Random Music Thoughts

Benji

On 9/11/2017 at 20:07, Chuck Tingle said:

I want a My Chemical Romance reunion tour. Me of ten years ago hates me of the present for that statement.

Those first two albums (especially the first) are fucking great!  Can't fuck with anything beyond that though.  But, shit, I still love Bullets and put it on pretty regularly.

Totally agree on that Kanye album. It went from being one of my least favorite (upon first hear) to one of my favorites of all-time. Monster and Runaway are still total bangers.

Even the weaker songs, like Hell of a Life and Blame Game, are still really fuckin' good. That album does have my favorite track-after-track opening, though (Dark Fantasy > Gorgeous). This was peak Kanye, with him at his most creative in his entire career. Going back and listening to that album and with the advantage of hindsight, you can totally see where he was going in the next few years with "Yeezus"and "Life of Pablo" too.

I honestly probably should have put "Live at Sin-é" by Jeff Buckley way higher - maybe one of the best live albums ever.

For the last little bit I've been listening to music while I worked on graphics and I tracked and wrote down what I listened to. I had my Spotify saved songs on shuffle. I skipped songs I didn't want to listen to at the moment like I normally would. Nothing was skipped for the sake of the list itself.

1.The Game of Love by Santana and Michelle Branch
2.Red Stars by The Birthday Massacre
3.Bosses Daughter by Pop Evil
4.Lonati-Sonata for Violin and Basso Continuo by Emilie Autumn
5.Vitaii - Chaconne by Emilie Autumn
6.I'll be watching You by The Police
7.When your heart stops beating by +44
8.Still Swingin' by Papa Roach
9.Sweettalk by New Skin
10.More Human Than Human by White Zombie
11.Make a Move by Icon For Hire
12.Gravity-Live at the Nokia Theater by John Mayer
13.Bach - Allegro by Emilie Autumn
14.Out Here All Night by Damone
15.Life is a Bullet by Papa Roach
16.Use Your Love by Katy Perry
17.The Dope Show by Marilyn Manson
18John Cougar John Deere John 3:16 by Dave Days
19.Road Trip by Ninja Sex Party
20.The Witch by Rosetta Stone
21.Harder Than a Coffin Nail by Papa Roach
22.Half of my Heart by John Mayer
23.Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard
24.Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
25.I like it Heavy by Halestorm feat. Eric Church
26.She's So Mean by Matchbox 20
27.Cum on Feel the Noize by Quiet Riot
28.Why Don't You & I by Santana and Alex Band
29.Stupid Girl by Garbage
30.Round Here by Florida Georgia Line
31.Jessie's Girl by Rick Springfield
32.What If I Was Nothing by All That Remains
33.Harder to Breathe by Maroon 5
34.Dying Breed by Five Finger Death Punch
35.Why Georgia by John Mayer
36.Tangled Up In Me by Skye Sweetnam
37.Step Down by The Moxy
38.All You Wanted by Michele Branch
39.See You Again by Against The Current
40.10's by Pantera

Magazine are fucking brilliant - sit alongside Public Image Limited for me as the best of that post-punk period of the old punks figuring out where they go from here, and having the freedom to experiment outside of the old made up punk notion that they weren't allowed to admit to having tastes outside of fast, simple rock and roll.

And John Cooper Clarke is one of my absolute heroes. Biting wit, extraordinarily funny, great way with words, and utterly unpretentious. Love the man.

The War on Drugs' new album is fucking fantastic. Might be my favorite album of the year, across any genre. Adam Granduciel's voice is just so damn soothing. Slave Ambient from 2011 was also one of my favorite albums that year - I need to check out Lost in the Dream, I seem to have missed that one.

No surprise that he's really close to another one of my favorite artists - Kurt Vile. Which reminds me, I need to get ahold of the album he did with Courtney Barnett really soon.

Edited by tristy

On 9/26/2017 at 23:00, Hard BD said:

Man, is there anything more pretentious to read than a music album review? I tried reading a few, and they're so damn lame.

I enjoy Robert Christgau's music writing.