2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

Wentz-Bradford-1200.jpg

And a quote from his agent about what the Eagles told them regarding Sam being their long term option at QB

"Certainly, the fervor that they pursued Sam (with), in terms of trying to get something done prior to the time free agency occurred would give you reason to believe that they valued Sam," Condon said. "Certainly the dollar amount and the guarantee amount (indicated) they were committed to Sam as their starting quarterback. Somewhere in there, things changed, based on their evaluation of what they thought was potentially available in the long term plans for the franchise."

Oh...so nothing?

I think he means they never thought they'd be able to move up from, what were they #13 or #14(?), to get high enough to get one of the top two quarterbacks when they re-signed Bradford at starting quarterback money. But when they made that trade with Miami, it became more clear that moving up to get Goff or Wentz was a very real possibility. 

We were talking about hometowns and football talent. Alex Ellis, from Delmar Delaware which is literally the town just two minutes south from where I grew up (Laurel) signed an undrafted free agent contract with Tennessee. Alex was one of the guys they showed on SportsCenter when he was awarded a scholarship his senior year by Butch Jones.

• Like 1

The most famous athletes from my geographical area are the Jones brothers. Arthur, Jon & Chandler. I live 30 minutes away from their hometown of Endicott, NY. They've set the bar pretty high around here.

But as far as the draft goes. I'm content with how it went for the Jets. Lee and Jenkins are great picks. I actually liked Hackenberg in the 2nd. Chad Pennington announcing the pick made it even better. Hackenberg definitely has talent and the potential to be an NFL starter someday. His body of work isn't impressive, but I blame a lot of that on how terrible his supporting cast was at Penn State. His performance at the 2014 Pinstripe Bowl though. That was pretty solid. 34-50 (68%), 371 Yards, 4TDs. He was the Penn State offense.

With the current QB situation, I see it like this. The Jets have 3 young, talented QBs. It's not like we have 3 Johnny Manziels competing for the starting job. It's currently open for the taking, regardless of what is being said about Geno being the de-facto starter.

Edited by The Heartbreak Kid

On 5/4/2016 at 22:15, Meacon said:

We were talking about hometowns and football talent. Alex Ellis, from Delmar Delaware which is literally the town just two minutes south from where I grew up (Laurel) signed an undrafted free agent contract with Tennessee. Alex was one of the guys they showed on SportsCenter when he was awarded a scholarship his senior year by Butch Jones.

The Briscoes are from Delmar. Tells me a lot about where you're from and why you're not there anymore.

Anyway the most famous athlete from my town is hard to gauge, everything just gets bunched together as Baltimore. Michael Phelps is from Baltimore County, in fact he grew up a few minutes from where I currently live. So I'll go with him and his incredibly high bar for most famous athlete from my town.

• Like 1

Raiders LT and 2013 2nd round pick Menelik Watson is from around 40 miles away from where I live. Don't think any other notable NFL players come from the north of England.

Some of the athletes I know of from here are 

Todd Helton  (former MLB 1st baseman)

Mike Cofer (former NFL lineman)

Reggie Cobb (former NFL running back)

Tim Irwin (former NFL offensive tackle)

The McKenzie brothers (Raleign and Reggie) 

Chad Pennington (former NFL quarterback)

(NONE of those went to my high school. Go figure.....)

The University of Tennessee is here, and we used to have a minor league baseball team (it moved to Sevier county a long time ago), so we had quite a lot of football and baseball players here. 

Edited by GhostMachine
left out a letter in a word

Quite a few from my home area.  The Nasty Boys, Afa, Billy Kidman, The Andretti family, Chuck Bednarik, Larry Holmes, Andre Reed

• Like 1