MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

I'm so done with RTTS. I have no desire to play that mode again.

We've gone to the World Series three years straight, winning 105, 110, then 116 games. In all three World Series match-ups, it was the same exact thing. I'd either have a game where I had six runs batted in, and no one else would have any and we'd lose 14-6 or 10-6. And then there were games where I'd go 3-for-4 or 4-for-5 and have nobody on base at any point and we'd lose 2-0. Every game in each series was like that. And two of those Series losses were to NL Wildcard teams that hadn't even won 90 games. What a crock of crap. I'll stick to franchise.

On 5/17/2016 at 14:02, Meacon¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In game or in home run derby? I hit one 512 in home run derby on last year's Show. Longest one I've hit in home run derby on this years is 498.

In game, in this year's it was like 460-ish? It was with my RTTS guy who has 99 power against lefties and righties (carry over from like two Shows ago).

I just hit my furthest home runs on this years. I hit 488, 499, and 500 foot blasts with Miguel Sano in the 2021 Home-Run Derby.

I love it when you can hit home runs off of the landmarks in each stadium. I still need to hit one over the hill in center in Minute Maid Park. Last weekend I bounced a few off of the Pirates logo over the wall in center. And I've hit tons off home runs up the steps in left field in Oakland.

I don't know what to do, it's completely killed my enthusiasm for the game. Just had a three inning conquest game go through full 9, I managed 10 hits, but most of them were on 2 outs and the runners got stranded. They won 1-0 when Ruiz overthrew first base and let the runner from third score. Felt totally cheated, like the game was saying "this has gone on long enough."

I'm not asking to hit homers every time, but the odd one would be welcome. 

I struggle mightily with hitting most of the time but I don't mind it so much because the way I'm playing is not unlike the real Mets.  A lot of strikeouts (mostly on pitches way out of the zone) but when I score it's usually via the long ball.

I still have dynamic difficulty on and keep creeping towards the low end of Veteran status but then I'll have one big inning and settle back to the middle.  Yesterday I was doing nothing against Joe Ross who had a 5+ ERA on the year.  The Cespedes connects on a solo shot, d'Arnaud singles in a run, and Neil Walker (who I had bumped to the 8 hole as he's been slumping) hits a 2 run bomb.  4-0 lead and that wound up being the final score.

My pitching though is ridiculous even by video game standards.  I'm almost at Legend difficulty in the Dynamic settings.  But I don't play every game, I still sim a bunch and my pitchers hurl shutouts anyway.  Syndergaard, Harvey, and, somehow, Colon are in the top 5 of ERA.  I feel like I could turn the clock back to the 80's and go with like a 7-man bench because of how rarely I need to use relievers, even the CPU doesn't use them.

5 hours ago, Cactus Drags said:

I don't know what to do, it's completely killed my enthusiasm for the game. Just had a three inning conquest game go through full 9, I managed 10 hits, but most of them were on 2 outs and the runners got stranded. They won 1-0 when Ruiz overthrew first base and let the runner from third score. Felt totally cheated, like the game was saying "this has gone on long enough."

I'm not asking to hit homers every time, but the odd one would be welcome. 

I would recommend going into the sliders and adjusting the Solid Contact slider up a bit. This will turn one or two of your pop ups or ground balls into line drives, and help you break out of the slump.

In my game, I have a few of the sliders adjusted. I have CPU Pickoffs turned completely down (they still will throw over and occasionally get me, but i felt it was unfair before), Injuries turned down slightly, CPU Trades turned down slightly, and CPU Strike Tendency turned down 2 notches. At normal, I find that even the subpar pitchers easily pound the strike zone, making it very difficult to work the count or draw a walk without quick counts. With my settings, the good pitchers still don't walk many batters, but the bad pitchers will. 

Edited by Toe
  • Like 1

I keep starting a franchise, playing a handful of games, then simulating the whole season just so I can do free agency. I've started games as the Blue Jays, Braves, Athletics, Padres, and Twins. And after I do free agency and like the way my team looks, I get tempted to start a new game as someone new.

I just started a game as the Brewers. I am going to force myself to only sim one week at a time. That will still get the season to go by quickly, but hopefully I get more attached to the team and some of the players. I traded away Matt Garza and Aaron Hill for scraps, and picked up Brandon Drury from the D-Backs to be my everyday 3rd Baseman. On opening day, he hit two home runs - one left and one right - and helped me win a close on over the Giants. 

• 1 month later...

I'm hitting better now, playing almost exclusively DD. Can't get any production out of my gold cards, but my 81 silver Colby Rasmus is virtually guaranteed a home run every game, it's so weird. I hit really well with my silver Neil Walker too. 

I started an RTTS as a short stop, called up to the Nats in August, which seems a bit quick. Although I did have a 20 game hitstreak in AA. Is there a position that's actually fun to play fielding outside of pitching? 

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone else experienced a sudden surge in their opponents batting power/accuracy during random post-season games? I've noticed an obvious difficulty spike in the post-season, but I expected that. What I am noticing right now is that two of the seven games that I have played so far in the playoffs (in this season) have seen the opposing team absolutely destroy me with home runs randomly. The first time was game two of the ALDS. Kansas City throttled me 16-2, and then every other game was either close, or I won by more than three runs.

I've noticed it in earlier iterations of the game, but it seems worse this year. Or maybe it's just my luck this go around the playoffs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody else ever run into three, four or even ten game stretches where it seems like no matter what you do, you just can't win? And not because of skill level or anything, but simply because your teams (MLB and affiliates) just seem to be fielding brain-dead morons instead of your regular players? I've gone four games straight here now between the majors and AAA, where my fielders are not responding at all... or they do respond, and I make the proper play defensively, but then when I go to throw the ball to make an out or keep a runner at bay, my fielder decides to either just lob the fucking thing, or he takes his sweet ass time making the play.

This happens every once in awhile, and then when it breaks, I wind up absolutely clobbering the shit out of the next team, and then it's back to baseball as per normal, until the next time I hit one of these rough patches.

I'm used to losing because I play with sliders that keep the games competitive... but these rough stretches aren't fun or realistic.

• 2 months later...