52 Films By Women Film Challenge

Jimmy

I know we all like a good film challenge here, and I'd encourage everyone to get involved with this one: 52 Films By Women. It's pretty simple, watch one film a week for a year which is directed by a women. 

The statistics for female directed films are beyond ridiculous, and things need to change. I think I've watched 22 features this year, and of those 22, only 3 were directed by women, which puts me on course for the challenge, but is still pretty poor when you think about it. I haven't gone back last year and counted up my tally (I just did, it's something like 25 films out of 175), but I don't think I'd have have hit 52. So yeah people, get involved. 

1. Night and Day (1991) dir. Chantal Akerman

2. Appropriate Behaviour (2014) dir. Desiree Akhavan

3. Sister (2012) dir. Ursula Meier

2 hours ago, Lars Elric said:

I'm Jimmy! Have to catch up though!

No,

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I know we all like a good film challenge here, and I'd encourage everyone to get involved with this one: 52 Films By Women. It's pretty simple, watch one film a week for a year which is directed by a women. 

The statistics for female directed films are beyond ridiculous, and things need to change. I think I've watched 22 features this year, and of those 22, only 3 were directed by women, which puts me on course for the challenge, but is still pretty poor when you think about it. I haven't gone back last year and counted up my tally (I just did, it's something like 25 films out of 175), but I don't think I'd have have hit 52. So yeah people, get involved. 

That's Jimmy.

Anywaaaay. Got two to add to the list from the last few days, both of which were debut features which were very self assured. I absolutely loved the camerawork in It Felt Like Love, the wandering camera reflecting the curious wandering eye of it's fourteen-year-old protagonist. It can be hard to stomach at times, especially because a number of male characters are quite despicable, but it's an engaging look at female sexuality, which is enhanced by a standout performance. I've wanted to see some of Joanna Hogg's work for a few years now, and it's definitely an achievement of how confident it is for a debut film, and while I don't mind a ponderous film, it see saws between being interesting and just quite dull. It might be of interest to people on here because it's got one of Tom Hiddleston's earliest performances in, and I definitely got something out off it, but it's not exactly a thrilling film. 

4. It Felt Like Love (2013) dir. Eliza Hittman

5. Unrelated (2007) dir. Joanna Hogg

• 4 weeks later...