Scott Weiland dead at 48

TheSqauredCircleMessiah

It's a shame. I'm not a big STP fan but I like the two Velvet Revolver albums he was involved in. But if you have followed his career ever since he was fired from STP, or his career as a whole really, it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, DanielBryanZ said:

This is definitely a shame. He was a great singer. I will say this, I'll eat all the hats in the world if it's found out he died any other way other than from drug use.

Was there actually any need to say this? It's a long running tradition on EWB that we do not bad mouth people this close to death with no proof, please be respectful.

• Like 5

I think it's pushing it a bit to suggest he's badmouthing (I hate that term) the guy. He's not said anything intentionally unpleasant, and even said that he thought his death was a shame.

It's inference and speculation. Not badmouthing. Whether you take exception to that sort of thing is up to you, obviously. It could certainly be expressed in a slightly more level-headed manner.

-------------------------------------

ANYWAY

Against my better judgement, I quite liked Plush. And that Slither one by Velvet Underground was cool. Shame for the guy.

• Like 3

This is such a sad story.

I'm very fond of grunge/grunge-ish music and Weiland was definitely one of the best vocalists from that era. I love pretty much all of his STP stuff, a fair few Velvet Revolver tracks, and I've got a soft spot in my heart for his inconsistent but occasionally great solo music. Hell, in the past I've even confessed a (somewhat kitschy, I'll admit) fondness for his Christmas album. When Scott Weiland had it together his was a powerful, anthemic rock and roll voice that will always be one of my favorites. He was one of my first conduits away from run of the mill radio pop as a kid and it's absolutely gutting to know that because of his struggles the world probably never got to hear him live up to his full potential. His music wasn't universally great but there were flashes of an amazing singer songwriter in every iteration of his career.

I was so happy when STP reunited a few years ago. The reunion album wasn't their best work but I definitely enjoyed it. I suspect I'll like it even more now because from everything I'd read or watched he seemed to be in a good place at that point. And then whatever happened happened and things just spiraled out of control from there. That video of him a few months ago stumbling over the lyrics to Vasoline was heart breaking and it sucks knowing that moments like that are the ones some people will remember him for the most. The dude was a hell of a singer and I hope that his fans and the band mates he had fallen out with will remember him not for his demons but for things like this:

Rest in peace, Scott Weiland. 48 is far too young.

Edited by Dr. Rated-R
  • Like 2

I remember downloading a few albums the night before my last holiday abroad in 2007 to listen to whilst away, one of them was STP's Core. Through it's inclusion on GTA San Andreas' (one of my favourite games) Radio X, Plush was on of the main songs responsible for introducing me to grunge, and as a whole getting me interested in music as a teenager, so it'll always hold a little special place in my heart. And little did I know at the time, only finding out about 5 years later, but Weiland was also featured as a co-singer on Hold On on Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish, my very first album when I was 12.

I never bothered with Velvet Revolver, and I've since gone beyond most grunge artists, but Scott Weiland has crossed paths with me more times than I've realised. It's not really a shock, but it is a shame.

I spent my journey home from work, stuck in traffic, blaring out Plush screaming/singing at the top of my lungs on repeat. What a song.

• Like 1

Man, STP was like a staple of my youth and the stuff he did with Velvet Revolver was amazing. He tried so hard constantly to get clean but always seemed to fall back into it. Whether or not his death came from that or not, to be honest, is irrelevant. It's simply another sad day in music to have lost such an amazing voice.

• Like 1

Very talented singer, and it is sad that he died. I liked both STP (and can't believe they replaced him with Chester from Linkin Park) and Velvet Revolver.

I'm hoping the cause of death wasn't drug related.

If I was still DJing online, I'd bust out "Slither", "Plush" and "Sex Type Thing" during my next set. Maybe "Vasoline", too. But I stopped doing that back in May. 

Loved STP, and liked Velvet Revolver.  I really hope this wasn't the result of an OD, but my hopes aren't too high.  The guy struggled with heroin addiction forever.  I remember I saw Velvet Revolver live once.  At one point, Weiland left the stage, got on the shoulders on an audience member, and ranted about how evil the record industry was.  There was a video wall that had a close up on his face, and his pupils were dilated so much, it was obvious he was on something. 

He always reminded of Layne Staley...brilliant musicians, but people who seemingly needed drugs to keep at it 

I liked STP and VR, I was never a huge fan, but they've got plenty of songs on my shuffled rotation. I did, however, really enjoy Camp Freddy and the radio/podcasts and songs they produced. Spent a lot of time enjoying their stuff during my teens during a summer I vividly remember. Regardless of what you think of him, or his personal choices, there's no denying he lived life how he best knew to enjoy it, and his bombastic performances made the bands he was part of into something more than they would have been without him.

• Like 2

Scott Weiland's ex-wife wrote a brutally honest essay for "Rolling Stone" on the side of him we didn't know. While it's sad to read, I feel it's appropriate to bring it to light. As the child of a serious drug addict, I know the pain his kids experienced their whole lives, it is heartbreaking. 

Edited by TheSqauredCircleMessiah