2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

1 hour ago, damshow said:

I'm actually surprised Goodell hasn't made a push to host it at Wembley or Rogers Centre or The Azteca.

EDIT- Could you imagine all the pissed off fans who can't go to see their team play because they don't have Passports? This sounds 100% Roger he needs to make it happen.

If we could get him and Trump in the same building together, I'd just about be willing to do everyone in the world a favor. :shifty: 

1 hour ago, damshow said:

It's amazing that dump in Miami keeps hosting Super Bowls.

By the next Super Bowl there it will be a dump....WITH A NEW HAT

tempRenovation4--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Meacon¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

That poor city. They keep paying for new stadiums that no one ever goes to.

That's not a new stadium.  Old stadium, new hat.

35 minutes ago, Lineker said:

That's a sarcastic design right? They're not actually building that? Right?

It's the best practical design they can do. It offers shade everywhere apart from the opposition sideline. Playing against the Dolphins in the sun wearing dark colours is a big disadvantage. The Pats under Belichick have a losing record there.

The roof shields the fans and team while fucking the opposition. It's genius!

4 hours ago, damshow said:

It's amazing that dump in Miami keeps hosting Super Bowls.

Hey! It's been going through renovations these last 2 seasons. AND we got the lack of snow in our corner. Don't be jealous. 

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

That's a sarcastic design right? They're not actually building that? Right?

It's very real. It's quite a hat. 

LaDainian Tomlinson is the one surefire lock for first ballot enshrinement.  I think Jason Taylor has a very good chance of going in immediately too, in part because the logjam of guys who were lumped together as "pass rushers" has been cleared up over the past few years (Strahan, Haley, Greene).  Hines Ward could also be a first ballot guy although there is no way to statistically justify him going in before T.O.  However many of the voters hate T.O. because of his attitude.  Good thing they let in a guy who was likely involved in multiple murders in, then.

As for the other "modern era" nominees, I'd expect at least one or two offensive linemen (Alan Faneca and/or Joe Jacoby) and probably a coach too.  Don Coryell was listed as a modern era finalist so he might go in, although I'd argue he makes more sense as a "contributor" nominee.

Speaking of contributors, there will be two in that category this year.  No idea who's even up for discussion but I'll throw Paul Tagliabue out there as a possibility.  One senior will also be nominated, and while I don't know who is on the table the senior nominee rarely gets snubbed on election day.

• Admin

Shortly after Al Jazeera America reported in December allegations of performance-enhancing drug use among NFL players, the league announced it would investigate the matter.

An NFL spokesman confirmed to NFL Media on Wednesday it plans to speak to the players tied to report at some point next month.

"We have been working with U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and Major League Baseball since these allegations were raised," NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. "Working with the NFL Players Association, we expect to talk directly to the players sometime next month."

Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, Mike Neal and James Harrison were the four active players named in the report.

Retired Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning -- the most prominent of the players in the report -- vehemently denied accusations made in the Al Jazeera America documentary that he used human-growth hormone or PEDs during his recovery from neck surgery in 2011.

The report cited a former unpaid Guyer Institute intern pharmacist, Charlie Sly, who allegedly spoke to an undercover reporter working for the network. Sly, who later recanted his statement, said Manning was among several prominent athletes who were supplied illegal PEDs drugs from the Indianapolis-based anti-aging clinic.

"Between being angry, furious, disgusted is how I really feel, sickened," Manning said following the release of the report. "I'm not sure I understand how someone can make something up about somebody. ... And yet somehow it's published in a story."

In January, the NFL announced it had begun a comprehensive review of the allegations, but did not give a timeline as to when it might be completed.

Jets wide receiver Eric Decker has been absent from the team’s OTA's this week, and Brian Costello of the New York Post reported Wednesday night that Decker’s absence is related to the team’s ongoing contract standoff with free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

• Admin

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the Jets offered Fitzpatrick a three-year deal that includes $12 million in the first season back in March, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post first reported the specific contract figure. The $12 million would keep Fitzpatrick near the bottom of the totem pole for veteran starting quarterbacks, but represents a sensible offer when compared to earlier reports that pegged the Jets' offer in the neighborhood of $8 million per season.