Let's talk about Spotify's DISCOVER WEEKLY

K

Last year Spotify introduced Discover Weekly. I only just found out about it. I'm probably the last one to notice it, but just in case I'm gonna let Spotify's press statement do the hard work for me, and explain it to you.

Updated every Monday morning, Discover Weekly brings you two hours of custom-made music recommendations, tailored specifically to you and delivered as a unique Spotify playlist.

For the first time ever, we’re combining your personal taste in music with what similar fans are enjoying right now.

And it is ON POINT.

I don't know exactly how the algorithm works, but I've used it for three weeks now, and all three playlists were on fire. It played me tracks featuring artists I love, that I'd never even heard of, it's introduced me to new bands, it's reminded me about old bands I'd forgotten about. It's so, so good.

Yesterdays playlist featured Deltron 3030, DJ Format, The Herd, Busdriver, Crooklyn Dodgers, Flobots, Foreign Beggars, Skinnyman, Leaf Dog, all great hip hop, but then it also threw in some  rock stuff out of nowhere, Black Pistol Fire, John Coffrey, Turbowolf, and it all just works.

It's amazing.

If, like me, you hadn't noticed the Discover Weekly playlist yet, you should definitely check it out. 

And if you are using it, and wished you could keep the playlist every week, if you push a button on http://www.savediscoverweekly.com, it will automatically replicate the playlist for you, save you doing it one track at a time.

• Like 5

My guess is that it is based off songs that you have saved - I'm running off that idea because:

1. I hardly ever listen to anything that is pop punk anymore but I had a ton of it saved due to the nostalgia. My whole week was a ton of pop punk.

2. A song that is on your saved list won't show up, songs that I have listened to before have.

8 hours ago, Big Hairy Man Face said:

Is it based on saved songs, or just songs you have streamed?

And do you need to be a premium member?

I'm think it's based on what you're following.

I love discover weekly. I can't exactly say off the top of my head what I've found from it, but it's given me some great suggestions. I get a lot of stuff I already know, but there is usually some gems in there.

I may start making it a habit of listening to the full discover weekly on my way to and from work throughout the week so that I don't miss anything. I fucking love spotify, student discount gets it for 4.99 a month by the way.

Music-streaming service Spotify is letting its recommendation algorithms loose again with six new-music playlists that will be updated once a week.

Under the brand of Fresh Finds, the playlists will be constructed from an analysis of music blogs, news sites and the songs being listened to by “tastemakers” on Spotify.

The main Fresh Finds playlist will sit alongside genre-specific playlists for hip-hop (Fire Emoji), electronic music (Basement), vocal pop (Hiptronix), guitar-driven rock (Six Strings) and experimental music (Cyclone).

Discover Weekly has been a hit: it generated more than 1bn streams in its first 10 weeks – a total that rose to 1.7bn by the end of 2015.

The main Fresh Finds playlist launched quietly alongside Discover Weekly, but its official launch – plus the five genre-specific playlists – marks its first promotion by Spotify.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/02/spotify-fresh-finds-playlists-algorithms-discover-weekly

• Like 2

I don't know what any of that means...

Anyway, one thing I wish spotify would do differently...show EVERY SINGLE artist I am following under the "Artists I am following" thing. There are probably bands I forgot about that I am following. I know there is another thing that shows almost everything, but it's totally out of order.

Oh! And they need to figure out a way to differentiate artists with the same name. Some bands with the same name get lumped together, so you're jamming some metal and the next song is techno. I am left thinking "what in the fuck is this electronic dance shit?".

Otherwise, good stuff.

It basically means that as well as the Discover Weekly playlist, which is personally tailored to you, there will be six new music playlists each week, for different genres, which are populated via an algorithm programmed to searched out the hottest, newest bangers in each field.

You can report the multiple bands with the same name thing on their contact page if you can be arsed. I don't think I've ever done it though.

• Like 2

Glad I haven't run across that myself - that would drive me crazy. Back when I kept a digital collection of music on my computer I was obsessive over naming and placing everything in the proper place. It's why I had to leave Google Play Music - their system for tracking artists, and what song belonged with who and just everything was so, so off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Bad Religion, Lonestar, As I lay Dying and Michelle Branch all on the same playlist.

Also it gave me 'Wild and Young' so now I'm having weird flashbacks to watching NXT season one featuring Daniel Bryan, Heath Slater and Wade Barrett.