Steven Universe Thread

Ruki

This show is so good that it needs it's own thread! Plus, we're in the middle of a Steven Bomb (5 new episodes in 5 days), so I figured this is the best time to start a thread for it. Plus, if this can help convince people to watch this magical show (it's only 10 minutes per episode!), then all the better! It's perfect for kids and adults, so @Sousa could watch this with his younglings!

So! Steven Bomb thus far:

The Answer

Spoiler

Woah! Gem backstory! We got to see how things work on homeworld (Diamonds in charge, Ruby's are soldiers, etc...), and how Ruby and Sapphire met! And apparently fusing with a gem that isn't your type was unknown and frowned upon? Damn. But it was really sweet. I love seeing those two together. And seeing an aggressive Pearl was interesting...and I'm a fan of her 'classic' outfit. 

Steven's Birthday

Spoiler

Almost right away I felt sad! Steven didn't feel like a human because he wasn't aging. And then I felt bad because Connie and him likely wouldn't be able to grow up together in the traditional sense. But! When he was using his magic to appear older + when things went back to normal was really cute and sweet. Plus, the beginning when Greg pulled out the defibrillator was fantastic.

And tonight...apparently they are going to the moon in an episode titled It Could've Been Great. 

I've also been rewatching the first season, and I enjoyed the earlier episodes much more the second time around, knowing what type of characters they really are. Got to watch Coach Steven last night, which is a fantastic episode with a great song and features Nikki Minaj as Sugilite. 

It Could've Been Great

Oh man...Homeworld was going to fuck the shit out of earth, and that's just not cool. And Peridot, I thought she might have been coming around...but apparently I was wrong. And the Crystal Gems REALLY love earth, apparently. They got so mad that Garnet was just about ready to poof Peridot. And now we know kind of the hierarchy of the gems, with the colored diamonds on top. I imagine we'll see Yellow Diamond by the end of this season...she even shows up in the extended opening theme.

A pretty good episode that got the plot moving forward. 

Message Received

Holy shit! Yellow Diamond. Here I thought we'd see her later in the series...not the very next episode. Although, I was expecting something a bit more badass or sinister...not an evil upper management type. Peridot was talking about how the diamonds were better than every other gem and...I just didn't see it. But I guess that is brain washing for you.

And speaking of Peridot...she's a crystal gem now! I've loved her ever since the episode she was locked in the bathroom. That was hilarious, I think.

This is just the cutest

Spoiler

We've learned a lot about Gem society in these few episodes. A monarchy in which the subjects are mass produced to serve a purpose. Makes me wonder if there are any unique Gems - we have only seen one Rose Quartz, one Sapphire and one Lapis Lazuli so far but chances are there are more. What happens if Steven and the Gems are forced to fight a different Rose?

You don't get much from the Yellow Diamond reveal but I guess that is why you have Peridot big her up for two episodes. We've only seen her talk, I wonder if she has any special powers or if it is all one big trick, telling Gems the diamonds are special so they serve without question?

In any case, a ship is now bound for Earth, but they don't know about the Gems so they are unlikely to be bringing an army. We saw how bad things got with just one Jasper though. 

6 hours ago, I'm A Walker said:

This is just the cutest

Hide contents

We've learned a lot about Gem society in these few episodes. A monarchy in which the subjects are mass produced to serve a purpose. Makes me wonder if there are any unique Gems - we have only seen one Rose Quartz, one Sapphire and one Lapis Lazuli so far but chances are there are more. What happens if Steven and the Gems are forced to fight a different Rose?

You don't get much from the Yellow Diamond reveal but I guess that is why you have Peridot big her up for two episodes. We've only seen her talk, I wonder if she has any special powers or if it is all one big trick, telling Gems the diamonds are special so they serve without question?

In any case, a ship is now bound for Earth, but they don't know about the Gems so they are unlikely to be bringing an army. We saw how bad things got with just one Jasper though. 

I think it might be all one big trick! Maybe they are just really tall, and thus, important. But good point on if they ever have to fight another Rose...I think they might fall apart.

Things did get very bad with just one Jasper. But remember...that Jasper is still around. She's just at the bottom of the ocean fused with Lapis. They won't be staying there forever, though.

Also! The final episode of the Steven Bomb...Log Date 7 15 2

So, Peridot is the best character, right? Everything about this episode makes me thing she is just a curious, jerkish cat. She even hisses! And knocks Greg off the roof like it's no big deal. But then all those interactions she had with Garnet? That was amazing. I was REALLY hoping they would fuse, just to see what would happen. Maybe next time...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished season one last night...

Spoiler

... the last few minutes with the silly singing battle just felt really out of kilter. It's like, you're fighting someone who wants to destroy/take over the world and kill all your friends, and you're singing a song and not even trying when fighting them, despite being taken out in a single hit in the last fight? I get why people might like it, but for me it just sucked all the drama out of the big fight.

Other than that it was great, and I loved the way the revelation of Ruby and Sapphire came about and why they are permanently fused into Garnet makes the whole Stevonnie fusion reaction all the more fucking adorable. Poor Lapis though :(

Also pretty sure that's not the end of Peridot as I feel like I've seen her in season two promo materials, but how she got out and where she goes from there should be interesting.