Random Music Thoughts

Benji

20 hours ago, Meacon said:

I love ELO. They're up there as one of my favorite bands ever. I wish they'd get a bit more credit. A lot of times when I even bring them up in conversations, people pretend they know who they are, or they only recognize one song. So underrated. 

They're pretty beloved in the UK, but yeah, definitely still under appreciated. "Don't Bring Me Down" is one of my absolute faves.

Country music is really strangely popular in Ireland, selling out huge venues that pop or rock music can't. I have no idea why.

Anyway, there's a guy called Nathan Carter who does a cover of the Old Crow Medicine Show song "Wagon Wheel":

His cover is sort of a staple of bad wedding DJs these days. Today I discovered that the song is actually originally by Bob Dylan, whose recording had a chorus, and a melody for verses, but no verse lyrics. He discarded the song, and Old Crow Medicine Show picked it up twenty-odd years later:

I love shit like this.

33 minutes ago, Bigal said:

Country music is really strangely popular in Ireland, selling out huge venues that pop or rock music can't. I have no idea why.

Anyway, there's a guy called Nathan Carter who does a cover of the Old Crow Medicine Show song "Wagon Wheel":

His cover is sort of a staple of bad wedding DJs these days. Today I discovered that the song is actually originally by Bob Dylan, whose recording had a chorus, and a melody for verses, but no verse lyrics. He discarded the song, and Old Crow Medicine Show picked it up twenty-odd years later:

I love shit like this.

Some country isn't too far off of Irish folk music, maybe that? A lot of the blue grass stuff I listen, while you wont mistake for Irish folk, but there are a lot of similarities in instruments used. And a love of drinking of course. 

• Like 1

If you're looking for some Halloween-ish  music today one of my favorite Youtubers put this together.

Update, it sucked....

Anyway, I don't think I like the blues that much. I mean, I do like some older stuff like Howlin Wolf and stuff in that vein, but I find the blues largely boring. 

And yes I know the blues blueprint is found in virtually every type of rock and roll. I don't know, maybe it's all the white guy blues dad rock that has put me off, but it's just eh. 

Oh, I do like Stevie Ray Vaughn, but mostly for how good his guitar playing was. He wasn't just a soloing wank type, but incorporated good rhythms in some of his work. Hard not to appreciate his style, it's like the guitar was a third arm for him.

Has anyone else noticed Spotify tracks not labeled correctly? I went to look up "That Don't Impress Me Much" by Shania Twain and there's two relevant tracks listed, a dance remix and the regular mix. The thing is they're both the same dance remix. I've noticed a similar thing with Michael Jackson songs where the original and the remastered are both actually the remastered versions.

I've only noticed bands of the same name being lumped together sometimes. 

Also, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats released their "Vol. 1" demo/album that up to this point only had like ten copies and was pretty much only on YouTube . I ordered a copy, should be here soon. It's my favorite work from them, though I like just about everything from them.

These two really great blogs I discovered a month ago have gotten me into some bands like Husker Du and Black Flag, but also reminded me of bands I used to love in high school like Thursday. Goddamn, "War All the Time" is such a great fucking album.

• Like 1

I forgot how much I loved Billy Childish. I was reminded in Benjis thread about artists you listen to with large varieties of different bands/work. 

All of his stuff is really good. It's easy enough to know it's Billy Childish, but his career has been a wonderful variety of punk, garage, 50s tribute act, and other oddities. I need to be listening to him more often, he is such an unsung hero in rock and roll. I listened to his shit so much in my early twenties, what happened? I don't know...

• Like 1

On 11/12/2017 at 08:17, tristy said:

These two really great blogs I discovered a month ago have gotten me into some bands like Husker Du and Black Flag, but also reminded me of bands I used to love in high school like Thursday. Goddamn, "War All the Time" is such a great fucking album.

War All The Time is fantastic. Top tier album.

Have I ever told you guys my Incubus Cheeseburger analogy? It's incredibly trite but I think it describes perfectly how I feel about Incubus. Incubus is a plain cheeseburger from McDonald's. That's not a bad thing. I like plain cheeseburgers, sometimes. But when I'm really hungry, I want a big burger. I want something with everything on it, with a lot of different textures and feels. I want a quarter pounder, or a Big Mac, or whatever.

Incubus isn't that. Incubus is a plain cheeseburger. It's enough, but it's not going to blow you away. I'm not going to be filled up by a single plain cheeseburger from McDonald's. 

In other words, Incubus has never been a band that's ever blown me away with any of their songs, but they're okay. If "Drive" comes on Spotify, I won't skip it. Or "Dig". But I'm not going to actively seek it out and crave it, it's just.. it's there. You know?

I'm half in the tank right now so probably i don't make any sense.

EDIT: As I'm listening to Spotify, I realize, 311 is another band like that. "Down" is a decent song. And "Amber". But nothing about 311 screams "WHAT A FANTASTIC FUCKING BAND I NEED MORE". They're just.. there.

This was it...

You know what I did to discover new music? I looked at roots and influences. It's not a big secret that I'm a big time fan of punk, and I got so invested in it that I started checking out who influenced the Ramones? Who was punk before punk (The Stooges, MC5, that sort of thing)? It lead me to rockabilly, surf, electronic, glam, garage, etc...I've told this story before so you know where I'm going.

Think of your main taste in music as a tree trunk. Start branching off from there and you can really start finding more music to enjoy. Going back to my example of getting into the MC5 and the Stooges, I find them, I like them, but who is similar to them as well? Blue Cheer? Great, what is this song Blue Cheer is covering? Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran? Better check him out. Ok, now I like Eddie Cochran, what are other good artists similar to him, from his era? Like I said, think of your music taste as a tree, and branch off. It worked for me.