Better Call Saul

Sousa

I think this is about the slowest burn to a series I have ever seen. The Wire had a slow burn and it was amazing. We sort of all know how it will turn out because of BB, but how are they making something this slow seem so enjoyable? 

Spoiler

Does anyone else remember when Walt and Jesse kidnapped Jimmy/Saul in Breaking Bad and held him at gunpoint at the roadside? He was shouting, "No! No! It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!" He then tried to communicate with them in Spanish, possibly thinking they were part of the cartel.

I've been looking forward to finding out what he was talking about, and I'm now wondering if the revelation is soon to come. Did Saul think he was being blamed for Hector's decline, when he knew it was Nacho?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

Does anyone else remember when Walt and Jesse kidnapped Jimmy/Saul in Breaking Bad and held him at gunpoint at the roadside? He was shouting, "No! No! It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!" He then tried to communicate with them in Spanish, possibly thinking they were part of the cartel.

I've been looking forward to finding out what he was talking about, and I'm now wondering if the revelation is soon to come. Did Saul think he was being blamed for Hector's decline, when he knew it was Nacho?

Spoiler

But how would he know about it? The only plausible way he would find out about it is through Mike. And why would Mike get him mixed-up in this situation? 

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Oh man, I didn't even realise that. Surely that has to be related to Nacho, even if it isn't to do with this current plot line. I'm not sure how many months / years we have between now and the start of BB?

I don't know how this pill-switch thing is going to end up for Nacho, but surely it will work? We know that Hector is done for in the near future.

Spoiler

I doubt they planned these things out. We have stories of how BB was written that would support that. (Mike was introduced because Odenkirk wasn't available for that episode, Jesse was supposed to die early on, etc.) However, it's clear that they went back through the little details in BB when writing BCS. Ken the stock broker is another good example. So all these looks back are just empty details they decided to build upon here. But it does make for a fun repeat viewing of BB. I'm actually doing that now

• Like 1

Spoiler

Oh, I'm sure originally it was just a throwaway line in BB but now that they can use this stuff to link the two series' it's great fun to see how they do it, and they seem to be going all-in on doing just that.

I agree that it enhances a re-watch of BB as well. I'm currently doing the same and have just started season 4.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 05:50, MDK said:

I think this is about the slowest burn to a series I have ever seen. The Wire had a slow burn and it was amazing. We sort of all know how it will turn out because of BB, but how are they making something this slow seem so enjoyable? 

Gilligan has said that they expected Jimmy to become Saul by the end of Season 1 but they fell in love with Jimmy so much (and Kim and everyone else) so much that they couldn't let Jimmy go just yet. The end of Season 1 is clearly the setup but thankfully they changed up and let us stay in a pre-Walter White world longer.

I feel like at some point there's gonna be a significant time jump, probably between this season and next I'd guess, cause I can't imagine it'll be that dramatically sustainable to string out this years suspension from practicing law with just a load of episodes of Jimmy trying to sell ads or scrape together money when ultimately the goal is Saul Goodman the lawyer.

My guess would be that after this season we'll jump to the end of the suspension.

I'm curious how much purely Saul story there is to tell, since the intent was to turn Jimmy into Saul much earlier but then they realized they had way more to explore pre-Saul then they'd previously thought.

While a jump seems highly possible, I could just as easily see them taking their time with it. The show is ultimately about him as a person, not necessarily him as a lawyer. There would be plenty of room for him to transform in the time he's not practicing law.

And for that matter, I could also see him finding a sleazy loophole to let him practice before the suspension is actually done. Maybe doing most of the work while someone else who's licensed is his avatar and technically the one practicing. Or perhaps he finds a way to start practicing as Saul Goodman while Jimmy McGill is still suspended.

The point being that Gilligan and Gould have taken some pretty unexpected turns down other paths before and taken more time than you'd think. The possibilities remain wide open.

On 5/25/2017 at 19:28, GoGo Yubari said:

My guess would be that after this season we'll jump to the end of the suspension.

I'm curious how much purely Saul story there is to tell, since the intent was to turn Jimmy into Saul much earlier but then they realized they had way more to explore pre-Saul then they'd previously thought.

I wonder if at some point (most likely the final few episodes) if we're going to get an epilogue to the whole universe and see what becomes of everyone. We keep checking in on Gene in Nebraska. Kim is from Kansas City, which isn't all that far away. I wonder maybe if at some Kim wanders into Cinnabon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

That scene in the restaurant had me shook. Thought Nacho was for sure gonna fuck up and get caught. 

Also, the scene with Jimmy, the "mug mealer" and their supervisor during community service? That was A+.

EDIT: Oh shit. Incoming fan theory, so spoilies, obvs:

Spoiler

The finale for this season is named "Lantern". In every season, there's been close-up shots of the lantern in Chuck's house, seemingly foreshadowing something - like maybe the house burning down because of his lantern. 

Maybe the finale will be Chuck literally dying in a fire? Holy shit.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Broken Cloudy said:

That scene in the restaurant had me shook. Thought Nacho was for sure gonna fuck up and get caught. 

Also, the scene with Jimmy, the "mug mealer" and their supervisor during community service? That was A+.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I've felt that something along those lines might happen ever since it was mentioned in an early episode about how all the fuel canisters in Chuck's house were ridiculously dangerous. There's also Jimmy's quote about Chuck dying alone in hospital a few episodes ago.

14 hours ago, Broken Cloudy said:

Hide contents

The finale for this season is named "Lantern". In every season, there's been close-up shots of the lantern in Chuck's house, seemingly foreshadowing something - like maybe the house burning down because of his lantern. 

Maybe the finale will be Chuck literally dying in a fire? Holy shit.

If I have to guess:

Spoiler

The blowback from what Jimmy did at the law office will set Chuck so off-kilter that yeah, something like that's going to happen. The awful, awful symmetry of the McGill brothers would be each of them dooming the other to what their dire forecasts of the other is (a corrupt, crooked lawyer who under no circumstances should be allowed to practice/a crazy man who will die alone), just as both were on the cusp of becoming something else.

• Like 2

Spoiler

That theory seems about right for me, something terrible happening to Chuck has been coming a long time.

By the time this show wraps, I'm fairly certain Chuck will be dead and Kim either dead, struck off or just completely gone from Jimmy's life.

Another enjoyable slow burn episode. What was going on with Mike in the first scene though? That passed me by.

Also, I did a double take when I saw Max Arciniega's name on the opening credit crawl. I've been re-watching Breaking Bad so was surprised to see the name of a character pop up on the cast, but a quick google tells me it's Krazy 8, and they must have just named Gus' Hermano (slash Novio?) after the actor who plays Krazy 8. Pretty cool.

Its been ages since I've seen Breaking Bad but (spoilers for Better Call Saul, just in case):

Spoiler

Is it mentioned in BB what happens to Chuck? I cannot remember.