Better Call Saul

Sousa

So who else here thinks that Kim will become addicted to painkillers next season and that this will play a role in her and Saul's break-up? I don't think her telling Saul to "the answer is always the good stuff" (as an answert to Saul's question about what kind of painkillers he should get her from the pharmacy) was just a throwaway line. I think they put that line in there for a reason.

In my happy narrative, Kim gets a better job out of state and moves away and that frees Jimmy up to become Saul. In what I'm afraid will happen, Kim ODs on painkillers or something else that Jimmy got her into, dies, and the last of Jimmy's moral compasses being gone, he "evolves" into Saul. 

• 5 months later...
6 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

I'm not sure what to make of the final scene, which is probably the idea. Was Howard trying to get some sort of confession out of Jimmy, who was wise to it, or was Howard genuinely distraught and Jimmy as cold as he came across?

Spoiler

I think Howard was looking for some empathy or reassurance. I don't think he was acting suspicious. I genuinely think he's distraught.

Episode was slow but it needed to be. It framed everything nicely and shit is going to hit the fan very quickly I feel.

6 hours ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

I'm not sure what to make of the final scene, which is probably the idea. Was Howard trying to get some sort of confession out of Jimmy, who was wise to it, or was Howard genuinely distraught and Jimmy as cold as he came across?

Spoiler

He genuinely felt guilty and felt like it was all his fault. The twist with Howard is that there is no twist, per se. By and large with him, what you see is what you get, and that contrasts with nearly every other main character give or take Kim because everyone else has a dark side, or a scheme/scam they're running.

With Jimmy, this is probably the start of him actually doing what Chuck told him to do in their last meeting and not feeling guilty about all the collateral damage he leaves in his wake. I wouldn't be surprised if when the series ends that scene is the real deciding moment of where Jimmy McGill starts to give way to Saul Goodman.

• 2 weeks later...

Gale 

:crying: Always such a nice guy, and just played so endearingly.

I really liked the opening, grim as it was. Between that and the ending of last weeks episode, this show at times feels like it's moving closer to being more akin to Breaking Bad and less of the kind of madcap stuff of Jimmy fucking about with the two skater dudes at the start of the first season. I'm really enjoyed it.

Spoiler

This fourth series feels as though it's establishing itself as being more about the side characters, and I'm OK with that. Even though we've seen Jimmy and Mike going about their business, it feels as though we're seeing the major development going on in the stories of Kim and Nacho.

We can see Kim slowly becoming more disillusioned with the things she's become involved in, both in terms of the impact of Chuck's trial and the increasingly corporate expansions of her clients' business, and I can see something coming to a head over the next few episodes.

With Nacho, we're obviously seeing the fallout of Gus' ambush, and the price he had to pay for it. Presumably, Gus will come to know that Nacho was behind Hector's stroke, and I can see him using this as further leverage against a man already caught in the middle of two factions.

What I'm most curious about is Saul's line from Breaking Bad, during his first episode. When Jesse and Walt had him blindfolded and at gunpoint by the side of the road, he shouted, "It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!"

It would be unlikely, of course, that the writers planned this all those years ago, but I'm definitely expecting something to come of that. That would have to mean that Jimmy and Nacho become acquainted at some stage, which would possibly signal a combination of Jimmy's further descent into the criminal world and Nacho's need to keep himself out of further trouble.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:
  Hide contents

This fourth series feels as though it's establishing itself as being more about the side characters, and I'm OK with that. Even though we've seen Jimmy and Mike going about their business, it feels as though we're seeing the major development going on in the stories of Kim and Nacho.

We can see Kim slowly becoming more disillusioned with the things she's become involved in, both in terms of the impact of Chuck's trial and the increasingly corporate expansions of her clients' business, and I can see something coming to a head over the next few episodes.

With Nacho, we're obviously seeing the fallout of Gus' ambush, and the price he had to pay for it. Presumably, Gus will come to know that Nacho was behind Hector's stroke, and I can see him using this as further leverage against a man already caught in the middle of two factions.

What I'm most curious about is Saul's line from Breaking Bad, during his first episode. When Jesse and Walt had him blindfolded and at gunpoint by the side of the road, he shouted, "It wasn't me! It was Ignacio! He's the one!"

It would be unlikely, of course, that the writers planned this all those years ago, but I'm definitely expecting something to come of that. That would have to mean that Jimmy and Nacho become acquainted at some stage, which would possibly signal a combination of Jimmy's further descent into the criminal world and Nacho's need to keep himself out of further trouble.

Just on one thing:

Spoiler

Doesn't Gus already know Nacho did Hector? Or have I misunderstood when he said "I know what you did" in last week's parking lot scene?

14 minutes ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Just on one thing:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

You're probably right. Either way, Nacho's now in one heck of a bind. Given Gus' network of information, he's likely to find out that Nacho did what he did to get the Salamancas away from his father, and that gives him extra blackmailing power. I don't see Nacho surviving until the end, and I think his father might go before then too.