Better Call Saul

Sousa

On 22/08/2018 at 02:08, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Just on one thing:

Hide contents

Doesn't Gus already know Nacho did Hector? Or have I misunderstood when he said "I know what you did" in last week's parking lot scene?

Spoiler

He definitely knows. That's how why he has Nacho now, he spotted it straight away when Hector went down. 

This show is so fucking good! Gus is really coming into his own now which is great. Arturo's death was brutal too, the most Breaking Bad moment of the series so far. I really feel for Nacho though, he's a fantastic character. Parallels to Jesse in a lot of ways in the sense that I think he's a good person beneath it all who's out of his depth. I really don't think this all ends well for him with Gus though. We know Victor is meandering towards date with a box cutter but I fear Nacho meets a similar fate. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCO said:
  Hide contents

He definitely knows. That's how why he has Nacho now, he spotted it straight away when Hector went down. 

This show is so fucking good! Gus is really coming into his own now which is great. Arturo's death was brutal too, the most Breaking Bad moment of the series so far. I really feel for Nacho though, he's a fantastic character. Parallels to Jesse in a lot of ways in the sense that I think he's a good person beneath it all who's out of his depth. I really don't think this all ends well for him with Gus though. We know Victor is meandering towards date with a box cutter but I fear Nacho meets a similar fate. :(

Spoiler

I feel that Nacho's demise will take a little while longer, given that he'll probably cross paths with Jimmy at some stage. Whether or not that's during the next few episodes or a bit later remains to be seen.

Something I've been eager to find out about is Gus' true identity. We know from Breaking Bad that there was no record of a man called Gustavo Fring in Chile, and Don Eladio told him that the only reason he kept him alive is because he knows who he really is.

13 hours ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

I feel that Nacho's demise will take a little while longer, given that he'll probably cross paths with Jimmy at some stage. Whether or not that's during the next few episodes or a bit later remains to be seen.

Spoiler

Nacho already crossed paths with Jimmy, though? It was in the second episode of the first season.

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

The wheels continue in motion. I really like the slow burn of this series.

Something I've seen people talk about with regards to this week's episode is that Jimmy and Kim go to a restaurant called Forque. It's been thrown around that it's a nod to the fork in the road they're both facing with their careers and, ultimately, their long-term fates. Kim's taking the "conventional" route and working towards helping people, whereas Jimmy is taking the decisive steps towards the criminal underworld, as seen spectacularly at the end. It's also interesting to see how he reacted to the death of Ms. Strauss, and how he looked back at the tape of the advert, signalling that the parts of his life at the beginning of the show are slowly fading away.

Huell looks in good shape now, thanks to actor Lavell Crawford's loss of around 140 lbs since we last saw him. It inadvertently adds another layer of intrigue for Breaking Bad as he'd have had to gain a lot of mass between now and his first appearance in the later timeline.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2018 at 23:56, Adam es Tranquilo said:

I hate to say it but this series is a little too slow for my liking now. There's not enough happening week to week.

It looks as though the most recent episode is setting up some big things. Even though this series is the slowest so far, I'm still engaged. I can see a lot of the little things that have come up over the last few episodes to work well with hindsight on rewatches once the whole story has finished.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

It looks as though the most recent episode is setting up some big things. Even though this series is the slowest so far, I'm still engaged. I can see a lot of the little things that have come up over the last few episodes to work well with hindsight on rewatches once the whole story has finished.

I'm engaged with it still too I just wanted a little more, I think the ratio of set up episodes to more impactful ones hasn't been as it should be, for me anyway.

Spoiler

Very good episode, in my opinion. Jimmy, while certainly not on the Walter White scale of fallen souls, has still established himself as a considerably less likeable figure than he was at the start of the series. While he's started to drag Kim down to his level somewhat, the ending suggests that it's his lack of compassion that will ultimately drive a wedge between them. Kim might be enjoying the thrill of bending rules, but Jimmy does so for his own ends, whereas Kim's been doing it for the benefit of others, chiefly among them Jimmy himself.

I liked the further insight into his relationship with Chuck during this episode. Chuck might have been judgemental and condescending towards Jimmy during his law career, but we've now established that he vouched for Jimmy and looked out for him. As we saw last series in the flashbacks to their childhood, Chuck's claim that he never really cared for Jimmy can't have been entirely true, and now it's clearer that there was, even shortly before the events of the show started, some true affection between the two.

It's a shame we didn't see more of Nacho, but Mike's clinical, yet oddly merciful disposal of Werner made up for it. A few episodes ago, it seemed that it would be Kai who felt the wrath of Gus' operation, but that was a red herring that I appreciated.

Also, amidst all the seriousness, seeing Ernie try his hand at Bonnie Tyler karaoke was a big highlight. So too was Michael McKean bringing out his Spinal Tap roots to deliver his own singing performance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up to S1E7, and I hate Mrs. Kettleman. I'm sure it's intentional but what an absolute pain in the ass she is. Mr. Kettleman isn't much better but it's very possible that she's my absolute least favourite character in the entire Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe.

Up to S3E3, and I guess I'll put it in a spoiler but it's not really anything big

Spoiler

but god damn I hate Chuck. I think I have since the start. I'm definitely supposed to, so its writing is working as intended.
This is such an odd show. It's not bad or anything, it just feels so different to Breaking Bad. I don' think I'm into this as much as I am into BB, but I must be into it enough to be nearly halfway through the third season after only a couple of days...

• Like 1

Minor S3E5 spoiler

Spoiler

I saw Huell first when he passed Chuck on the stairs and thought 'I hope that's not supposed to be Huell? It looks nothing like him!' and god damn it's the same damn actor. He's lost so much weight, he looks entirely different.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...