David Bowie has passed away.

GoGo Yubari

Well, this certainly sucks. I never got around to it in my little childhood music post, but as a kid I listened to a lot of Bowie because it's what my dad would have on when he was in a mood - it was usually "Changes", "Rebel Rebel", "Young Americans", etc. and while I always liked it, being a kid, I never really appreciated it. It wasn't until I got older and decided to check him out on my own that I really realized, hey, wow, this dude is really fucking good.

Bowie was always amazing no matter what era you listened to. I'd much rather listen to him than the Beatles/Stones/whatever, to me he was always more I dunno, listenable? It didn't seem to matter what genre you liked you'd always find something amazing in his back catalogue.

This has been a shit week.

• Like 1

David Bowie was more than a musician to me. As an awkward 16 year old struggling to come to terms with my sexuality, David Bowie spoke to me and showed me it was okay to be different. David Bowie made me the person I am today. 

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, RPS said:

David Bowie was more than a musician to me. As an awkward 16 year old struggling to come to terms with my sexuality, David Bowie spoke to me and showed me it was okay to be different. David Bowie made me the person I am today. 

That's a sentiment I've seen repeated on social media so many times today, it's a beautiful thing to see.

• Like 1

I used to cry sometimes when I was having that kind of day and a Bowie song came on the radio. Life on Mars used to do it a lot. So I'll bec a bit of a mess today.  But I've got the great soundtrack to accompany my tears. 

6 hours ago, stokeriño said:

Like some others I've never been a Bowie fan so much as conscious of his significance and influence. I have the first few lines of FotC's Bowie song rather stuck in my head this morning...

Bowie's in space...
Bowie's in spa-a-ace,
Whatcha doin' out there, man?

:(

Great tweet from Jermaine Clement from FOTC:

• Like 1

So many of my musical interests have overlapped with "David Bowie was a huge influence". I'm pretty stunned because there was nothing to get me prepared for this. Instead of telling everyone to go off and listen to David Bowie today, I'm going to tell everyone to listen to Seu Jorge's covers because nothing shows Bowie's genius better than someone else completely finding another element of magic in some of his most famous songs.

• Like 4

Everett True put together a Bowie Tribute playlist, and while there were some of his versions, it was predominantly made up of covers - as well as the great Seu Jorge stuff, or something incredibly haunting like the Langley Schools Music Project cover of Space Oddity, just looking at the line-up of people who have covered him speaks volumes.

To name but a few;

Nirvana, The Cure, Lulu, Bauhaus, My Chemical Romance, The Futureheads, Infectious Grooves, Peter Gabriel, Kasabian, Tears For Fears, Wairpaint, Duran Duran, Dresden Dolls, Barbara Streisand, The Divine Comedy, Tangerine Dream, Green River, Simple Minds, Tegan & Sara, Rickie Lee Jones, Beck, Dead Or Alive, L.A. Guns, The White Stripes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Danzig, Polyphonic Spree, Marilyn Manson, The Melvins, Robbie Williams, Kim Wilde, Tori Amos, Morrissey, Def Leppard, Phillip Glass....

There's not many that can boast, not just the volume of talent, but the range of vastly different artists.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Skummy said:

Everett True put together a Bowie Tribute playlist, and while there were some of his versions, it was predominantly made up of covers - as well as the great Seu Jorge stuff, or something incredibly haunting like the Langley Schools Music Project cover of Space Oddity, just looking at the line-up of people who have covered him speaks volumes.

To name but a few;

Nirvana, The Cure, Lulu, Bauhaus, My Chemical Romance, The Futureheads, Infectious Grooves, Peter Gabriel, Kasabian, Tears For Fears, Wairpaint, Duran Duran, Dresden Dolls, Barbara Streisand, The Divine Comedy, Tangerine Dream, Green River, Simple Minds, Tegan & Sara, Rickie Lee Jones, Beck, Dead Or Alive, L.A. Guns, The White Stripes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Danzig, Polyphonic Spree, Marilyn Manson, The Melvins, Robbie Williams, Kim Wilde, Tori Amos, Morrissey, Def Leppard, Phillip Glass....

There's not many that can boast, not just the volume of talent, but the range of vastly different artists.

I think I mentioned it in the gigs thread, but while I sadly never got to see him play I did see Frankie and the Heartstrings play a charity gig as him in Newcastle a few years back, including coming back on for the headlining Futureheads (playing as Queen) to do Under Pressure. He's that one influence that absolutely everyone admits to having.