Sign in to follow this  
Dan

2016 NFL Off Season Thread

On 7/13/2016 at 11:22, Yoenis Buschpedes said:

Can't wait to listen to all the moaning and groaning as if the Pats still weren't mortal locks to win their division like they always do.

Personally, I think the suspension is bullshit and too long.  (I wouldn't have been as mad if it was, say, two games.)  However, the Patriots are still the team to beat in the AFC East.   I can't see the Jets or Bills leap frogging the Pats, even without Brady playing four games.  

The Pats first four games are at Arizona, then home against Miami, Houston, and Buffalo.  Even with Jimmy G, the Pats are talented enough to go 3-1.  I think they lose in Arizona, and should win two of the other three.  So even if they're 2-2 going into Cleveland, anyone want to make the argument they can't finish the season at least 8-4?  10 wins should be good enough to make the playoffs in the AFC, and probably win the East.  Both games against the Jets are with Brady.

Saints are favorites to sign Anquan Boldin

I hope he gets suspended again.

• Like 3

Von Miller and Denver have agreed a six year $114.5m deal.

This is a great scenario. Brady is suspended for 4 games AND the NFLPA is still going to carry the torch to fight Goodell's unchecked power.

What a fucking ending that would be!

Jets and Wilkerson strike a deal at the 11th hour.  5 years, $85 million with $54 million guaranteed over the first 3 years.

Karlos Williams has been suspended for the first four games for testing positive for drugs. So the Bills will likely be short their second and third string running backs to start the season, yay!

1 hour ago, Yoenis Buschpedes said:

Jets and Wilkerson strike a deal at the 11th hour.  5 years, $85 million with $54 million guaranteed over the first 3 years.

Has Fitzpatrick figured out which Canadian team he's going to be playing for next year yet?

Sure, he'd be a better choice for starting QB than Smith, but he's insane if he thinks he's worth more than what the Jets have been offering. One good season does not a franchise/star QB make....especially when he'll be 34 at the end of the season and they haven't given up on Smith yet. (Yet = the key word)

12 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Has Fitzpatrick figured out which Canadian team he's going to be playing for next year yet?

Sure, he'd be a better choice for starting QB than Smith, but he's insane if he thinks he's worth more than what the Jets have been offering. One good season does not a franchise/star QB make....especially when he'll be 34 at the end of the season and they haven't given up on Smith yet. (Yet = the key word)

Jets seem to be in 'win now' mode. If that's the case, Fitz gives them a better shot at at least making the playoffs this year. Geno has flashes of decency, but from what iv'e seen, he's not NFL QB material, and he probably never will be.

Jets know they'd be overpaying for Fitz, but what other choice do they have right now? Sign him and overpay, or go with Geno and potentially throw your season away?

21 hours ago, Little Red Srarvette said:

I am rooting for him. I hope he crushes everyone when he comes back.

Unless they play the Bears :shifty:

Pats play the NFC West this season.  NFC North isn't for another year or two.

4 hours ago, HeyThereVelvet said:

Jets seem to be in 'win now' mode. If that's the case, Fitz gives them a better shot at at least making the playoffs this year. Geno has flashes of decency, but from what iv'e seen, he's not NFL QB material, and he probably never will be.

Jets know they'd be overpaying for Fitz, but what other choice do they have right now? Sign him and overpay, or go with Geno and potentially throw your season away?

I don't get why the Jets haven't just signed Fitz to a stupid deal yet. Smith isn't the answer, while Fitz isn't longterm he puts them in a good position to get the Wild Card this year.

• Like 1

The problem is Fitz wants more money than he's worth, just because he had a really good season last year.

If I were the Jets, I'd have signed him to the terms he wanted so that there was a little stability at the position for a couple of seasons. If gives Geno more time to learn, and the team more time to find another youngster to draft/veteran to become available to trade. It just seems like, for a bit of penny pinching, they are willing to potentially sacrifice their season (Fitz isn't the answer, but he has great rapport with Marshall and Decker, which is a cracking start to an offense. Add in that Forte is around now, and they could definitely do well).

In other news, Arian Foster is trying out for the Dolphins and Lions this week.

Miami have now signed Arian Foster. 

18 hours ago, DFF said:

If I were the Jets, I'd have signed him to the terms he wanted so that there was a little stability at the position for a couple of seasons. If gives Geno more time to learn, and the team more time to find another youngster to draft/veteran to become available to trade. It just seems like, for a bit of penny pinching, they are willing to potentially sacrifice their season (Fitz isn't the answer, but he has great rapport with Marshall and Decker, which is a cracking start to an offense. Add in that Forte is around now, and they could definitely do well).

In other news, Arian Foster is trying out for the Dolphins and Lions this week.

They probably should sign him for the stability, but they'd be taking the risk of giving him an undeserved windfall if he turns back into the Fitz of old and doesn't perform anything like he did last year. Unfortunately, I bet he'd balk at signing an incentive laden contract, which is what he really deserves. 

I also don't think Geno is the answer. He proved what kind of man he is with the way he acted regarding the draft, and unless he matures quick he's a career backup.

Glad Foster went to the Fins and not the Lions. Neither team is all that great, but the Dolphins are probably a better fit for him.

Edited by GhostMachine

They're in a tough spot. Because Sam Bradford just got a nice sized contract considering he stinks and it's a "wait-and-see" contract.Fitzpatrick played much better than Bradford, so his contract should reflect that. But it's not hard to understand why they don't want to give a guy that's had one good year a mega-contract for several years.

As a Jets fan... I personally think they didn't offer Fitz the money he wants because (besides the facts that all of you have said, which are all valid) they wanted to keep enough money open to sign Wilkerson. If they signed Fitz for what he wanted, they probably wouldn't have had enough money to give Wilkerson the contract he deserved. Basically, who has the most upside in the future, Muhammed Wilkerson or Ryan Fitzpatrick?

I also think that Chan Gailey will make the offense simple enough for Geno Smith to do well. After all, Chan is the man who made Fitzpatrick relevant not once, but twice. Once in Buffalo, and again last season. Geno Smith may not be as intelligent or battle-tested as Fitzpatrick. But Smith is more mobile and does throw a beautiful football. If his maturity, accuracy, and offensive reads have improved then he will do well. You also have to remember that his first 2 years in the league he was playing in a Marty Mornhinweg West Coast scheme with a depleted offense. Now he's playing in a Chan Gailey Spread scheme with a bunch of offensive weapons. I wouldn't write Geno Smith off just yet.

Edited by The Heartbreak Kid
  • Like 1

Charles Tillman has retired.

Justin Durant has joined the Dallas Cowboys on a one-year deal.

• Like 1

Eugene Monroe has announced his retirement.