The Best MLS Season Ever Thread (2016 obviously)

GoGo Yubari

Sure am glad that gas leak year's over.

2016 season schedule here. SuperDraft next week, which basically nobody is paying attention to.

EDIT: Oh. The Sounders play Portland two weeks in a row with a midweek game in Houston. That's great. brb

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan Morris just made a bunch of people happy ... he's cut his "trial" with Werder Bremen short to return to America ... and his "future" in terms of soccer.  Yay, he's staying !!!!!

Clint Irwin has been traded to TFC (with Moor and Beiteshour they addressed their worst spot rather well) so the rumors of going after Howard might be substantiated.

The league is actually doing a good job of staying on top of the movement this year

• Like 1

Some people are delighted, some people seem to be infuriated that he's choosing MLS. Which, tbf, I do get if USMNT is your priority over everything else; Werder Bremen are good at developing players and all.

But hahahaha fuuuuuck that, this is so huge for the Sounders. He really ties the room together.

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Some people are delighted, some people seem to be infuriated that he's choosing MLS. Which, tbf, I do get if USMNT is your priority over everything else; Werder Bremen are good at developing players and all.

But hahahaha fuuuuuck that, this is so huge for the Sounders. He really ties the room together.

It's glorious on several fronts:

The fact that he's someone that people deem "above" the MLS is a great sign for college soccer and our youth in general. 

The fact that he's chosen to stay put rather than go to a relegation threatening Bundesliga outfit (one that as you mentioned is great at player development though) says quite a bit as well.

The fact that he's making his own choice rather than being pushed into something by the NT coach (and asst) is telling.

The fact that this highlights that there is a whole hell of a lot that goes into this kind of decision for a hot prospect should hopefully open some eyes.

The fact that WB's offer was either low enough, or what SEA has offered is high enough that WB's didn't blow it out of the water is good news.

How about the Chicago Fire? I admit to not watching them for a couple of years, but know they have been pretty bad for a while now. What is the deal with trading away the #1 pick? Seems kind of odd unless there just wasn't a true standout in this draft.

Vieira Interview from the MLS Media Tour has me taking another look at his appointment at NYCFC

^ great interview and write up.  I LOVE THIS bit from him: “I’ve been learning about TAM money and the salary cap and all this stuff,” Vieira told SI.com on Wednesday, the day he was formally introduced as NYCFC’s second head coach. “It makes it really exciting and I believe it’s one of the strengths of Major League Soccer. I quite like the fact that you have a limited amount off money and you have to build a team using all that stuff.”

NYCFC has signed Ronald Matarrita (RB Costa Rica - Alajuelense) in a great move.  Only 21 and has been starting for two years down there.  Has played in the CCL the last two years as well.  Really like this signing.

There will be a "significant club announcement" at 11AM Pacific time coming from the Sounders .....

Dell Loy Hanson and RSL aren't screwing around

^ These guys are building a freaking club.  So awesome.

11 hours ago, Mr. X said:

How about the Chicago Fire? I admit to not watching them for a couple of years, but know they have been pretty bad for a while now. What is the deal with trading away the #1 pick? Seems kind of odd unless there just wasn't a true standout in this draft.

Unfortunately the Fire are a mess.  Until things in the FO change over they're going to be hurting.  They actually made the pick at #1 (Jack Harrison) and then traded him to NYCFC for the #4 pick (Brandon Vincent) and some general allocation money.  It was actually a good move as they got more out of their #1 pick this way and got a guy they wanted and needed more so than the guy they took and then traded.  They also used their wheeling and dealing on Draft day to get themselves into the #2 spot in the allocation order for returning players.

CLB has signed Emil Larsen, winger from Denmark.  Only 24 and already seen matches for Denmark (and was on all the youth squads u16 and up) and has spent 5 years in the Danish top flight with OB (1st year with Lyngby after leading them to promotion as a 19yr old).  Looks like a pretty damned good signing.

As of now, the full preseason schedule: http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule/preseason/2016