Random Music Thoughts

Benji

Watching/listening to this back to back with the new video/song is weird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always watch the Fine Bros react music videos and play along. I do so, so good at 80s and 90s ones and I did well on the one 70s one I saw but man I am so terrible at the modern music ones with adults. Like to the point I feel like they have to be weighted with less popular music.

• 2 weeks later...

A song I wish I could send  back in time to my teenage self .

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to do NY own list on this. I need to listen to the latest album though so that's what I'll be listening to today.

• 3 weeks later...

Have y'all seen spotify.me? You login with your Spotify account and it can tell you things like your top artist, top track, your most active listening hours and how many minutes you've listened to Spotify in the past month or so. It's kind of neat. The info's used for brand marketing, but it's still neat to go through. My top artist is Johnny Cash (not surprised) but my top track is "Falling While Rising" by Crowbar, off their latest album. I didn't think I listened to that song that much but apparently so!

And my tracks are overall "positive", 51% danceable and 49% energetic. Huh.

One of the new streaming habits we’re measuring is listeners’ music Diversity. As one component of Diversity, we look at genre. 33% of your favorite artists are within your most-listened to genre. Did you know there are over 1,500 genres available on Spotify? We might call users like you Eclectics—bouncing around from genre to genre, open to hearing anything.

I "stream like a partier (or listen to a lot of party playlists)" and want good vibes only. 

Not wrong..

Edited by Broken Cloyd

Apparently 18% of the content I've streamed is a genre called "Escape Room."  I've never even done one of those, much less, I dunno, listened to the soundtrack to one.

But it does know I like to get turnt, so heyyy I guess it's not all wrong.

Also, looking at this, it seems like its only based on really recent data.  Like, the only date mentioned for any of the stats are July 5, so it seems like its based on just the past week.  Also, some of the genres (besides Escape Room) are kind of silly.  Like, it says that I listen to 34% rap, 26% "pop rap," 24% hip hop, 18% underground hip hop, and finally 16% folk punk.  That's 118% right there, and there's plenty of stuff I listen to that doesn't apply to any of that.

Oh, but all the data can't be super recent, because it thinks my favorite artist is Sufjan Stevens.  When Carrie and Lowell first came out, I fell asleep to it pretty much every day, but haven't really listened to it lately.

I dunno, its interesting and all but I don't know how good of a job it did telling me what I like.

• Like 1