MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

I was looking forward to trying the diamond dynasty mode, but it seems way more convoluted than the ultimate team modes I'm used to. How do you use equipment cards and stadiums? What's the best way to set your lineup? I used the automatic setting but it kept putting center fielders in left field and things like that. 

I'm enjoying the game. The change to the camera has been pretty good for me - I usually have to mess with sliders to get everything where I want it, but I didn't have to in this version of the game. I was able to draw a walk in one of the my first at-bats, and that's usually the toughest thing for me to do.

You'd have to be pretty hardcore to notice the animation changes and updated graphics, but I really appreciate them. If you're more of a casual player, I'd stick to last year's game if you have it already.

Only took until my second year to get called up the Majors, and I'm now a 19-year old closer for Arizona.  That's a quicker turnaround than even I was expecting but to be fair Ziegler retired and they didn't acquire a suitable replacement.  They used some made up closer for the first month and a half and called me up in mid-May, which I thought was a nice touch as a lot of teams wait until then to call up guys because of the Super 2 arbitration deadline.

I've added all of the music for the Mets, the other NL East teams, and any other team they visit in the first two months of the season.  Still just waiting for the OSFM rosters to drop.  I imagine within a week they should be out and then I can get myself hooked on franchise.

5 minutes ago, Buscha Syndergaard said:

Only took until my second year to get called up the Majors, and I'm now a 19-year old closer for Arizona.  That's a quicker turnaround than even I was expecting but to be fair Ziegler retired and they didn't acquire a suitable replacement.  They used some made up closer for the first month and a half and called me up in mid-May, which I thought was a nice touch as a lot of teams wait until then to call up guys because of the Super 2 arbitration deadline.

I've added all of the music for the Mets, the other NL East teams, and any other team they visit in the first two months of the season.  Still just waiting for the OSFM rosters to drop.  I imagine within a week they should be out and then I can get myself hooked on franchise.

Started my RTTS last night and also got drafted by Arizona.  Bullpen buddies!

I'm taking a different approach this year and building up K/9, H/9, BB/9 and HR/9 first, rather than concentrating on adding to my pitch repertoire or beefing up pitches. 

• Like 1

I'm waiting for those rosters to drop as well.   You know what was really disappointing this year?  The soundtrack.  There's like 12 tracks, I've already turned them all off.  Thanks god for Spotify.  Although it looks like you can import your own music this year via usb drive, not sure I'll ever bother.

I threw a No Hitter!!!  No walks, 13 Ks

Two dumbass fielding errors from the short stop kept me from a perfect game.  <_<

Edit:  But in my next start the announcers talked about it being a Perfect Game and the little stat window popped up and said my last game was a Perfect Game! 

Someone decide for me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Meacon said:

Not a perfect game. Just a glitch. :/

Oh I'm sorry, I guess 1992 NL Rookie of the Year Eric Karros doesn't know what he's talking about!  IS THAT WHAT YOU'RE IMPLYING!?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Meacon said:

The man played first base. Everyone knows that's where they put all the dumb people!

My AA team apparently plays them at short 

I've never thrown a no-hitter or perfect game in any baseball video game. I'm usually pretty good with pitching in these games, but any time I get close the AI gets some sort of bloop hit single or something.

I was surprised it happened, wasn't even really paying attention as I was playing OOTP at the same time.  Once I realized, I was sure a bloop was coming, but it never did.  It's the first one I've ever thrown in The Show series, and I think the only time I've ever thrown another was in like MLB 2K7, with randomly generated rookie who had an eephus pitch, which was unhittable.

I was able to throw perfect games and no-hitters with regularity in MVP 2005, but on The Show it's so much harder as I tend to get predictable with my pitches and the AI jumps all over it.  My weakness is throwing a first pitch fastball for a strike 90% of the time, so usually my no-hit bids end on a first pitch base hit.

I did pull off a no-no with Dillon Gee of all people a few years ago though.  I walked a guy late as I started to lose stamina but induced a hard hit fly ball out for the final out of the game.  My hands were shaking during the last inning.  :blush:

I pitched a one hitter (twas a solo shot) with Bartolo Colon just the other night. It happened in the third, so there was not really any pressure of pitching a no-no. And I honestly didn't even realize I had given up only one-hit until Karros or whoever mentioned it in the 8th. I only ended up with like four strikeouts too. 

• Like 1