The Best MLS Season Ever Thread (2016 obviously)

GoGo Yubari

Between Andre Blake in goal and now Keegan Rosenberry being named to MLS Team of the Week, and just having an all around good season so far, I'm quite happy with the way this team is coming together. :shifty: 

I'm going to a match this month and next month, so hopefully we can keep getting at least a point in every match.

• Like 1

Not sure where to post this, but the Detroit City Football Club has been gaining a very good fanbase over the years. I don't know what league they are in, but it they moved to a small stadium in Hamtramck (city within Detroit) that holds just over 7000, and they managed to sell that out.

Looks like a pretty exciting thing going on. I know Detroit is lobbying for a MLS team but I think they have something good with this.

19 hours ago, VerbalRick said:

Not sure where to post this, but the Detroit City Football Club has been gaining a very good fanbase over the years. I don't know what league they are in, but it they moved to a small stadium in Hamtramck (city within Detroit) that holds just over 7000, and they managed to sell that out.

Looks like a pretty exciting thing going on. I know Detroit is lobbying for a MLS team but I think they have something good with this.

Yes ... unfortunately their most outspoken and visible supporters are a bunch of ignorant jackasses.  In the "soccer community" there's a whole shit bag show going on.  It's pretty crappy because THE MAJORITY of that story is absolutely wonderful and everything that is right with sports/etc. 

I'm not sure what you mean honestly. I see a lively crowd mostly, not sure about the smoke but it's nice to see some passion for soccer in my hometown.

The other half of the stadium is for families and such, so the crazies are atleast seperate from the kids.

On 5/24/2016 at 21:24, VerbalRick said:

I'm not sure what you mean honestly. I see a lively crowd mostly, not sure about the smoke but it's nice to see some passion for soccer in my hometown.

The other half of the stadium is for families and such, so the crazies are atleast seperate from the kids.

Northern Guard has made a huge stink and is a vocal minority that is actively shitting on things in the bigger picture.  Cosplay wannabe "hardcore" "firm" bullshit and actively speaking out against American soccer scene at times.  Very over inflated sense of entitlement ...

... real shitty honestly.

Yeah, I read another article and was a bit put off by the attitude toward a MLS soccer team. While I can agree that it would be a shame to see the smaller grass roots team smashed, the "Sgt. Scary" guy came off like a knob about a MLS team. Citing he would only support DCFC which is cool with me, loyalty is great, but the way he stated it: "I've got other things to worry about in life" as if following two soccer teams is up there with paying your mortgage.

I'll probably try to attend games, but the family portion is where I'll be hanging out with my kids. I do love the enthusiasm from the Northern Guard side, it's a great atmosphere, but the hooligan bullshit isn't necessary. Detroit is already looked down upon, no reason to give more ammo.

Owen Coyle wins the 2016 MLS Sack Race, having been fired by Houston.

Meanwhile in the second-worst team in the West news, Sounders are trying to sign Nicolas Lodeiro (Boca Juniors/Uruguayan national team). Which could be massive for us but there's transfer fee and availability hurdles to jump to get there.

15 hours ago, VerbalRick said:

Yeah, I read another article and was a bit put off by the attitude toward a MLS soccer team. While I can agree that it would be a shame to see the smaller grass roots team smashed, the "Sgt. Scary" guy came off like a knob about a MLS team. Citing he would only support DCFC which is cool with me, loyalty is great, but the way he stated it: "I've got other things to worry about in life" as if following two soccer teams is up there with paying your mortgage.

I'll probably try to attend games, but the family portion is where I'll be hanging out with my kids. I do love the enthusiasm from the Northern Guard side, it's a great atmosphere, but the hooligan bullshit isn't necessary. Detroit is already looked down upon, no reason to give more ammo.

Yeah Sgt Scary and there's a female with him with the same Cosplay wannabe name and crap too.  It's really pathetic and they're essentially attacking MLS for absolutely no reason and just trying to incite where there is literally NOTHING wrong.  Nobody is crapping on DCFC (and again, their story outside of the NGS is what's beautiful about sports) but reality is what it is.  It's simply how things work ... they want to cry foul and all this other garbage but don't want to admit, are ignorant to the fact of, or are just flat out too stupid to understand that the exact same thing happens in pro/rel structures.

Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday have found investment and ownership takeovers, but the oldest playing soccer club in the world wallows in the Northern Premier League.  Sheffield FC doesn't bitch, cry, and pretend there's some evil conspiracy specifically to kill "real" support and all that other bullshit.

10 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Owen Coyle wins the 2016 MLS Sack Race, having been fired by Houston.

Meanwhile in the second-worst team in the West news, Sounders are trying to sign Nicolas Lodeiro (Boca Juniors/Uruguayan national team). Which could be massive for us but there's transfer fee and availability hurdles to jump to get there.

What makes it worse is that assistant coach Sandy Stewart has also left the team ... HOWEVER, it appears that HOUSTON HAS SOME BAD NEWS FOR THE REST OF THE MLS CLUBS:

Assistant coaches Wade Barrett, Paul Caffrey and Paul Rogers will oversee the team together on Saturday

CjvtsmiUUAAMaG7.jpg

Tough draw for Portland .... too bad they didn't get Cascadia in group play.  Dallas, one of SKC/VAN, and one of POR/NYR should all advance.  No reason we can't have 3 make the knockout.  Pachuca and Monterrey have the trickiest groups for the Mexican clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great night tonight at the Union/Chicago game. Not every day you get to see a 4-3 match live. We went down 1-0 in the third minute and I was like, "Yeah, here we go. I'm going to be here to witness the collapse." But we answered back with four straight goals. Roland Alberg with the hat trick!

Some terrible refereeing tonight though. I'm not sure what the spread was, but the referees clearly had Chicago. 

• Like 2