2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

That's probably the worst part, that members of the media deliberately sat on this for 13 years. It's disgraceful and they should be held accountable.

I really hope nothing bad ever comes out about Eli, I don't think I could handle the heartbreak :(

It really does my head in.  Again, even if you were to write the incident itself off as some really ignorant, ill-advised frat boy joke...how does that in any way justify the character assassination and harassment that his accuser had to deal with rather than Manning simply admitting it when it happened and dealing with the consequences?  Because I've been such a huge fan of Peyton I actually read through the 74 page court record hoping to find some reason to come out of it thinking it wasn't as bad as it sounded when the news broke, but it was worse than I thought it would be.  I don't really see how anybody could read through it and come out of it thinking he had done nothing wrong.  That's just fucking baffling.

3 hours ago, TCO said:

I really hope nothing bad ever comes out about Eli, I don't think I could handle the heartbreak :(

I could see people citing the 2004 draft thing with Archie basically orchestrating Eli not going to the Chargers as being another example of Archie not being at all afraid to say fuck the rules and doing the "right thing" if it means getting his sons into a better career situation.  But this Peyton scenario is far, far more reprehensible.

There was such a window of time for Peyton to go "Hey I did a pretty awful thing when I was a dumb college kid and I apologize." I understand there are things you can't say regarding potential criminal acts and you just have to let people judge you based on how they want to judge you. But from what I read Peyton had the opportunity to clean up this issue, apologize, and move on and instead he tried to run a smear campaign against the victim.

From what I read, in his book he basically said what he did was crude but "she should've just let it go" so I'd hardly call that a smear campaign. Immature and passive aggressive. Definitely. And then came the lawsuit and the changes of details in the story. 

I'm not saying that Peyton is in the clear here. He did something stupid and gross and had a chance to set it right but still didn't. But I don't like the changing of the story happening from the other side. 

• Like 1

He also said that a woman in the locker room was "misbegotten concession to equal rights", and his version of the story is that he "merely mooned her", while hers is more vulgar (put his testicles, rectum etc. right in her face).

And let's not forget that before the book was published, excerpts were sent to her at her new job at Florida Southern, addressed to "Dr. Vulgar Mouth Whited". The Mannings aren't exactly classy, and as CBS Sports pointed out, if they hadn't brought it up in the book they wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was an article I read somewhere - Deadspin, maybe? - detailing how Manning has to always get the last word in, be the last one to take a shot at someone, etc., which is probably why he felt compelled to bring it up in the book. EDIT: Here it is, it was on Daily Beast

And we haven't even gotten into the unrelated stuff where he sends goons impersonating cops to peoples' houses.

6 hours ago, Cloudy said:

He also said that a woman in the locker room was "misbegotten concession to equal rights", and his version of the story is that he "merely mooned her", while hers is more vulgar (put his testicles, rectum etc. right in her face).

And let's not forget that before the book was published, excerpts were sent to her at her new job at Florida Southern, addressed to "Dr. Vulgar Mouth Whited". The Mannings aren't exactly classy, and as CBS Sports pointed out, if they hadn't brought it up in the book they wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was an article I read somewhere - Deadspin, maybe? - detailing how Manning has to always get the last word in, be the last one to take a shot at someone, etc., which is probably why he felt compelled to bring it up in the book. EDIT: Here it is, it was on Daily Beast

And we haven't even gotten into the unrelated stuff where he sends goons impersonating cops to peoples' houses.

Uhhh, what.

Rodgers has already sarcastically said he's "stoked" that the Packers will be playing an extra preseason game after losing Jordy Nelson in preseason last year...but he had to have known this was coming.  The teams who play in it are nearly always teams who have a player associated with them going into the HOF, and if the headliner is from your team it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be picked to play since there will be a ton of fans of the team in the area for the induction.

The game itself is about as pointless as it gets yet I always invariably watch a series or two just because it feels great to watch football of some any sort after a long offseason.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Buschan Danielson said:

Rodgers has already sarcastically said he's "stoked" that the Packers will be playing an extra preseason game after losing Jordy Nelson in preseason last year...but he had to have known this was coming.  The teams who play in it are nearly always teams who have a player associated with them going into the HOF, and if the headliner is from your team it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be picked to play since there will be a ton of fans of the team in the area for the induction.

The game itself is about as pointless as it gets yet I always invariably watch a series or two just because it feels great to watch football of some any sort after a long offseason.

Spoken like a true American. :crying:

• Like 1