Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Random Music Thoughts

69 posts in this topic

The new one hasn't hit me as hard as Ain't It Fun did.

Shit, now that's what I'm listening to.

Hey it's Hard Times if it were made a few years ago.

Man, 2002/2003 Tim Armstrong was on a tear between The Transplants debut album and "Indestructible" with Rancid. Great pair of albums I had totally forgotten about.

I think very highly of the Jesus Lizard.

I always watch the Fine Bros react music videos and play along. I do so, so good at 80s and 90s ones and I did well on the one 70s one I saw but man I am so terrible at the modern music ones with adults. Like to the point I feel like they have to be weighted with less popular music.

Sign of the Times is one of those songs that is going to make Top 40 "forever" playlists and there isn't anything that we can do about it.

A song I wish I could send  back in time to my teenage self .

I'm going to do NY own list on this. I need to listen to the latest album though so that's what I'll be listening to today.

Posted (edited)

Have y'all seen spotify.me? You login with your Spotify account and it can tell you things like your top artist, top track, your most active listening hours and how many minutes you've listened to Spotify in the past month or so. It's kind of neat. The info's used for brand marketing, but it's still neat to go through. My top artist is Johnny Cash (not surprised) but my top track is "Falling While Rising" by Crowbar, off their latest album. I didn't think I listened to that song that much but apparently so!

And my tracks are overall "positive", 51% danceable and 49% energetic. Huh.

One of the new streaming habits we’re measuring is listeners’ music Diversity. As one component of Diversity, we look at genre. 33% of your favorite artists are within your most-listened to genre. Did you know there are over 1,500 genres available on Spotify? We might call users like you Eclectics—bouncing around from genre to genre, open to hearing anything.

I "stream like a partier (or listen to a lot of party playlists)" and want good vibes only. 

Not wrong..

Edited by Broken Cloyd

Apparently 18% of the content I've streamed is a genre called "Escape Room."  I've never even done one of those, much less, I dunno, listened to the soundtrack to one.

But it does know I like to get turnt, so heyyy I guess it's not all wrong.

Also, looking at this, it seems like its only based on really recent data.  Like, the only date mentioned for any of the stats are July 5, so it seems like its based on just the past week.  Also, some of the genres (besides Escape Room) are kind of silly.  Like, it says that I listen to 34% rap, 26% "pop rap," 24% hip hop, 18% underground hip hop, and finally 16% folk punk.  That's 118% right there, and there's plenty of stuff I listen to that doesn't apply to any of that.

Oh, but all the data can't be super recent, because it thinks my favorite artist is Sufjan Stevens.  When Carrie and Lowell first came out, I fell asleep to it pretty much every day, but haven't really listened to it lately.

I dunno, its interesting and all but I don't know how good of a job it did telling me what I like.

1 person likes this

http://obscurifymusic.com/ tells you your all-time top 50 most listened to bands and tracks. I opened my account in 2014 from what I can gather because stuff released that year factors in quite heavily for some reason.

MY TOP TEN BANDS: 1. Manic Street Preachers; 2. Foo Fighters; 3. Weezer; 4. Muse; 5. Feeder; 6. REM; 7. Smashing Pumpkins; 8. Deftones; 9. Metallica; Red Hot Chili Peppers

TOP TEN TRACKS: 1. 'Tiberius' by Smashing Pumpkins; 2. 'Walk Me To The Bridge' by Manics; 3. 'Something From Nothing' by Foo Fighters; 4. 'Futurology' by Manics; 5. 'Feast and the Famine' by Foo Fighters; 6. 'Outside' by Foo Fighters; 7. 'Out of the Black' by Royal Blood; 8. 'Universe of Life' by Feeder; 9. 'Monuments' by Smashing Pumpkins; 10. 'Europa Geht Durch Mich' by Manics..... Literally every track bar #8 was from a 2014 album.

1 person likes this

Mine was June 11th - today, so I think it takes data from the last month and uses that. I've been listening to a lot of pop and teen pop ( >_> ) stations in the past month, so that's probably why mine skews towards "parties" and "good vibes".

okay so the thing that GA relayed says that Kool AD, Open Mike Eagle, and Swet Shop Boys are listed under the genre "escape room," the fuck does that even meeeeean?

RTJ and Danny Brown are listed under that too. I think it's just what people have listed it as, but I have no idea what it means. Is it music they listen to while doing escape rooms? Who knows?

Also in the past 6 weeks one of my top 8 artists is a "Mexican regional pop" band >_> 

And the Arctic Monkeys are an all-time #1 favorite.. in Brazil. 

Just saw that cool spotify thing Cloudy posted, so I had to look.

My top artist is 16 Horsepower, which isn't shocking because I've been playing them steadily since I found out about them.

Here is an interesting one...my top track is "When can I see you again?" from the Wreck it Ralph Soundtrack. Not surprised again as I play a lot of music for my kids and that is on their playlist.

94% of my tracks are energetic. 42% of my music is punk or punk related with the top five genres being Punk, Alternative Rock, Hardcore Punk, Crossover Thrash, Skate Punk, and Garage Rock. Oh wait, that is six. Curious what music I listen to falls under Alternative Rock, as I don't listen to a lot of the stuff people would consider "Alternative Rock" (ya know, the usual stuff you'd hear in the 90s and say "Hey, alternative!").

It also says I'm high energy and rarely listen to chill tracks, and must be a fitness enthusiast (I wish).

Mine makes no sense because I am on and off Spotify so much but eh - Last.fm has been something I've used since 2011 so I'm good in this sense for the most part.

Why does Patent Pending ring such a bell? Looking at their YouTube videos, I don't recognize any of it, but I know for a fact it's a band I discovered YEARS ago on EWB. Thanks, @=BK=, it's going to drive me crazy until I discover why that band name is so familiar.

Screenshot_2017-07-17-15-52-15.png

Screenshot_2017-07-17-15-51-27.png

Huh.

OK, according to both these Spotify things my most listened song is 'Ain't it fun'. I want to call BS because it feels like it's been two weeks since I last heard it and there's no way I've played it enough before hand to make that up but if they both have it I guess I can't argue it. 

I still feel like I've played "Cherry Flowers and Bedroom songs", "Hey Mario" and "Game of Love" more.