Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Random Music Thoughts

69 posts in this topic

I forgot how bloody lovely Savage Garden were. Affirmation is a first class album.

1 person likes this

It's surprising how many of the random musicians on twitter that follow me are actually decent.

Generation Terrorists is a pretty good album but would be so much better if the Manics just cut the filler, made it a tighter album and clocked in around forty five minutes. It'd probably compete with The Holy Bible as my favourite Manics album then.

2 people like this

I'm surprised by how much of my musical library is made up of music I liked once but now really can't be bothered listening to. I miss the feeling of being absolutely in love with music that you only get from the rush of hormones as a teenager.

On 12/01/2016 at 23:25, Gorka said:

Generation Terrorists is a pretty good album but would be so much better if the Manics just cut the filler, made it a tighter album and clocked in around forty five minutes. It'd probably compete with The Holy Bible as my favourite Manics album then.

I'd keep everything up to Little Baby Nothing, put in Stay Beautiful and Condemned to Rock 'n Roll and maybe Methadone Pretty at the end. Then you have a supreme album.

2 people like this

I thought their had been one but assumed I had imagined it since it wasn't on the first page and yet the music forum moves so slowly >_>

1 person likes this

So, Rush.

I really don't like them.

However, I love the guitar work in the song Working Man. It's really fucking bad ass. Shame Geddy Lee ruins it. I wonder if Rush is a band I could like if not for Geddy Lee. Did Rush ever do a side project where it was Rush without Geddy Lee? Probably not. Oh well.

Something I found out while looking at the wiki article for NC music

".Arthur Smith is the most notable North Carolina musician/entertainer who had the first nationally syndicated television program which featured country music. Smith composed "Guitar Boogie", the all time best selling guitar instrumental, and "Dueling Banjos"

That certainly wasn't what I was hoping to find.

Bumping this thread to save starting a new one.

Had an interesting discussion in work regarding festival headliners (since Reading are announcing their first for next year this week), which developed into a discussion regarding the size of the current headliner pool and who the greatest headliner of all time is.

It's completely subjective discussion, of course, but part of me wants to make a list and score it and actually work it out in an arbitrary way :P

But yeah, whilst I do that to distract myself, who do you think is the best headliner of all time?

For me, having watched some of their headline shows on Youtube and the like, I'd say Iron Maiden. Limiting it to bands I've personally seen headline, Foo Fighters were far and away the best.

Lionel Richie at Glastonbury the other year. No joke. 

I've heard a lot of people say his set was incredible but I haven't watched it.

Also, he didn't headline, so, disqualified <_<

Definitely worth a watch, it was awesome. Also I didn't know he wasn't a headliner, oops! Thinking about it, he's not actually the best co-headliner I've seen. That bizarrely, was probably Macklemore and Ryan Lewis at Reading a couple years back. 

Ritchie played fourth down and Macklemore subbed, not co-headlined.

You're rubbish at this ffs <_<

I hate how long it takes CD's to arrive sometimes.....I wish internet was better here, so I could listen to music online. <_<

Where do you live?

I kind of want to move from Google Play Music to Spotify so I can start doing some EWB shared community playlists, but a) I don't already have nor have a desire to have a Facebook account required to use it, and b) AFAIK the storage for your own custom music isn't nearly large enough for my collection of music that isn't already on Spotify. So lame.

You need Facebook for spotify?? 

Apparently so. I tried signing in with my e-mail address and cause it is connected to a now deactivated FB account it wouldn't let me use it, and I ain't creating a new e-mail nor going back to the shit show that is Facebook just for Spotify. GPM is fine anyway, I just liked the idea of shared EWB playlists so we could explore new music together in a cool way.

Been listening to a lot of Billy Talent lately for a bit of catharsis. Specifically probably my most played song ever besides perhaps BCR's "Elevator".

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Apparently so. I tried signing in with my e-mail address and cause it is connected to a now deactivated FB account it wouldn't let me use it, and I ain't creating a new e-mail nor going back to the shit show that is Facebook just for Spotify. GPM is fine anyway, I just liked the idea of shared EWB playlists so we could explore new music together in a cool way.

I love that idea also. That's weird about facebook because I can't remember linking the two ever. 

Pretty sure they've been optionally linked for a while. It could just be that when I first signed up for the trial years ago that I signed in via FB for convenience, and now it just won't let me use that e-mail again without signing in via FB.

Like I say, too much malarkey for me to bother.

Fire off a message to their team and see if you can get it un-linked that way.

I switch between the two quite a bit, but ultimately I think that Spotify really beats out GPM in terms of usability. There's just one thing that really bothers me and that is how Google Play Music allows you to edit the music tags. It really bugs me that Spotify puts up whatever they're sent in terms of tagging data and refuses to change any mistakes. Sometimes albums got uploaded with producers next to the band name, sometimes you have an ugly (Remastered) line next to the album title or others you have songs mislabeled ('You Told The Drunks I Knew Karate' is 'You Told The Drunls I Knew Karate' which makes Last.fm integration pointless).

I love the generated playlists and the community aspect of it.

Can't you reactivate your FB, sign in to Spotify, keep yourself logged in, then deactivate FB again. That might work? Unless you've completely deleted your FB, rather than deactivating. 

Eh, it's all too much effort for something I care too little about to be honest. Like I say, GPM is fine and has more options I want/need anyway, it was just that one feature that sounded like it could be cool as a social feature for EWB.