Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sousa

Better Call Saul

Recommended Posts

Spoiler

Lots of good stuff in that episode. Seeing Jimmy frustrate Kevin was great because, well, watching ruthless one-percenters being knocked down a peg is cathartic.

On the other hand, it's sad to see how Jimmy treats Howard. It's interesting because Jimmy, the confident maverick with the self-cultivated sleazy reputation, contrasts so sharply with Howard's lower self-esteem concealed by his outwardly flashy exterior.

And Kim not only going further down the dark path, but actively daring her boss to call her out on it, is another step towards heartbreak. What this show does so well is its slow burn towards catastrophe, all without feeling like the kind of filler so many other shows fall into.

"DEDICADO A MAX" was genuinely quite touching. It epitomises what I enjoy about Gus. It speaks to the complexity of his character that he's a merciless operator fixated on both business efficiency and bitter vengeance, yet he also hasn't forgotten about the man he loved. "I am what I am" sums it up perfectly. Unlike Walt, he doesn't try to rationalise his actions to himself. He knows what he's doing and why he's doing it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

What a ride that was. I think drama is at its best when you're not sure who to root for, and that was very much the case here.

A marriage between Kim and Jimmy was always likely, and we know it'll end before Jimmy's first appearance in Breaking Bad. Jimmy mentions to Walt that "I caught my second wife screwing my stepdad". I have to wonder if that's actually going to happen or if it's a story Jimmy created to absolve himself of any blame. I think the latter is more likely, but who knows? It'll certainly be interesting if a new character turns up.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

What a ride that was. I think drama is at its best when you're not sure who to root for, and that was very much the case here.

A marriage between Kim and Jimmy was always likely, and we know it'll end before Jimmy's first appearance in Breaking Bad. Jimmy mentions to Walt that "I caught my second wife screwing my stepdad". I have to wonder if that's actually going to happen or if it's a story Jimmy created to absolve himself of any blame. I think the latter is more likely, but who knows? It'll certainly be interesting if a new character turns up.

 

I think more than likely it has to do with..

Spoiler

the fact that one can't legally testify against their spouse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I think more than likely it has to do with..

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Spoiler

I imagine you're right, but I'm speculating on how the marriage will eventually end. My guess has been that Kim will end up in trouble and get disbarred, probably because of the underhanded methods Jimmy has been encouraging. It would be particularly heartbreaking to see Kim, a person who always used to do things by the books (to the extent that she was prepared to walk three miles home in the dark with a cello on her back rather than get in a car with her drunk mother), getting taken down while Jimmy continues to enjoy success by breaking the rules.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 14:38, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

What a ride that was. I think drama is at its best when you're not sure who to root for, and that was very much the case here.

A marriage between Kim and Jimmy was always likely, and we know it'll end before Jimmy's first appearance in Breaking Bad. Jimmy mentions to Walt that "I caught my second wife screwing my stepdad". I have to wonder if that's actually going to happen or if it's a story Jimmy created to absolve himself of any blame. I think the latter is more likely, but who knows? It'll certainly be interesting if a new character turns up.

 

Spoiler

When he said that line in Breaking Bad Walter had just tried to attack Ted after learning that Skyler had cheated on him with Ted. I think he was just trying to be sympathetic (in his typical sleazy way) to calm Walt down. If there was a step-dad in the picture I think either Chuck or Jimmy would've mentioned him at some point in the past. And in the flashback when their mother died there was no one else present. Also if there was a step-dad about the same age as their mom he would be in his 70s or 80s now. I just can't see that Kim would jump into bed with an octogenarian or septuagenarian. 

 

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus that episode made me anxious. Jesus.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

And so the inevitable descent into misery draws ever closer.

Contrast the attitudes of Mike and Jimmy and it's an interesting comparison. Mike, stating that he's "accepted the cards he's been dealt", has realised that, for better and worse, he's destined to spend the rest of his days dealing in the dangerous underbelly of criminal society. He doesn't relish the thought, but he accepts it. Jimmy, however, despite what he said to Kim in bed, has fully embraced the prospect of moving from underhanded rule-bending to full-on crime, along with all the money it involves. His tirade with Howard at the end of the episode was an "I am the one who knocks"-esque outburst of a man trying to impress and intimidate someone he considers to be a doubter.

I really, really hoped that this show would shed more light on Gus' true identity, and this episode gave the greatest hint yet that we will. Talking with Peter (who you might remember as the Madrigal higher-up who killed himself before the police could question him about Gus' death in Breaking Bad) about having "our backs to the wall in Santiago" is something that surely has to be expanded on in some way or other.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Ah shit.
 

  Hide contents

Kim's so fucking dead, isn't she?

 

Pretty much. I was always wondering how they would get round to taking her out of the picture and yeah, that looked like the start of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This show is so fucking good, good lord. Also, I appreciate their commitment to

Spoiler

Lalo Salamanca just being on some parkour shit.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I take it that I'm the only one who was underwhelmed by the last batch of episodes? The people involved in making the show have hyped up the final episodes of this season so much on social media. I was expecting Breaking Bad season 5 levels of escalation. And while these last few episodes have been really good nothing big has happened yet. 

Edited by Hellraiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, there can't possibly be Breaking Bad season 5 levels of escalation in terms of, like... major character deaths or public status quo because that's not the level of stakes of this show and the circles this show moves in are a) more in the daylight and b) heavily dealing with the building of an infrastructure that Walter White will singlehandedly destroy five years later. Relative to what the actual stakes of this show are, the last few episodes are massive.

Spoiler

BCS has always basically been two shows; the law side, where the primary supporting cast was Kim, Chuck, and Howard, and the crime side, where the primary supporting cast was Mike, Nacho, Hector and later Gus and now Lalo. These last few episodes have been the point where those two shows intersect and become one; Jimmy's last chance at getting off the road he's on -- taking Howard's offer and going back to HHM -- is gone, Mesa Verde is gone, and Kim's now inextricably linked to the cartel plot. For what this show is and has always been, that's equivalent to what Breaking Bad did because in both cases, it's pretty much definitively putting them into the home stretch.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

That was such a tense ending. I'm guessing that the shot of Lalo through Mike's gun scope, with Kim stepping into the crosshairs, was further foreshadowing of Kim's fate as collateral damage to Jimmy's actions over this series. Kim standing up to Lalo and speaking hard truths was something I wasn't expecting, but it was delivered brilliantly, although it's likely to only be a fleeting victory now that she's known to the cartel.

These last few episodes have really driven home the reasons why Mike is such an interesting character. Calling him a good guy would be inaccurate because he's a key figure in a crime syndicate, but he also tries to avoid "needless" damage as much as possible. We got at least a couple of examples of this during the latest episode, with his attempts to calm Jimmy down and urge him off the path he's travelling, and also with his request for Nacho to be released from his duties to a pragmatic, yet ruthless Gus. If anything, Mike's an enabler of evil, which doesn't make him innocent by any means, but he's arguably the embodiment of duty struggling against compassion.

What I'm wondering most is what the next (and final) series has in store. I'm fully expecting something big to happen with Kim during the next episode, but what will happen in the last ten episodes? I imagine Nacho will be killed off at some stage, but it's Lalo's fate that's more up in the air. In Saul Goodman's first episode of Breaking Bad, when Walt and Jesse kidnap him and hold him at gunpoint, he asks if Lalo sent them. Now, we know that Lalo must be dead by the end of Breaking Bad Series 4 because Gus informs Hector that he's the last living member of the Salamanca family. Saul, however, either thinks Lalo is still alive during Series 2 or otherwise believes that an order he gave what must have been months previously was being carried out to him. Saul can't have been hard to find, so it seems odd that Lalo's men would be waiting so long to take him out. Maybe Lalo dies during the last series of Better Call Saul and Jimmy doesn't find out because I really can't see the writers killing Lalo off-screen during the later events of Breaking Bad.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

That was such a tense ending. I'm guessing that the shot of Lalo through Mike's gun scope, with Kim stepping into the crosshairs, was further foreshadowing of Kim's fate as collateral damage to Jimmy's actions over this series. Kim standing up to Lalo and speaking hard truths was something I wasn't expecting, but it was delivered brilliantly, although it's likely to only be a fleeting victory now that she's known to the cartel.

These last few episodes have really driven home the reasons why Mike is such an interesting character. Calling him a good guy would be inaccurate because he's a key figure in a crime syndicate, but he also tries to avoid "needless" damage as much as possible. We got at least a couple of examples of this during the latest episode, with his attempts to calm Jimmy down and urge him off the path he's travelling, and also with his request for Nacho to be released from his duties to a pragmatic, yet ruthless Gus. If anything, Mike's an enabler of evil, which doesn't make him innocent by any means, but he's arguably the embodiment of duty struggling against compassion.

What I'm wondering most is what the next (and final) series has in store. I'm fully expecting something big to happen with Kim during the next episode, but what will happen in the last ten episodes? I imagine Nacho will be killed off at some stage, but it's Lalo's fate that's more up in the air. In Saul Goodman's first episode of Breaking Bad, when Walt and Jesse kidnap him and hold him at gunpoint, he asks if Lalo sent them. Now, we know that Lalo must be dead by the end of Breaking Bad Series 4 because Gus informs Hector that he's the last living member of the Salamanca family. Saul, however, either thinks Lalo is still alive during Series 2 or otherwise believes that an order he gave what must have been months previously was being carried out to him. Saul can't have been hard to find, so it seems odd that Lalo's men would be waiting so long to take him out. Maybe Lalo dies during the last series of Better Call Saul and Jimmy doesn't find out because I really can't see the writers killing Lalo off-screen during the later events of Breaking Bad.

 

Spoiler

I'm assuming the final season is going to be all over the place to be honest. I would guess we're going to get pre, during, and post-Breaking Bad episodes and moments. I can't honestly see how they can tie up everything properly without it, if tying it all up is indeed their intent.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You know, there's still the matter of how Jimmy/Saul found out about the vacuum repair guy, and considering this is about a year down the road, it wouldn't surprise me if either Kim or Nacho made use of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This show is utterly fantastic. It may have surpassed Breaking Bad for me at this point we're at now. A big part of that is the sheer power of the acting from Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks and Rhea Seehorn.

Spoiler

 

I think - with a couple of tweaks - you could have Bagman/Bad Choice Road as a film contained to itself. An incredible pair of episodes and if the season finale matches it, we are in for a treat.

I have no clue how they are going to resolve this story and these characters but I'm very much looking forward to seeing how they do it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

This show is so fucking good, good lord. Also, I appreciate their commitment to

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Apparently Tony Dalton wanted to do his own stunts because he was on some Mexican Jackass style show back when he was younger!

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some comments after the finale.

Spoiler

That sets up the finale with Lalo as the big bad of the last season. It makes sense that he didn't die here because based on Breaking Bad, Saul thinks Lalo is still alive.

I didn't see Kim breaking bad as a possibility, even when this season started. It makes me quite sad but it has been really well done. We all knew this was the story of how Jimmy becomes Saul, but I don't think most of suspected it would also get a Kim transformation. Will be interesting to see how her arc ends in BCS, whether she is dead, alive but not around, or as I've seen some suggest, actually higher up in the cartel world during the Breaking Bad timeline.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In non-spoiler notes, I love how well Nacho has slotted into the Breaking Bad universe. He feels so much part of the furniture that I genuinely forgot he wasn't actually in Breaking Bad at all bar a passing reference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, now the waiting game begins again. I doubt that this show will be back by early 2021 like they had initially planned. Let's hope that Jonathan Banks and Mark Margolis make it through this pandemic unscathed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not so much a twist per say but seeing Kim break bad so to speak has given the show a whole new layer. I mean given her character’s background it makes so much sense . Rewatching the entire show knowing she’s gonna turn too would be a trip. 


 

Like, all along I kinda felt that Jimmy might become Saul because something bad happened to Kim and now it might seem Jimmy becomes Saul because Kim herself has decided to embrace the dark side. Very cool stuff and I honestly want to see Rhea Seehorne explode after this because she has given us an acting masterpiece over the last few seasons. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Its a testament to the amazing writing that we went into this season terrified for Kim, and came out the other end terrified of Kim. Her doing the finger guns to a horrified Jimmy is such a good callback.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. To learn more, see our Privacy Policy