RIP Lemmy

Gazz

7 hours ago, Skummy said:

Something in that article reminded me of how rock and roll Lemmy was. It was his fanbase, his fanbase wasn't strictly metalheads, or punk, or rockabilly dudes, or dudes into mainstream rock, or guys into underground rock. It seemed like Motorhead more than any band appealed to all fans of rock. The Ramones don't appeal to metalheads, and Metallica doesn't appeal to punks (just a generalization) in the way Motorhead appeals to both sides of the fence.

Lemmy's peers in rock and roll weren't just one genre, it was literally just anybody that was in so way a rock act. That's even more bad ass than switching from whiskey to vodka for health reasons.

There's something beautiful about the fact that Head Cat were supposed to play his birthday party; Head Cat were, as much as Motorhead, what Lemmy was all about. It was Lemmy, on his days off, jamming with some friends playing straight Elvis, Little Richard and Buddy Holly covers. You can tell he never lost that love for rock and roll that kick-started him into his insane life in the first place.

And metalman, if we're posting incongruous, bizarre cover versions, I'll raise you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZrntE3vNe8

• Like 1

Well, it's for Lemmy.

Oh, and since we had mentioned Lemmy and rockabilly/rock and roll. One of my absolute favorite Motorhead songs is this one, Black Leather Jacket. It's a great fusion of Motorhead sound with some rockabilly style. The lyrics are pretty cool with call backs to lyrics from classic 50s rock, Motorhead songs, and I think even some Ramones thrown in for good measure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hollywood Vampires (Alice Cooper, Joe Perry & Johnny Depp band) did a tribute to Lemmy at the Grammys. 

Starts at about the 3:50 mark.

EDIT: Actually, here's a slightly lower quality version of just Ace of Spades.

• 2 months later...

I watched the Lemmy documentary today, the one released in 2010. It was fucking good, really fucking good. It's on Netflix is anybody is interested.

It sort of made me happy, sad, and re-affirmed why Lemmy and Motorhead are basically the top of my list of bands/influences. He was fucking rock and roll but also very good natured. The epitome of the brash rock and roll lifestyle, but also a humble gentleman. It made me miss him a lot and I've never met him, there just will never be another rock and roller quite like him. I mentioned how he was loved by all forms of rock and rollers, the punks, metalheads, rockabilly dudes, grunge rockers, and it shows when you see guys like James Hetfield, Henry Rollins, Scott Ian, Slim Jim Phantom, Captain Sensible, and Jim Heath all talking about how much they love him, his music, and just how cool of a dude he is.

Yeah, Motorhead was the greatest rock and roll band ever. Lemmy was the greatest rock and roller ever.

So they're going to release a live album of one of the last shows they played. I watched some of the preview clips. Lemmy looks and sounds terrible. I have a lot of respect for him for doing all these tours for his fans despite his deteriorating health. If anything this live album will be a testament to Lemmy's dedication to give his fans a good show no matter what. But do they really have to release that officially? Isn't there some old show from the 70s or 80s with Lemmy in his prime they could release instead?

The German postal service Deutsche Post in cooperation with the biggest German tabloid news paper Bild will honor Lemmy with an official set of German postage stamps that can be purchaed through the website of Bild for 10€. One set will contain 10 stamps depicting 10 Lemmy motifs in total. These stamps are limited to 7777 sets and will only be sold from May 17th and June 17th.