2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

8 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Cardale Jones to the Bills with the final pick of the fourth round at #139.

Better than Hackenburg in the second round at least. Hopefully he gets to sit and learn for a couple years before anything's expected of him.

1 minute ago, munky said:

Better than Hackenburg in the second round at least. Hopefully he gets to sit and learn for a couple years before anything's expected of him.

The guy couldn't score any touchdowns with a team that saw seven other players taken in the first two rounds. I wouldn't have any hopes for him, if I were you.

6 minutes ago, Meacon said:

The guy couldn't score any touchdowns with a team that saw seven other players taken in the first two rounds. I wouldn't have any hopes for him, if I were you.

I don't.

The defensive guys they've taken give me a semi though.

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

The Raiders, of all people, have taken Connor Cook with the 100th pick.

3 hours ago, VerbalRick said:

Maybe just looking to groom a back up? Good value pick for them, not bad to have a solid young back up there. Could be trade bait later.

This. It's a value pick. 

3 hours ago, Mofoticon said:

Raiders already have a good backup in Matt McGloin...the fit doesn't make any sense.

McGloin is a free agent next year and is going to make much more than Cook will, without the upside or future trade value.

This is the type of move good teams, like the Packers (where Reggie came from) or Patriots make. With the defense solidified is a move Oakland can finally afford to make. 

3 hours ago, Mofoticon said:

If that was the case they'd have taken him earlier than round 4 I imagine.

He was the most valuable player still available. It's low risk, high reward in the 4th.

• Like 4

The best case for the Raiders is that Cook turns into a trade for a future 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2-3 seasons, which as DMN points out is something a team like New England does. But I'm not sure Oakland has the benefit of "wasting" a high 4th rounder like that yet.

Giants just wrapped up their draft in the sixth round.  Some quick thoughts:

Round 1:  Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State:  I thought it was a big reach to take him tenth and I stand by that.  That being said, the Giants were met with the worst case scenario with teams jumping in front of them to take their top two targets, and apparently they asked too much to move back.  You do need three quality CBs in today's NFL, and he'll slot in on the nickel position this year so hopefully his weaknesses can be masked there early on.

Round 2:  Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma:  Really like this pick.  His best fit does seem to be the slot, which is good because you have to view anything they get out of Cruz this year as a bonus.  If both guys compete for playing time, it's a good problem to have.  Sprinkle in Dwayne Harris who contributed way more in the passing game than I ever would have expected last year and they might have themselves a nice crop of receivers not named OBJ for Eli to throw to.

Round 3:  Darian Thompson, S, Boise State:  Said it last night but he could very well be their starting FS in Week 1.  Landon Collins badly needs to be switched to the strong side, and drafting Thompson might give them the opportunity to do that.  And he was getting mid-second round grades on a lot of boards.

Round 4:  B.J. Goodson, LB, Clemson:  The word on him seems to be that he's sound against the run but poor against the pass.  Sounds like every LB Reese has brought in the last few years.  But he plays inside and anybody has to be better than Uani 'Unga.  He could be another Week 1 starter.

Round 5:  Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA:  Reading up on him it sounds like he might be a steal.  Rashad Jennings looked good late last year but is 31 years old, so I understand bringing in some help.  If he gets Andre Williams off the roster then I'm totally happy with this move.

Round 6:  Jerrell Adams, TE, South Carolina:  This guy is built like a power forward.  The only consistency the Giants have had at TE the past few years was Larry Donnell dropping 25 passes a game, so maybe Adams can change that and be a legitimate weapon.

I'm shocked the Giants didn't get a lineman considering that the right side is still a big question mark with a human turnstile like Marshall Newhouse slated to start at RT, but clearly they just weren't all that sold on anybody except for Conklin this year.  I think Apple may be the one I have the biggest issues with, actually.  Everybody else seems like they could be at least good value.  Aside from 2007 Reese has been flat out awful drafting outside of the first round so hopefully the class of 2016 can change that trend.

• Like 1