving reliability and durability while adding performance due to a reduction in weight. The second token has been used to upgrade the exhaust.

The FIA World Motor Sport Council has approved a measure to prevent Formula 1 teams stockpiling spare power unit elements from 2017.

• Admin

That fire on Magnussen's car in during FP1! Astonishing scenes. It certainly raises questions about the halo and how that could impact a quick escape from a burning car.

Anyway, Lewis on pole for Sepang in the morning. And Sergio Perez has FINALLY committed to Force India for the 2017 season.

I miss the start to the race, and of course this week they have Vettel take himself out and causing Rosberg to drop to the back as a result...

Yeah, Hamilton was on the way for an easy win and then his engine exploded, giving Ricc and Max a 1-2 for Red Bull. With Rosberg still coming in third to show how OP the Merc truly is.

Ultimately a great ending to a decent race. Lots of retirements, but not much in on-track excitement.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

Rosberg winning all practice sessions and starting on pole tomorrow, he's returned to the great form he had earlier in the season and then some.

I fully expect shit to go wrong for him tomorrow...

PS: Mildly unrelated. Three hours after the start of the Japanese Grand Prix we will also see the start of the third season of Formula E at Hong Kong. If you're interested, check out the Formula E thread we got going!

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1